Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting wired!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Dec 20, 2005.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Ok here's a common problem - at least with the guys I know and it came up again while wanting to set up my '47 to tow with.

You've got an old hot rod and want to run an ancient 3 wire turn signal switch. Problem is those were designed for multi bulb tail lights and your hot rod ain't got those. If you're lucky you'll have a twin filament tail light bulb, but this will work (sans parking lights) with a single filament bulb. What I wanted to do was to have the BRAKE LIGHTS also double duty as TURN SIGNALS. Much like some modern (modern as of 40 years ago) stuff works.

BTW - I searched the web and found a "kit" that allows this to be done somewhat inexpensively, BUT!!!!!!!! it is a huge compromise as all it does is to DIM your STOP LIGHTS so that your turn signal gets BRIGHTER when used. I suppose that's OK but having nearly been rear ended on more than one occasion I want them rear STOP LIGHTS as bright as possible. I also broke down in the '47 this past summer - no biggie but there weren't any street lights and it was in teh middle of a construction area - Hazzard Lights sure would have been nice.

So.....long story short - here's my solution...... it will allow your front marker lights to double as turn signal lights and your STOP LIGHTS will double as TURN SIGNAL lights in combination with your rear RUNNIGN LIGHTS (if you have those). The addition of a single throw double pole switch will also allow you to hook up hazzards - which I left out of the schematic to make it simpler to understand. But once you look at it - it will be obvious how easy that part would be.

BTW - my POS sofware at home doesn't allow me to get a "CLEAN" .jpeg to post - so I had to "hot rod" that for a easy solution - snap a pic of my drawing!

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

I guess it'll work, but it would have been more elegant if you could have snuck a few vacuum tubes into the design

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I tried like hell for elegant - nada. I also tried like hell to avoid the 2 relays - strike two - nothing that would solve all the issues I had. I'm totally open to see how others have solved this problem - short of the 7 wire turn signal switches.

Got a BETTER WAY??? I'm all ears.......

4. squirrel

squirrel

how about a 555 and a couple CMOS chips?

seriously....ever heard of hand signals?

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Hand signals don't work all that great at night - especially tough for use as hazzards.....

Yeah I thought of the 555 timer - and some other junk - but it defies "no parts I can't trouble shoot on the side of the road" credo. I will set this up with jumpers to allow the brake lights to work should a contact burn. I also socketed the relays and will have a spare in the glove box.

On the other hand, I do have a 555 timer controlling the flashing arrow on my Firestone sign......

You might of missed it in my first post - I am setting my '47 (Ford truck) up as a tow vehicle. I will be towing my FED with it and REALLY do need this to be functional - hand signals really aren't a option while pulling. Hazzards are also more than a nicety in certain situations.

My last tow experience while towing was with my '37 (Chevy truck) - a downpour and 2 stray drips of water fried my brake controller locking the trailer brakes on ...... not a big fan of "electronics" since then. As a result the '47 got an old fashioned Brake controller that you plumb into your brake line - sure it's crude as hell but it is simple and effective - plus a little moisture won't piss it off.

6. Andy P

Andy P
    from UK

Excellent stuff! This is pretty much exactly what I have been scratching my head over for the past week! The only difference with the system on my ’33 truck is that I have mechanical brakes, so have a brake switch that grounds when the brakes are applied – how would this work with your scheme?

Thanks again!

Andy

7. bcarlson

bcarlson

LOL! :)

Ben

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Hi Andy, Keep two things in mind.....I just woke up AND I'm not really a "wire bender" I'm MECHANICAL by nature - electrons are a necessary evil in my book:rolleyes:

With that said, I think something like the pic below would work for your situation (If I understand it right)

I added another pic to show the kind of aftermarket turn signals I am working with.

Attached Files:

9. 4tford

4tford

Nice job looks like it will work fine. Those double pole relays could be alittle pricey though.

10. Andy P

Andy P
    from UK

Hey - me too! I quite enjoy wiring and can do the basics, but this job had be a bit stumped. Thanks for the sketch, will give it a go during the holidays.

11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Andy, Be sure to let us know how you make out.

FWIW - I started on mine today - the relays I used are a bit ENORMOUS (there's some about 1/3 this size that'd work fine) and I'm sure the Electronic Fellas will get a good laugh out of this, but I like circuits that are simple and effective (it's the simpleton in me I guess)- in this case COST EFFECTIVE being the key factor - all this stuff was FREE ! Although they are a bit large and clunky - it beats throwing down for some overpriced store bought harness that STILL might not accomodate my ancient 3 wire turn signal switch anyways.

Low Brow Engineering - Engineering solutions for us simpletons! Unfortunately elegant can get lost in the mix ocasssionally.....them's the brakes! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk - Hey Moe!!!

Of course now that I wired this all up -I suppose someone's waiting to spring a real easy solution for this problem......oh well.............

Attached Files:

12. Andy P

Andy P
    from UK

Thought I'd bring this thread back up to say thanks to HemiRambler for explaining how to lay out this system and for providing the wiring diagram. I have just successfully completed the system on my '33 Ford truck that I'm 'throwing' together for the summer and to it registered. You will see from the pictures below that I did mine system slightly differently, by using a 'modern' 3 wire flasher relay, and using two automotive single pole change over relays for each side (couldn't find automotive type double pole relays). Wiring layout is purely functional :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

AndyP, Very NICE!!!! Can you post a pic of the schematic?? I'd like to see how you did all the details. BTW - those sticky backed tie wrap mounts will come loose in short order - at least they will if they're at all like the ones I am familiar with. Been there done that! Course THAT was a few years back maybe the adhesive is better nowadays. Where I work they peel the adhesive off and epoxy them in place.

Very nice work - it's always impressive to see nicely laid out wiring in a Hot Rod!!!!

14. Andy P

Andy P
    from UK

Here's my very rough sketch I did based on your original diagram (sorry about the coffee cup stains!). I think what we call 'side lights' in the UK, are parking lamps in the US? Also the terminal numbers are (European?) standard Bosch automotive classifications.

Thanks for the praise, but as I mentioned, all this really is just a kinda trial / temporary build for the summer (so hopefully the sticky pads should hold!). The truck is just pretty much stock at the moment, then I'll be tearing the whole thing down, and building a proper hot rod :)

[​IMG]