Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lighter doesnt work in my 56 chrysler???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Guys the lighter in my 56 Chrysler Windsor doesn't work. It did .Now it doesn't .I want to use it to plug my G.P.S. in to it. I am thinking that year doesnt have a fuse box. Any ideas what to look for? Thanks in advance..Bruce. 008.JPG

2. belair

belair

First world problem, Bruce. :p. Just run a wire from the fuse box or ignition. Be sure to put a fuse in somewhere. It's grounded to the dash, so just one wire if I'm guessing right.

czuch, brad2v and Bruce Fischer like this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Some lighter receptacles used a screw-on fuse in the rear of the terminal. Before tearing anything apart, stick your test light dead center in the well to verify it has or hasn't power.

4. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Light a match when needed. Just having a beautiful dash like that....don’t need the lighter. Lol

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. Some of the ones I had back in the day(after market) had the socket screwed into the back part with the wire. They did tend to work loose and in turn led to a bad ground. I put my thumb in the socket, held the back and twisted. With the battery disconnected of course. Ground or fuse is my guess.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  6. Well you all were right. I had no power to the lighter. I got my had up over the radio which was a real tight squeeze and felt there was no plug on the lighter. I pulled the glove box out and with 1 hand on top of the radio and 1 hand going through the glove box I found the plug that had fallen slipped off. Must be my mountain drive way.LOL. I got it back on good and tight and put everything back together. Now my G.P.S works for the car shows.Thanks to you all. Bruce.

czuch, loudbang, 51 BIRD and 5 others like this.
  7. Vanness

Vanness

Some guys just want to show off their dashboards, I can’t blame you...lol

8. Value of the car just went up $6.

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

That would make one hell of a roadster dash.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  10. Slopok

Slopok

Now go getcha a BIG Ol STOGIE and enjoy it!:)
    By the way, that's a cool Merc on your keychain.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    loudbang and Bruce Fischer like this.
  11. Bruce, you are just going to have to SLOW DOWN.:)

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I can almost hear Eddie Stubbs and 650 WSM broadcasting from the Grand Old Opry on your radio.

Bruce Fischer and wraymen like this.
  13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

WWVA Wheeling West Virginia was one of the AM channels that you could pick up at night on their car radio for us north easterners. The Big One 1170 on your dial 50,000 watts strong 24 hours long. Que jingle....

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Pshaw, here in Ioway we get Louisiana stations bouncing up the Mississippi river valley, KOA and KSL from out west, and WSB back east, that oldies station out of Canada etc etc. Back when radio was still the real deal it must have really been something.

302GMC and Bruce Fischer like this.
  15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bruce, do your clock and radio work? I was surprised that they both worked when I got my '56 New Yorker, especially since the car had not been run for nearly 18 years.

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Lighters are traditional

czuch and Bruce Fischer like this.
  17. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Stopping somewhere and asking directions is traditional too!... some things are better left in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bruce Fischer and nochop like this.
  18. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Now youre all set if you pick Jake Blues up from prison. [​IMG]

19. Ebbsspeed.That's the only 2 things that don't work on the car, is the radio and the clock.I have had the clock apart but still couldn't get it to work. That's ok. I just listen to the hum of the motor and the road. Bruce.

20. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Dammed old rough country roads is what it is, call the county and demand they fix it!
    GPS may not be traditional but it sure is nice...until it drives you into a lake via the boat launch.

21. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Your lighter doesn't work? I wish that was the only problem I ever had with a car, really.

czuch, bobss396 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

Back in the 50s, very few of those clocks worked very long

23. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Bruce,don't trade that car. It loves you. :rolleyes:

czuch and Bruce Fischer like this.
  24. Still on the air!

When your GPS yells at you, "TURN AROUND NOW!" as you reach where you want to be, turn it off.

25. "Switching it over to AM
    Searching for a truer sound
    Can't recall the call letters
    Steel guitar and settle down
    Catching an all-night station somewhere in Louisiana
    It sounds like 1963, but for now it sounds like heaven"

Windfall
    Son Volt, 1995

26. Sheepdip this is true. Many times we have used our G.P.S. looking for antique stores and it has taken us to farmer fields or some ones house. LOL. Bruce.

27. Dangerous Dan.I have been lucky with the 56 but I have put a lot of work in to the old girl.Thanks Bruce.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    bobss396 likes this.
  28. Manyocars.You are right. But on the Buicks I have owned .The clocks have a set of points on them .Many times I have taken the clocks apart and filed down the points oiled them and they have started working again. The Chrysler clock is different. Bruce.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    302GMC and belair like this.
  29. 51Bird.I MISS my station wagons!!!!!! lol.Bruce.

30. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Bruce, pull the vibrator & OZ4 tubes & test or replace with known working tubes .. those are the 2 most likely problems. The vibrator may have points burnt together, and usually can be saved ...