Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vancouver, WA shop closing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stopped into one of my favorite supply houses yesterday and was told that they are closing as of tomorrow. Tubes and Hoses on 4th plain is calling it quits tomorrow. That is a great loss for the local car builders.

Now I need a new supplier of stainless lines, stainless fittings and specialty hoses. Anyone recommend another in the Portland/Metro area?

They built these stainless fuel lines for me a year ago. I added the polish. He knew his stuff, he said he just wasn't making the money needed to stay in business.
    upload_2018-1-16_11-32-3.png
    upload_2018-1-16_11-32-38.png

Fern 54, mgtstumpy and 34toddster like this.
  2. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen brotha. I feel bad for him. Also heard that Todd's auto body was closing and they sold off 25 acres of the yard. Local shops on the street say they have seen flattened cars rolling by on flatbeds all week.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

4. couverkid

couverkid

Bummer, I have used them many times for fittings and pressure hoses.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We seem to be in the same boat. I did pony up for a nice flaring tool from Eastwood that does 45 double flares and 37 degree AN flares. I've been needing one. We may have to start a local tool rental club between us HAMBers.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Try Oil Filter Service, they do a lot of race car type hose/fitting work (AN).
    Could not access website directly.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=...3i264k1j0i20i263i264k1j0i67k1.261.ykfE8sbTXfU

Most of these kind of places are industrial only but they may be able to suggest places that do custom auto work, never have been many specialty shops around doing this kind of stuff.

https://mfcpinc.com/vancouver/

At one time these guys had a NE Portland location, I have one close to me Billy.

http://www.a1coupling.com

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

How about SAR or Darrell Schroeder?

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny, Darrel Schroeder built my frame under the 34. Good dude! Out of the way but I trust him explicitly.
    Ive dealt with Steve's but not to the extent (or dollar amount) of Schroeder speed and custom.

I did stop in at Russ Meeks joint this morning unannounced, need my tailpipes ceramic coated. He wasn't there unfortunately. I always like saying hi. We have some local legends that are still active.

Thanks for the advice my friend.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked at their website and no mention of closing. Property sold out from under them or owner retiring?

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I talked to him a bit last night, he is taking a job at a hydraulics company up in Ridgefield. He doesn't think they do car related stuff though.

Since I was now on my own I got personal instruction on how to use my new tubing flarer. Also, he said never cut stainless line with a tubing cutter, always a cut off wheel or band saw then file flat. Looks like ill be adding another skill to my resume, stainless line flare dude.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somewhere in my junk I have a small chop saw frame designed to use with a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder. Can't remember where or when I bought it but it was quite a while ago. I might have a use for it yet. Only thing is that when you cut metal with a cut off disk you harden the metal right at the cut. That was on shafting so I am not how tubing would react as it takes a lot less time to cut.

12. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Wow that's to bad.

13. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Well damn. I have that eastwood flaring tool. it works awesome. I learned a little from a video eastwood has on their sight and by trial and error. Thank goodness fuel line is not terribly expensive.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Another tip and it's a biggie!
    Don't forget to slide your fittings on the tube before flaring.:confused:
    And in the right direction.

Bandit Billy and Just Gary like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I actually did that a couple nights ago while mocking up a mild steel line. At least I didn't do it with Stainless.
    I always mock up the cheap stuff that you can bend with your hands and then use it as a template fort he good stuff.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

72" of 3/8 stainless from Jegs this morning, $63.00!!!! It was almost cheaper to buy it rolled but I don't have a straightener for 3/8s. Fortunately this is the last piece of fuel line, just form the reg to the filter mounted on the firewall. The rest is flex over to the fuel block on top of the blower.