Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Red plastic fuel hose

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 46international, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Helix Racing appears to be in the motorcycle industry so I wouldn't think much crossover.

46international likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd sue them anyways. They sell colored fuel line.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I pulled that stuff off a couple of cars for guys in the 60's and replaced it with real fuel line. One of them had that red line and the clear transparent red spark plug wires that were real entertaining at night. Some good black hose from Napa and a set of Packard 440 wires fixed that one.
    It is one of those things was a bad joke then and is a bad joke now.

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

5. SpeedJunkee

SpeedJunkee
    Alliance Vendor

I have never used the red fuel line. I have had many customers that had used it and changed it out to just black rubber line with in a year or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. With the way it is now with all the laywers, you would think speedway would not sell it if it was not safe. But anyway I'm not taking the chance. thanks again for the replies.

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

I'm all for looks until safety becomes an issue. I use fuel injection line or hard metal lines, cost is up there either way, but who needs an engine fire?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I've been red line for 3-4 years now. I have the nylon reinforced and if your going to run red the nylon braided is the only way to go. The speedway stuff is brittle right out of get go. It reminds me of Harbor Freights air line.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

9. XXL__

XXL__

You could edit your original post so future post readers don't light their torches prematurely based on your comment.

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have red fuel lines on my '40. Due to the horror stories and things mentioned above, I replace mine annually. Keeps it red, too!
    DSC03113.JPG

11. where do you get the nylon reenforced red hose?

12. How about blue? This has been on here since the 60s (but I don't think it ever had gas in it until now.) I found a roll of new stuff from some snowmobile place that is a pretty close match. I plan to keep it freshened up occasionally.
    image.jpeg

13. hotrod428

hotrod428

Back in the 60s I bought the clear red fuel lines and sparkplug wires from J C Whitney for my 50 Ford. I didn't have any issues with the fuel lines but everytime I started my car I would screw up all the neighbors TV reception and it was a light show under the hood at night.

dwollam likes this.
  14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I hope you guys running the plastic fuel hose red or blue have good insurance that includes fire coverage.

And always carry around a 20 lb dry chemical fire extinguisher.

It’s only a matter of time till you’ll need both.

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Fuel lines are nowhere to skimp on. I run hard lines where I can, with a short section of fuel injection rubber hose for vibration and movement. The fuel injection rubber hose lasts better than the standard fuel hose. Nothing prettier in my eyes than a well thought out and bent set of hard lines, if they are polished, it's just double good.

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

On my 47 Chevy, polished SS tubing, covered with the transparent red fuel hose. clear+fuel+lines.jpg

XXL__ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Helix high pressure fuel line in different colors and sizes with factory specs on its products. Helixrp.com

19. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Please change yours now, I personally witnessed a friend talking about" I don't know what the fuss is about ", had mine for years, never a problem, just as he flicks it with his hand , I watched 3 faded red lines crumble into pieces, as he goes , oh ... maybe it is a problem?!

20. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Black fuel line is traditional, lol.