Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need help shipping parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5.0clay, Feb 6, 2018.

1. 5.0clay

5.0clay
    from Socal

I'm in need of advice and help for shipping my recent purchase. I live in Houston TX and traveled to Tucson AZ for work. While in Tucson I came upon a front bumper for a 53 Buick super. I want to use the bumper on my car, and purchased it from a private seller. However, I flew here and need a way to get this 6-1/2 ft long bumper home. Any suggestions? I've talked to Greyhound and they are limiting me to 6 ft. UPS wants ALOT of money ($200+) and I'm not sure how to palletize it for using Fastenal. I'm running out of options.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. I would put a ad in the classifieds for some help in moving that bumper from AZ to TX
    Vic

3. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Greyhound. Super easy and cheap

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grayhound won't take packages over 6 ft long as he said.
    From the website
    What are your package weight and size restrictions?

The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 29" H x 47" W x 82" L.
    That was off the Grayhound website.
    I think I'd be measuring that bumper again to see if it might be under 82 inches. You might just end up with a layer of cardboard on the ends of the box but it should fit if it is the 79.9 wide that it shows in the specs.
    Furniture stores are a good source for suitable cardboard boxes.
    You might check with Fastenal and see if they will take it in a good strong box rather than on a pallet as it is much lighter than the engines the guys normaly ship though them. The heavy stuff has to be on a pallet because there is no other way to move it besides forklift or pallet jack.

You might want to check with the airline and see what the limits and cost are for carrying a large oversize piece of luggage. It's shorter than a pair of skis and as long as it is under 100 lbs you should be good. You would want to make a box that could be opened enough to look inside to inspect the contents by TSA as it won't make it though the machine but outside of "Hey Bill look at this a big old bumper, hand me that roll of tape." the don't have an issue with it. Bumpers don't hurt airplanes if they are in a box. I just retire from TSA last month. You might get by with 50 to 100 bucks that way and have it with you. Maybe the thrift store has an oversize ski bag it will fit in.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    RODIST likes this.

5. 40grit

40grit

Maybe your post is a typo but 82" is over 6 1/2 feet.

John

6. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

mike bowling likes this.
  7. I would stop at a home store and get a roll of shrink wrap, a roll of packing tape, a couple packing boxes, and a utility knife. Cut the boxes to fold over the ends, wrap the whole thing in shrink wrap. Tape on a address label and send by the hound. Shipped several fenders and body parts packed like this; received similar stuff too.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Vanness likes this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

Go to Hertz, rent a car, put the bumper in the car and drive home.

Hnstray, Barrelnose pickup and wbrw32 like this.
  9. phat rat

phat rat

That could work out well. Rent one with a pass through from the trunk and it'll fit. A few years ago I was on vacation in Az. and bought a tailgate for an 02 pu in Phoenix and brought it home in the wifes Caddy. It wouldn't fit in the trunk so it rode in the backseat to Mi.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree on checking with Greyhound or the airlines. I've seen plenty of surfboards going on flights.

If this is a company trip, I assume they're paying your flight expenses. Maybe you can cancel the flight and have them pick up a car rental and a motel night in it's place as phat rat suggested.

11. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

You might try a moving and storage company ( Bekins in the Midwest)
    I shipped a 40 Ford seat to a fellow H.A.M.B. er this way and it went well. Upon arrival you go to the terminal and pick it up
    Only downside is the part might have to wait until a load is going to the destination city.
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 5.0clay

5.0clay
    from Socal

Thanks for all the suggestions . I checked with United airlines and they want $150 USD for large items like surfboards and skis (one way). And my company might get a little pissed with that, especially since I've been eating REAL good on the company card for the last 2 weeks.. haha. I checked greyhounds website and even busfreighter (which uses greyhound), however the guy at the counter told me 6 feet is the max. I didn't really want to argue what his company website says, because it could "oops" fall off the bus between stops.
    I went directly to a UPS hub today and it was about $60 cheaper than the franchise store front. Still weighing out options, but thanks for all the help so far.

13. Duke

Duke

You could try uship

14. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

Reminds me of the old story about a guy wanting to carry a 5 foot fishing rod onto a bus. He was told nothing longer than 4 feet. He got a 3 X 4 box and put the rod in diagonally. (think 3-4-5 triangle) Can you utilize the same idea and put the bumper into something at a diagonal and get within the shipping size parameters you want?

Piledrivin'Joe likes this.
  15. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

^^^^Something like a bicycle box...

16. I dropped off this 1914 Reo Chassis & Engine
    in Salinas, California this afternoon ....

I haul parts along routes anchored by vehicle transport - if you can wait until the next time
    I head east along I-10 .......

I might be able to help out.

Jim

9A7CFB93-0E20-4BC1-AE23-E39938438154.jpeg

CB387491-D5CF-414D-AF29-B1A28729F77D.jpeg

D4E54B73-8233-4415-98CB-ECFF9EDA7941.jpeg

D4BFC7B0-3634-452B-B58F-E26B2A58E972.jpeg

williebill and RICH B like this.
  17. nickleone

nickleone

Greyhound max dims ar 82l x 47w x 30h max 100#
    I shipped for 10 years with Greyhound and those were the max dims.

Nick

18. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Amtrak Freight

Cheapest way to go and they’ll take anything. There’s not a lot of info online but if you show up at the Tucson station with it in a box and ask for the freight drop area then they’ll take care of you. 3 or 4 days later it will be in Houston and you can pick it up.

40grit likes this.
  19. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I have shipped large items by Greyhound several times - a '40 Ford hood in bubble wrap from NC to LA, CA, a few years back. They offer discounts to active duty military & veterans, maybe others. I always ask.

20. phat rat

phat rat

About 10 yrs ago I shipped a Model A repop bed with Greyhound. I also did some 40 Merc frt fenders. I think wonder if it depends on who's on duty at the station at the time of drop off.