Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Canadian Pontiacs - Whats Up ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turdmagnet, Sep 19, 2008.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I wanted to ask @VirgilHilts a question but I see he has not posted for two years.
    Man, for a guy that claims not to be a historian he is quite knowledgeable and articulate.

@j-jock, a year or two OT based on HAMB guidelines but here goes.
    This question is not related to the Canadian Pontiac but the Canadian built 66/67 Chevy II/Novas, not the Acadian Canso.
    I tried this on the HAMB's ChevyII thread but got no takers.
    These cars for some reason have tail light housings that are chrome plated pot metal where the U.S. versions are stamped aluminum, and I'm not talking about the Acadian badged cars that have their own pot metal version housings.
    Wondering if you know anything as to why they were mfg. this way when they could have used the U.S. made versions as they did (to my knowledge) use the same body sheetmetal.

3. Slow down

Slow down

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  4. I had a 1957 Canadian Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1 of 682 built in Canada based on the Chev Sedan Delivery chassis & body shell but with Poncho front & rear clip.........all body rubbers & suspension bushes were Chev incl the ball jointed front suspension instead of the Pontaic kingpin style............sold it unfinished & unsure what happened to it..........here in Oz our 55/56/57 Pontiacs were ex US 4dr sedans, V8's & manual trans on the Pontiac king pin chassis, and used the 1955 Chev dash which was easy for the factory to convert to RHD...............no proper RHD 55/56/57 Pontiac dash has been made as far as I am aware........my car had the 261 & manual trans..............andyd

Attached Files:

41 coupe likes this.
  5. I don't know enough about the differences between the Canadian Acadians and the US made Chevy II and Chevelles to comment on the subtile differences between the cars. In those days, we were just driving them, not restoring them.
    Bob

6. GLHS60

GLHS60

Great thread !!

I just found it while researching Canadian Pontiac history and their dealers.

I guess it would be fair to say all Pontiacs eventually became Canadian Pontiacs.

Thanks
    Randy

7. Canadian Pontiac = Chevy motor, Chevy frame. All the suspension is Chevy.
    (NO clue why they did this.)
    A sharp parts guy used to know to ask what you had.
    I don't think they make sharp parts guys any more.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So the Pontiac guys can say they have a "Corvette engine":D

Unkl Ian, GLHS60 and swade41 like this.
  9. GLHS60

GLHS60

The article explains the history nicely.

Probably more interesting to Canadians.

Thanks
    Randy

Unkl Ian likes this.
  10. My 1954 Pontiac DeLuxe (Canadian) had a FLAT HEAD 6 - not a Chevy! Pontiac grill, a unique hood to fit the Chev body - but handle the sunken "waterfall", a Pontiac dash and wheel as well as Pontiac side trim and hub caps.
    You may also notice on the beautiful and unique '67 Beaumonts, that along with the unique grill and tail end, and in addition to sporting a LeMans/GTO dash; it also wore the Lemans type "gills" on the quarters..

My Poncho after "nosing and decking" back in the late '60s:
    1954Pont.jpg

-Dave

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Back when, it was more of a challenge finding '50 Pontiac tailights for building a hot rod since they only came on American cars. Now, the exclusive factor of having them is gone.

Unkl Ian likes this.