Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1973 & 1974 LODI Mini Nats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Nice pictures - thanks for sharing !

HEMI32 likes this.
  2. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Awesome pictures. Crazy, the festival grounds look exactly the same! This is a hot rod town for sure.

HEMI32 likes this.
  3. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Nothin wrong with those rest-rods!!!!

HEMI32 likes this.
  4. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

Those poker runs were great. Took you all over the country side.

AHotRod and HEMI32 like this.
  5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - Bitchn' stuff

HEMI32 likes this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Shiny paint, me likey! Thanks for posting!

flyin-t and HEMI32 like this.
  7. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

In additions to the great engineering, John could really handle that thing. Kinda like a roller skate on steriods.

8. deucemac

deucemac

Somewhere buried deep is my picture collection from Lodi. Only 2 things come to mind quickly about that show. First was a beautiful '29 Model A canvas coupe with red wires and the perfect nose in the weeds stance and a straight arrow body covered by a foot deep black paint job. Second is Jack Stewart's red deuce roadster with a small wings keg mounted on the luggage rack with the logo "Come get stuck in Lodi" in a Cresent shape. Jack was an NSRA rep back then. I do remember a great time. I guess I need to dig out that album and scan all the pictures . Thanks for the memories!

brad2v, HEMI32 and classiccarjack like this.
  9. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

Golly, that's coming up on 45 years ago. I'm sure we all look the same!!!

classiccarjack likes this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My time era for sure. 73 I was 14, pics like these went into my skull full of mush and dictated one day I would own something like these. Love seeing cars with the Borrani wire wheels, seldom seen today, but classy when they are.

RoddyB34 and classiccarjack like this.
  11. I think that was my first Lodi. Hit it every year after for about a decade. Fun times for sure.

deucemac likes this.
  12. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I attended the Western Nats in Merced in 1978-1981. Did that replace the Mini's in Lodi?

13. No. I attended both during those years. May have been a change in the Nats status but the run was the same.

14. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

You gotta' start somewhere man ,and Lodi CA 1978( I think) was it for me.
    I was a tag along with my best friends family. 'bout 12 years old I guess.
    My dad wasn't really into this stuff ,so I'll always be sooo greatfull to this family for this first of many rod runs I attended with them.
    These were the Cars!
    This was the Scene!
    We all will develop our own personal tastes if we are true to ourselves.
    Though I don't currently have one I'll always be fond of Resto Rods.
    Uncle Ronn

HEMI32 likes this.
  15. b-bob

b-bob

Gary Lang's T is still around and was recently restored back to show condition after a long sleep.

HemiDeuce, brad2v and HEMI32 like this.
  16. b-bob

b-bob

I attended in 75 and 76, Was the greatest thrill to see all these cars and people from the magazines. 76 wasn't as great though, the Automatic in my 48 Ford sedan died at Micky's grove on the Friday night. Spent Sat. and Sunday working on the car. One of the club members had rebuilt my trans for me on Sunday morning!

HEMI32 likes this.
  17. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Thanks for sharing

HEMI32 likes this.
  18. @33 cdan man & @choffman41 -

Glad you enjoyed the Lodi & Merced events!

Even though my father put me to "work" during most of those weekends, I thoroughly enjoyed both events ... Really great memories! ... It was in Lodi & Merced where I had the honor of meeting several of my "Hot Rodding & Custom Car Heroes".

I was just 11 years old at the 1973 LODI event ... and spent the next 16 summers attending and/or "working" several Rodding events across the country ... including (but not limited to) the following events in California:
    • LODI '73 (1st Annual West Coast Street Rod Mini-Nats) was hosted by Nor-Cal Early Iron (NCEI) ... with Gary Meadors as the Event Director and several other NCEI members (including my father) helping to coordinate the event.
    • LODI '74 (2nd Annual West Coast Street Rod Mini-Nats) was hosted by the Northern California Street Rod Association (NCSRA) ... with Gary Meadors as the Event Director and several others (including my father) helping to coordinate the event.
    • LODI '75 (3rd Annual Championship Rod Run / West Coast Street Rod Mini-Nats) was hosted by the NCSRA ... with Chuck Corsello as the Event Director and several others (including my father) helping to coordinate the event.
    • LODI '76 (4rd Annual Championship Rod Run / West Coast Street Rod Mini-Nats) was hosted by the NCSRA with Chuck Corsello as the Event Director.
    • LODI '77 (5th Annual Championship Rod Run / Lodi Nationals Street Rod Reunion) was hosted by the NCSRA with Chuck Corsello as the Event Director.
    • LODI '78 (6th Annual Championship Rod Run / Lodi Nationals Street Rod Reunion) was hosted by the NCSRA.
    • LODI '79 (7th Annual Championship Rod Run / Lodi Nationals Street Rod Reunion) was hosted by the NCSRA ... with Bob Cress as the Event Director.
    • MERCED '78 (1st Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the National Street Rod Association (NSRA) ... Gary Meadors was the NSRA Western States Event Director ... and my father was Gary's "right-hand man".
    • MERCED '79 (2nd Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the NSRA ... Gary Meadors was the NSRA Western States Event Director ... and my father was Gary's "right-hand man".
    • SAN JOSE '80 (3rd Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the NSRA ... Gary & Marilyn Meadors were the NSRA Western States Event Directors ... and my parents were the NSRA Western States Event Coordinators.
    • SANTA MARIA '81 (4th Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the NSRA ... Gary Meadors was the NSRA National Field Director ... and my father was the NSRA Western Nationals Coordinator.
    • MERCED '82 (5th Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the NSRA ... Gary Meadors was the NSRA Western Nationals Event Director ... and my father was the NSRA Western Nationals Coordinator.
    • MERCED '83 (6th Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the NSRA ... Gary Meadors was the NSRA Western Nationals Event Director ... and my father was the NSRA Western Nationals Coordinator.
    • SAN JOSE '84 (7th Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the NSRA ... Gary Meadors was the NSRA Western Nationals Event Director.
    • MERCED '85 (8th Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the NSRA ... Gary Meadors was the NSRA Western Nationals Event Director.
    • PLEASANTON '86 (9th Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the NSRA ... Gary Meadors was the NSRA Western Nationals Event Director.
    • BASKERSFIELD '87 (10th Annual Western Street Rod Nationals) was hosted by the NSRA.
    • PLEASANTON '87 (1st Goodguy's West Coast Nationals) ... Gary Meadors had left NSRA to start GOODGUY'S Rod & Custom Association ... with the help of many others (including my father).
    • PLEASANTON '88 (2nd Goodguy's West Coast Nationals) ...
    • PLEASANTON '89 (3rd Goodguy's West Coast Nationals) ...
    • PLEASANTON '90 (4th Goodguy's West Coast Nationals) ...
    • :
    • :
    • :

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    flyin-t and Uncle Ronn like this.
  19. Chevguy37

Chevguy37

Love the tubs and phaetons, where have they all gone. Thanks for the images.

HEMI32 likes this.
  20. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

BRING BACK STROKER HATS AND WHITE SLACKS!!!!
    Or maybe they best be left in the past,,,,,,,,

HEMI32 likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And halter tops and short shorts!

GuyW, nosford, stillrunners and 2 others like this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

OH YEAH!!!!!

verde742 likes this.
  23. AHotRod

AHotRod

I LOVED Hot Rodding in the '70's.... I had such a AWESOME time... we drove our cars everywhere all the time, rain or shine... and we were doing it every weekend... nobody sat around, we got in and went.
    Thank you for sharing great memories.

verde742 and HEMI32 like this.
  24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And still one of my favorite cars, Bruce. Gary
    [​IMG]

oldtymehiboy, HEMI32 and AHotRod like this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

HEMI32 - do you have dash plaques and/or T-shirts from all of the events listed? now you would have to get a tattoo from each-Ha!

26. I can supply most of them if you need patterns for your tattoos.

• Dash plaques - YES
    • T-shirts - NO (they were being stored in our shop ... all were water damaged by a leaky roof ... almost all were thrown away :( )
    • Event Programs - YES (multiple copies)
    • Pics - YES (literally hundreds of photographs and color slides)
    • Misc. Memorabilia - YES (windshield stickers, mugs, etc.)

brad2v, stillrunners and Uncle Ronn like this.
  27. @b-bob -

Thanks for this info! ... I have updated the caption accordingly.

Your post got me to thinking about all of the cars at this 1973 event that are still owned by the same guy (or family).

Here's @alex blanca and his 1931 Model A Sedan ...

... then: Alex Blanca's '31 Sedan (1973).jpg ... and now: Alex Blanca's '31 Sedan (2017).jpg

Here's Joe Cardoza's 1929 RPU ...

... then: Cardoza's RPU (1972).jpg ... and now: Cardoza's RPU (2016).jpg

Here's Dino (@fremont32) Ramacciotti's Deuce Roadster ...

... then: Dino's Deuce Roadster (1972).jpg ... and now: Dino's Deuce Roadster (2017) - front .jpg Dino's Deuce Roadster (2017) - rear.jpg

Here's Gary Meadors' Deuce Tudor Sedan ...

... then: Meadors' Deuce Tudor (1972).jpg ... and now: Meadors' Deuce Tudor (2012).jpg

Here's Jim (@34's father) Robinson's 1934 5wd Coupe ...

... then: Robinson's '34 Coupe (1973).jpg ... and now: Robinson's '34 Coupe (2012).jpg

... and I obviously still have my father's Deuce 5wd Coupe (i.e., "HEMI 32").

28. As I mentioned in post #20, @Tom Branch maintains his father Bill Branch’s photo archive of ‘70s Street Rodding events ... including several from the '73, '74, & '75 LODI Mini Nationals.

Tom has graciously allowed me to share these pics with the H.A.M.B. community ... so here's some images that I'm sure were shot at LODI '73.

First up is Andy (@AndySS) Southard Jr.'s '28 Model A Phaeton ... which at the time, was owned by Randy (@cheesegrater) Kenney:

LODI '73 - Andy Southard Jr. '28 Tub - by Bill Branch.jpg
    LODI '73 image from the Tom Branch "Street Is Neat" Collection

NOTE: Here's a B&W of @AndySS posing with his '28 Tub (& '29 Roadster):

Andy Southard Jr '28 Tub & '29 Roadster.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    oldtymehiboy likes this.
  29. Here's Bob Cress’ ‘37 Chevy Business Coupe:

LODI '73 - Bob Cress '37 Chevy Business Coupe  - by Bill Branch.jpg
    LODI '73 image from the Tom Branch "Street Is Neat" Collection

NOTE: Bob a member of the NHRA Safety Safari in the ‘50s, help start (and later owned) the Kingdon Drag Strip, and a member / president of the Franklin Syndicate car club in Stockton, CA.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Phillips and lurker mick like this.