Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford aod and old schoolers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by S10_37, Jan 5, 2018.

1. S10_37

S10_37

My bargain aod turning out to be more work than I bargained. Tv cables or rod if not included are expensive. Make sure to ask for all you can get for example block plate, flex plate (correct balance) I got more in hardware than trans. Well I have new lessons in setting pressure and all that stuff. 351w aod in 31 model A.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

golferforpar likes this.
  2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

You went the simple route of putting it behind a Windsor. The Lokar TV cables are well worth their money and make setting it up much easier. I have stuffed AOD's into a bunch of old cars and trucks behind a bunch of different motors for people, you simply can't beat the highway performance. Lately though, I have gotten into sticking those things behind FE's. Then the fun really begins with things like bell housing adapters, or cutting off the bell and adding a Quicktime bell, custom torque convertors, OD lock-up elimination, etc.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Rick Hegdahl and fauj like this.
  3. Rick Hegdahl

Rick Hegdahl

I have a C4 behind my '52 flattie in my '40 Ford.
    How much trouble would I have swapping out to an AOD?

4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have an AOD I was going to put behind the roller 302 going in my '32 coupe, instead I put a C4 behind that and am using the AOD behind the FE in my '62 unibody.

Using this setup on mine:
    https://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_fe.htm

Should be fun!
    SPark

5. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I run an AOD behind my 351w, remember this, AOD's don't go through the torque converter in 4th gear, its direct drive. If you have a tall rear end, it will really bog the engine. I had a 3:50 rear ratio with large tires and my rpm was around 1700 at 70mph. Know what rear end ratio you have, its important.

Rick Hegdahl likes this.
  6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The Bendtsen Adaptor has 2 big advantages over cutting the bell off and adapting a Cruis-O or Quicktime Bell.

1: You can fit a 12" convertor in, which generally allow much lower stall speeds and better highway performance.
    2: It works with a stock (cheap) torque convertor.

The down side (besides cost) is that it is 1.5" thick and in a small(ish) car, that real estate is valuable. A buddy of mine is using the Bendsten Adaptor to mount an AOD behind his very healthy 428 FE in a '64 Mercury Marauder. Between the steering sector, the large tube headers, and the adaptor, there is very little room. He has had to shift the motor forward and to the passenger side to get everything to fit, which required building custom mounts and relocating a few other items.

Most FE guys do the Lock-Up delete option on an AOD anyways, because even a mildish FE is more then capable of twisting apart the AOD 2 piece input shaft. Then you are back to a custom torque convertor and that eliminates Advantage #2.