Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford front end question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by basicbob, Jan 31, 2018.

1. basicbob

basicbob

image.jpg image.jpg Since I'm old & have had 32's for 56 years this front end confuses me!

What is going on front axle that is not "normal"?

I understand Posie's elliptical (pass mount at axle looks twisted?) but what is going on middle of radiator. Looks weird to me, can't find steering pitman arm or rack.

Neat looking roadster

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like an idler arm disguised as a crank?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Agreed, looks like a pitman arm or bell crank set up. Like to see the backside of the axle and radiator.

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I don't see a drag link or anything attached to the spindle, so not sure how it actually steers. Maybe that arm pivots on the back of the axle. Or maybe there is another one behind the radiator, on a common shaft, and that is connected to a steering box. But then there is the "why" part.

5. Fordors

Fordors

A lot of ‘60’s front engine dragsters ran a set up like that. Stiletto (sp?) made a rack and pinion with the output centered and that connected to the bellcrank with the two tie rods as shown.
    As an alternative if a Uni-Steer rack was used and it was connected to a lever on the back of this deal it could work, couldn’t it? Posie is known for different stuff, maybe just for shock value.

6. that is weird..can we get more pictures?

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That don't look like a '32. Or are you referring just to the axle itself?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  8. Doctorterry likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

The question then is how does the push-pull motion turn to left-right when the boomerang is vertical instead of horizontal?

10. BJR

BJR

If you blow up the photo and look close, it looks like a drag link going to the drivers side spindle. Just out side of the drivers side spring. The steering arm on the spindle must be bent down and is hidden behind the axle in the picture.

11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know how the car is set up for the steering from the wheel to the front axle, maybe cross steer so its behind the passenger wheel in the picture and we cant see it? This set up looks to me to be a real handy item to have if your moving your car around by yourself and need to steer it without being inside the car!

Doctorterry likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Show car. The handle is to steer it on and off the trailer.

This would toe in and out as the suspension cycled, making for dangerous steering and handling.

Doctorterry likes this.
  13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

BJR is correct, if you look closely you can just make it out. Another gimmick that the owner thinks looks cool. Just adding more things to polish on a trailer queen.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike