Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lytles Garage 34 5w Fuel Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51farmtruck, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Damn, you got pretty far since yesterday, it's like TV :D
    Looks good

Outback, 51farmtruck and loudbang like this.
  2. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Once the body was halfway mounted, it's almost mandatory to do a quick mockup.

The rear wheels are 16x8.5 americans that mean a lot to us. My dad had these wheels in 1969 on his high school 39 chevy coupe. He sold it and hasn't been able to find it since. Who would figure 40 years later @t_wood_08 would buy these wheels and low and behold on the back was my dads named engraved into them. My dad bought them.

53.JPG 54.JPG 55.JPG 56.JPG 57.JPG

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

I love when people can look at a pile of rusty, twisted metal and see a future for it. Lots of work but it looks excellent. That mockup is sexy as hell! Congratulations on a great job so far- can't wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

51farmtruck and loudbang like this.
  4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

2 pages and no mention of motor, trans combo, that's not like a Lytle.............................................................

loudbang likes this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow what a change from the first photo of it. That may come out even more wicked than the sedan. I got to check it out at Monitor last year IMG_3668.JPG

triumph 1, catdad49, alfin32 and 5 others like this.
  6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That thing sits bitchn. The wheels found a good home.

-Abone.

loudbang and 51farmtruck like this.
  7. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

The rear body mount serves a dual purpose as the mount and parachute mount. So we bent up a simple hoop that would be used as both. This is when we started noticing the rear of the body wasn't quite right, so we didn't finish off the mount.

59.JPG 60.JPG 61.JPG

It turns out the hamburger repair on the drivers quarter made it about 3/4" shorter than the passenger side. I didn't notice it doing the quarter tips since you could twist and pull the back of the body every which way, since you know... it was a total pile of shit.

Since it would be a pain in the ass to make a patch strip, we decided to shorten the pass quarter the 3/4". In the end it worked out perfectly, it takes out some of the sweep of the back of the wheelwells that you see on all fenderless 34's. So now its a bobbed 34.

This was perfect timing to repair the hot dog neck on the back of the body (picture the back of fat guys neck looking up) with a new above decklid panel from SAR. My dad formed the patches for the top of the quarters and neck on both sides of the body. Now the whole lower body is square and true and we could finalize the body/chute mount.

65.JPG 66.JPG 67.JPG 68.JPG 69.JPG 70.JPG 71.JPG 72.JPG 73.JPG 74.JPG 75.JPG 76.JPG 77.JPG 78.JPG 79.JPG 80.JPG

8. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Thanks and thanks for the picture!

loudbang likes this.
  9. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Awesome build!

10. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

The rearend in the car is a butt cheek 9" with heavy wall tubes and will be back braced. The center section is a nodular strange unit with 3.89 gears, spool, 35 spline axles and strange disc brakes. It is solid mounted.

62.JPG 63.JPG 64.JPG

11. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

The engine for the car is my dads @Lytles Garage. It was destined to go in a AWB 65 comet he was building, and ended up selling it to build this car. It's a 406 cu in SBC with aDart block, Brodix heads, TD shaft rockers, Isky cam, MSD 20 amp front drive mag, Cola crank , Manley rods, 14-71 magnesium Blower, magnesium Enderle square bird injector. It will run on alcohol.

85.JPG 86.JPG 87.JPG

We put the engine in a few different locations trying to figure out if we wanted it to stick through the hood or not. We ended up putting it in low and far enough back that it all fits under the uncut hood. Since everything is solid mounted and it will have a solid funny car style driveshaft the alignment was critical.

88.JPG 89.JPG 90.JPG

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    catdad49, alfin32, Just Gary and 18 others like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great work Kid ! I am always impressed with the cars you guys bring to Toutle, and it's great to visit with your Dad.

1947knuck, 51farmtruck and loudbang like this.
  13. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I wish I knew the comet was for sale....

loudbang likes this.
  14. 34trunkgutters.jpg CQQL! Are you going to tie the sub rails into your mounts? Or are you even considering sub rails? I was looking at your really nice body mounts and thinking if you slotted the mounting holes, it'd give you another adjustment option..moving the bottoms of the quarters in or out. Problem is, it may adjust itself under twisted acceleration. Just typing out loud.
    BTW, I think it's Macs who has trunk gutters...something like $180. Mine were toast so I got a set....very nice parts.

15. loudbang

loudbang

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It took a minute but now it all makes sense, a rare escapee from Bruce's yard......................................................

loudbang likes this.
  17. John Starr

John Starr

When your finished with it, you can park it in my garage!

18. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Thanks a lot Marty! See you at Toutle!

loudbang likes this.
  19. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

There won't be any subrails. The body will be able to come on and off around the cage. This won't have any trunk gutters either, too much weight :D. Just an aluminum decklid skin dzus'd on.

Yep, went from bruces to spokane for a few years. Now it's back within a mile from where it sat. Funny how that works.

20. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

It was time to make it into the mean bitch that it was meant to be. After some deliberating on how much to take out, we came to a final number of 5" out of the back. The front came out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 1/2" with the cowl cut and pillars leaned back.

91.JPG 92.JPG 93.JPG 94.JPG 95.JPG 96.JPG 97.JPG 98.JPG 99.JPG 100.JPG 101.JPG 102.JPG 103.JPG 104.JPG

catdad49, alfin32, 51box and 18 others like this.
  21. Very cool. Keep the updates coming.

22. frank spittle

frank spittle

Nice work. Love '34 Ford fuel coupes.

23. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

105.JPG

When we got the coupe it looked like it had spent some time on its lid. It was smashed and squeezed and pretty messed up. At one point it had an insert that was leaded in, I melted out about 10lbs of it around the tack strip. At some point it had half a drivers cowl and a pillar from a 34 spliced on, which we're guessing happened the same time as the quarter replacement.

The drip rails on both sides were really messed up. My dad @Lytles Garage made up some tooling to form and make the drip rails for each side. He made the rails for both sides. The drip rails get pretty messed up when you slice the top to lean the pillars forward. This allowed us to dial in the sweep and angle transition from the pillar to the roof, and it makes the profile of the angle chop very evident from the side view.

106.JPG 107.JPG 108.JPG 109.JPG

catdad49, alfin32, Matthias and 12 others like this.
  24. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

The quarter windows on chopped 5w's is sometimes questionable. The kink factor on the body lines always seems to happen when they get chopped. Some are worse than others. @Lytles Garage made this little multi step jig to remedy that. He tried a few pieces, but after quite a bit of cussing it was handed off to me. It took me a lot of fuck ups to get a couple that would work out.

These and the rear window still need some massaging once the whole chop is welded up but the end product should look proper.

A little tip I use that might help someone out down the road: I use a sharpie to mark the bodylines, this helps me immensely on getting the lines to flow. You can see the use of it around the quarter windows.
    110.JPG 111.JPG 112.JPG 113.JPG 114.JPG 115.JPG 116.JPG 117.JPG 118.JPG 119.JPG

25. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Deucecoupe

Deucecoupe

Excellent work ! Looks fantastic ! You guy's are good !

27. sweet. I'm in......

28. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Looking good thanks for all the pics.

29. loudbang

loudbang

Window came out great.