Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1935 Ford pick up build "MOR shop truck"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ckdesigns, Jan 24, 2018.

1. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Last August I picked up a '35 Ford pick up, I wasn't really in the market to build another hot rod since my garage was already full but when I went and looked at it I couldn't pass it up. It already had been converted to juice brakes and the only major things it was missing were a motor and radiator. I found a 1949 Merc 8CM that came out of a running car and another friend had a radiator. I didn't really do anything with the truck until last Monday when I had it towed home. Within the next couple days I got the bed and cab pulled off. I own a small skateboard company called MOR My Other Ride and this will be the shop truck. IMG_5926 2.JPG IMG_5937.JPG IMG_5941.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I had been debating on using the three speed that was in it or if I should put in a T5, my original plan was to just stick a flathead in it and drive it around town and hopefully drive it a lot. This and when I looked up the transmission and it was a '39 I figured I'd stick to the three speed. Tonight I found that it wouldn't shift so I opened it and found some minor surface rust on the shifting mechanism rods and after a little PB blaster and some persuasion it was shifting so I changed the oil and closed it back up. IMG_6064.JPG IMG_6058.JPG

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Give it a whirl it might be fun just as it is and it does have a nice solid naturally aged look...Awesome base to expand on and it'll make a nice parts runner.

MMM1693, AVater and ckdesigns like this.

4. 35's are great trucks.
    I like your "just get it together and going " approach.

Stogy likes this.
  5. ...neat truck,...but that first pic gave me a scare,..sure hope you had at least two cables or chains holdin that truck on the roolback, if it came loose you've got no where to go , but if you got run over at least that truck is a cool one
    good luck with it.

6. bct

bct

Definitely watching

7. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Appears to have a '36 grille shell. Maybe just camera angle, but sure looks like '36. Windshield posts appear to be '35 for the cab.

MMM1693 likes this.
  8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

After seeing your picture, I had to go out to the garage and see if mine was still there. Still there with stuff piled on top. Same color with white front wheel and missing engine and radiator. Also has hydraulic brakes.
    355.JPG

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and ckdesigns like this.
  9. How can you tell the difference between the 35 and 36 grilles?

10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

36 radiator shell is about 2" thicker than 35 as seen from the side.

MMM1693 likes this.
  11. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

12. Thank you Sir. Now I know that I have a 36 Grille and not a 35.

13. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Definitely a 36 Grill. If the bumper brackets go through rectangular hole on the front fenders, those are 35 fenders, if the front fenders are open below the bumper brackets those are 36 fenders.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    ckdesigns and loudbang like this.
  14. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Show us a picture of the cowl area near the base of the windshield to make sure you've got a '35 cab. '35 has a more defined body line, where the '36 just kind of flows.

15. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I hadn't paid much attention until everyone raised questions, I snapped a few photos and it appears I have one '35 fender and one '36. My hood is '35 and i'm not sure what to look for in the body line on the cowl.
    IMG_6068.JPG IMG_6069.JPG IMG_6070.JPG

Attached Files:

16. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

A very cool truck and project. I just bought a '36 1 1/2ton truck and a few days later picked up a pickup box and frame for it. I am learning already from your thread!

ckdesigns likes this.
  17. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brush the snow away at the bottom of the windshield posts. It does appear to be '35, but a clear of snow picture would clinch it. Cool project by the way.

18. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

19. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Got some time in the garage today so I figured I would get the gas tank out, of all the old cars I have dealt with in the past 5 years 90% of my problems have been fuel related and I don't want to continue the trend with this one. The bolts that hold the tank in were not even thinking about coming loose even after soaking for a few days with PB Blaster so I cut them off. Once I got the tank out I could hear a decent amount of rust flakes sliding around inside so I removed the sending unit to have a look inside. I really was hoping that it didn't look this bad, I guess it's time to buy a new tank. Any suggestions? I recently put a stainless one from Tanks Inc. in the '36 sedan but I don't want to spend that much on the tank for this guy.
    IMG_6078.JPG IMG_6087.JPG IMG_6093.JPG

Attached Files:

21. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Last night we set the motor in so I can figure out the exhaust and motor mounts. There doesn't seem to be enough room for headers to clear the steering box and the water pumps/ motor mounts are about 4" above the cross member. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. alchemy

alchemy

Getusome '49 pickup water pumps. They will be much closer to the crossmember. I think Drake and others have good repros.

23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Your Flathead looks like a 49-53 a later one. Your going to need spacers like these for putting a later flat head in a earlier frame. C&G Ford Parts has them.You will need the 8RT water pumps too.[​IMG]

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I was going to do this when I had my 35 Pickup. You'll also need a rear sump oil pan.[​IMG]

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

This truck is a 36

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Nice truck! That trans is not a 39 however...it looks like a 38 double detent, but with the smaller front shift fork. Still a decent trans to run.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  27. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

The serial number says it is '39, but I'd love to figure out what it actually is.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. The syncro hub is the 38-earlier type. That's the first clue. 39-up has a lot different looking slider, the fork is placed father back on the hub. And although your tower is a double detent, I would bet the large fork has an 81A part number. 1939-up forks are a tad wider, and the large fork has a part number of 91A-7230

29. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Reversed the main front leaf and removed a couple leafs. I also decided to register this thing for the Autorama here which is 18 days away. This should be fun. [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.