Register now to get rid of these ads!

History '64 Galaxie slide-away steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Does anyone know or have an idea how to find out the production number for 1964 Ford Galaxies with the slide-away steering option? This is one that I owned many yrs. ago and it's original window sticker. I was always curious as to how many might have had this clever option. Thanks, Don. 03142016.jpg

2. Well it was a Thunder option or most often found in the thunder hawk. I haven't seen many Galaxies with the option.

let me do a quick search and see what I can come up with.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Thanks 'beaner.:)

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Man, Don, I want that fastback...

5. ......................Sure wish I still had it.:(

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't know that was even offered in anything except the Thunderbird. My across the street neighbor had a fully loaded out 64 Galaxy 500 XL (she was the office manager at the local Ford Garage in McGregor TX) in 1969 that I thought had every option on the list but didn't have that one that I know of.

7. R Pope

R Pope

Several Merc Marauders around here with that "fat man wheel". Not real popular because they require a column shifter.

8. Muttley

Muttley

No way you'd ever see anything like this today, slam the door on a new car and it's probably totaled.

[​IMG]

9. It was not an option that one could just hang on there. The swing away wheel had a custom built dash to accommodate the swinging column. I have looked every everywhere and not found an production numbers only that it was offered in the Galaxie beginning the '63 Model yearn and @ "25+ dollars most buyers had to choose between the fancy floor shift and the swinging column." I thought was an interesting insight given by the Galaxie Club of America.

10. ..................I don't think they were available on the XLs because of their console and floor shift. Mine was the less expensive Galaxie 500 with bench seat and column shifted automatic.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In 1965, I had a lady customer with a '62 Ford Galaxie. I was doing a service (and replacing the left engine mount, which had been broken for some time; she bought the car from a previous owner.
    Bench seat, column shift Cruisomatic.
    When I finished the job, I got in to road test it, and the wheel started to move over, with the whole mast! I moved it to the right, noting the lower dash valance moving with it.

I was surprised, as I'd only seen this option in T-Birds.
    Needless to say, my customer was astonished. The engine mount had been broken before she bought the car, so the release was jammed from the engine settling to a lower height on that side. (left)
    She sure appreciated her new option, once I demonstrated its use...

Ex San Jose Ford parts mgr. Preston Ledbetter (F100 parts unltd) conceded that option on Ford full size passenger cars was first made available in '61!

I looked for a donor car with one ('63) for my white '63-1/2 Fastback for a few years.

Finally, I found one! Parts car offered by a heavy set gal south of here, in Madera. Car was a '63 Boxtop, Craigslist ad said it had 'move-over steering', among other options.
    Called her, and she said she wanted $2K for the steering parts, (everything necessary for the conversion)
    A 'knowlegable classic car dealer' had told her that option was worth 'Three Thousand', and any less would be sacrificing it.
    Never got it, dammit...Red interior, too. (just like mine)

12. Wow, loved seeing your '64 Galaxie's pic. My mother had the twin to yours without the sliding column. White with black interior, 390 / Cruise-o-matic. She bought the car new (traded in a '58 Sunliner for it). That's the car I learned to drive in and will always hold a special place in my memories. Thanks for posting

13. ............That's fascinating, Mike. I had no idea it was available in'61. I wonder if he meant that it became available in the T-Bird in '61?:confused:

14. Anyone else have information on the production numbers of these Galaxies?

15. ken bogren

ken bogren

My Dad had a new 1964 Galaxie sedan with that option.

16. slowmotion

slowmotion

I remember the old man's '64 Bird with it. Never knew it was available otherwise 'til I read it on here a couple of years ago.
    Nice Galaxy you had there btw, Don.

17. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

The XL's had them. It was called a swing-away. It had a column shift. It was a column shift to lock the swing away when it wasn't in park, a nice safety feature. The console was there, but it didn't have a hole for a shifter. I believe you could order a regular column shift XL as well.
    You can also find this console in bucket seat Fairlanes with a column shift.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  18. I've seen just a couple of those columns in full size Mercurys of that vintage but never in a full size Ford. Seen just a couple more than that in T-Birds and Lincolns, I think.

As a friend of mine who was trying to make a point about a rare option on a car of his liked to say, "They only built three of them that way, and the other two burned on the assembly line!" :rolleyes:

19. Wow, Thanks rush549. Never knew that. The XL version must have been extremely rare and unusual. Sure would like to know how many of those came through.

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I like the term "Fat Mans" column , need that option added to my 32 !

21. Potsmx

Potsmx

22. Thanks, Potsmx.:)

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I bought a special ordered 63 1/2 galaxie off a Ford dealer used car lot in 69 . The service manager had special ordered it with a 406 tri power and bench seat with the swing away steering column. Great conversation piece the first time someone got in the car. The car was red with a black vinyl top and red cloth interior. Should have kept it.

alphabet soup and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Bet that was a beauty.

alphabet soup and lothianwilly71 like this.
  25. egads

egads

My lowly little 500 has one ( swingaway ,power steering ,power brakes ,air ,power windows ,power 20170812_120240.jpeg seat ,am-fm, 300 horse 390 ,backup lights ,bumper guards, all factory installed)

26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a buddy who had 1 of these in his 64 T'bird. The car was in real nice shape but had sat for some time and the wiring became brittle. He started having electrical issues and discovered the harness on the column had broken wires in it near the point where the pivot was.

27. Potsmx

Potsmx

Nice car egads, can you show us hows the swing away colum works in your Galaxie?

I dont know if one of a thunder can adapt to a Galaxie, it will be needed something more than the column

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wasn't that also an option on the early Mustangs?

29. .........Never heard that, but I guess anything is possible. They did have a long list of available options to make the car "yours". I've never seen one.

30. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

I have a friend who has a '67 or '68 Mustang coupe with the swing away steering wheel which appears to be a factory installed setup.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app