Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

Chrysler Straight Eight 324 cu in

Discussion in 'Parts For Sale' started by Barn Find, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

City: Columbia

State: Missouri
    Price: $3,950
    SOLD

I pulled this motor out of a 1939 Chrysler Imperial in 2004. The engine number is C23-10174. It is a 324 cubic inch, eight cylinder engine. Similar Engines eights were used in Chrysler Airflow, Saratoga, New Yorker, and Crown Imperials from 1934 to 1950.

It has been test fired, but has not had any serious time or miles on it since the overhaul in 2004. We just pulled the head and oil pan to make sure everything is still, bright shiny and new inside.

Here is a list of what was done to rebuild this engine:

Degreased head and block

Magna-fluxed head and block to make sure there were no cracks

Resurfaced the head

Ground the crankshaft and new bearings for .030 over rod mains and .020 over main bearings.

Reconditioned all eight connecting rods

Bore-honed and replaced all eight wrist pin bushings

Bored all cylinders to 3.25" + 0.080" with .003 additional clearance.

Checked line bore

Replaced cam bushings

Installed 16 new valve guides

Installed 3 new valve seats

Ground 16 valve seats

Installed new water distribution tube

Rebuilt water pump

Rebuilt carburetor

new points, condensor, spark plug wires, spark plugs

It can be bolted to any transmission and flywheel housing as a common MOPAR six cylinder. That includes antique tractors like Wards, Superior, and others that used the Chrysler industrial motor. That's how I was able to put a Dodge truck flywheel housing on it. It retains the original flywheel.

I will send the flywheel housing with the motor. If your are interested in a hot rod or custom sort of like I was planning, we can work the truck transmission and new clutch components into the deal as well as the truck starter.

I apologize for the odd color paint. It was placed in a WWII military 4x4 Dodge 3/4-ton WC chassis (early Power Wagon), so that green was close to faded Olive Drab.

Offers are welcome. I'll work with potential buyers on getting quotes for shipping, crating and delivering to a LTL common carrier or method of your choice.

more photos posted at http://imageevent.com/shaggy/chrysler

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Since it had been 13 years since the motor was rebuilt and it had been started occasionally during that time, It took the head and pan off recently to make sure everything inside is still new and clean. Everything still looks great. I put it back together with new assembly lube and gaskets and painted it silver, which is what I think it should have been originally. I did not do a cosmetic, restoration however. For a show, car you are going to want to improve on the outward appearance, but the internals are built to run a long time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

More photos are at http://imageevent.com/shaggy/chrysler

3. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Price negotiable. I can ship to either coast for reasonable cost.

4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri