Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cool story on the "shit-T"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Jan 7, 2018.

1. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Here is a link to a cool story on the coolest entry level T bucket ever! Cool story, cool HOT ROD. https://www.tbucketplans.com/4-cylinder-t-bucket/#comment-100866
    Don't understand why more of these buckets aren't being built.....instead of dreaming of building an "out of reach" hot rod....having fun while dreaming!
    Thanks to John at " Tbucketplans.com
    Hope this link is ok with Ryan & John.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Deuces, VANDENPLAS, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Here is a pic a number of years later, after a shave and a haircut, different paint.....and a more appropriate windshield. I personally like it with the tall windshield better, but didn't like the arc of the bottom frame on the original.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read that last night. I had chase down a Toyota sedan with a 2 TC engine and stick in it a few years ago that was dirt cheap planning to build a T with it. Little hemi head banger that cleaned up would look pretty authentic. I've got one in the works now but it will never make it on these pages as it is verboten for here. Uses a bunch of left overs though.

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. If only it weren't for the Jap engine and trans...

WTF really and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. upspirate

upspirate

I read that story last night also....cool ride. Kinda sorta reminds me of my old 27 roadster that was home-built simple,yellow, and had a 4 cyl

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really don't have an issue with that. My little off shore engine project will have a full hood though. The concept is there in aces, you can build a nifty little hot rod that is quite presentable for low bucks if you think outside the box a tad. That T is The gent that own's it daily driver commuter to an from his shop that gets a lot of miles put on it to and from work.
    Main thing is that it shows that you can build a hot rod that runs pretty good without spending a crap load of money on it and having it look reasonably decent in the process. `

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

Exactly.....A $500.00 Speedway body, $200.00 worth of steel tubing, and a buch of leftover and junkyard parts. I like the idea of driving it daily.....why wear out a $30,000.00 piece of Detroit crap. Even if it doesn't end up looking like the slickest T bucket ever.....a little bit of a funky look, just adds some charm. After all, this is the "Jalopy" Journal.
    You know you have to post some pics......quite sure Ryan won't shoot you!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  8. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Saw it parked outside the Born Free show several years back. Looked like fun.

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I support budget builds and certain methods that are foo fooed buy the experts but let's be fair on the price list

$ 500 body , $200 in tubing is just the tip of the ice berg ...body won't have a floor , ply wood , resin etc my goal was to build a coupester for a "dollar a pound "around like Tex smith did ..

I couldn't make it happen but it was under 5k painted, and presentable ...that last run at the end of the build to make the car run and stop always seems to cost $1,000 at least I haven't found a way around that

10. A Boner

A Boner

Guess if you want to build a basic hot rod, you might want to plan on spending more than $700.00! It probably could be built for less than the cheapest of "cheap" new cars though. And if you are old enough, you probably have lots of leftover parts just taking up space. And if you are young and lucky, your dad probably has lots of the leftover parts you will need. Lots of the parts can be sourced at Auto Zone, ect., if not a wrecking yard, or swap meet. The windshield posts and frame might be hard to find cheap, but most of the parts shouldn't be that much of a problem. One thing that always amazes me is how many trips to the hardware store you make during the final assembly! One good thing about building a hot rod is the cost of buying parts is usually spread out over several years or more, as opposed to buying a hot rod and needing all the cash up front.
    Looking at the pictures of the "Shit-T", it looks like fun to me too!

VANDENPLAS and thirtytwo like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've thought about throwing something like that together with a V6 from a Ranger or S10 pickup. I prefer the 27 body though, and they are a bit more expensive than the 23. I've got a rolled over 99 Ranger with a 4.0 V6, if I could convert it to a carb and a distributor ignition I'd try it.
    Like I really need to start another project......

alanp561 likes this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have saved a Fiat 2.0 twin cam with a 5 speed for a build like this.

alanp561 likes this.
  13. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Always liked this "T"! Would look cool with a banger motor of some sort. Would probably drop the front and back a few inches though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  14. A Boner

A Boner

image.png This one from Rod&Custom magazine, looks a little on the short side.....especially the hood. Looks like it might have a motorcycle engine.

Deuces and charleyw like this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg
    Found a pic of this one..... it's perfect! Anyone have anymore pics of this T?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    35cab, Deuces and indestructableforce like this.
  16. indyjps

indyjps

Im all for these low budget, fun builds. The shit T would have been run off the board here due to powertrain, and thats just how it is. Interesting build though, it does what he set out to do.
    Low budget can still use "traditionally inspired" powertrain.

The rod and customs build does it for me, getting the body down low looks good, traditional is sky high. As long as its level it looks good to me, personally never liked the wedge look with and its turned me off to T's. My perspective is changing, lets see some more.

17. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Here is another "T" roadster.....simple looking build that looks fantastic!
    Would sure like to see some build pics on this one.

brEad, 35cab, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  18. dan r brooks

dan r brooks

upload_2018-1-16_16-34-48.png leftover parts from other projects

Deuces likes this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^
    Wow, it's so cold in Canada you just leave the refrigerator door open?

alanp561, ROCKER77 and Champscotty58 like this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

Bump with a cool pic that Photophucket did a number on!
    3E1B0593-7FF2-4C9F-BFCE-6B111C465807.png

21. A Boner

A Boner

Not much interest in budget T’s I guess.
    Seems like it’s either a Deuce for the well-heeled, or for the younger ones, video games in the basement! Seems sad, but seems true.

Deuces likes this.
  22. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8