Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traffic Light Viewer/prism? How to mount?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Dec 8, 2005.

1. MBL

MBL

Howdy all... Tim here...showing how thick I am. I picked up one of those suction cup curved traffic light viewers...and well I can't really figure out how to mount it. I know I have seen these before, but I can't exactly remember how it is supposed to look.

Does anyone have a picture of how this is "supposed" to be mounted? I read the instructions...but it doesn't make any sense to me.

I wanted to use this type because I didn't want to drill any hole in my dash.
    HELP!?!?
    Thanks
    Tim
    MBL

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

If yours is similar to mine, it's a half moon shape. Mine is mounted to the windshield garnish moulding, so I wouldn't have to drill into the dash. Put your suction cup on your dash to the left/center of the steering wheel, with the arch of the half moon up. Try pulling up to a traffic light and adjust as needed so you can see the light. Stu

3. MBL

MBL

The one I got is here.

[​IMG]

So the curve faces upwards like in the pic? I think it says to attach it to the glass...Turds!
    Tim
    MBL

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Other way. Stu

5. MBL

MBL

So the "mouth" is open upwards or downwards? I am still confused.
    Tim
    MBL

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I used this type on my 34 P/U windshield. You won't get a detailed periscope view of the light but it's very easy to see what color the light is and that's the point. It goes as he said.

BTW the suction cup kept falling off my w/shield. It's good for about a week or two.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Remove the silly cup, and just run a sheetmetal screw through there right into your forehead. No damage to car, gadget doesn't come loose.

8. atch

atch

suction cup goes up; "mouth" goes down.

i used one for several years until a friend fixed me up with an "antique" fulton prism that i mounted to the dash. the suction cup one i found worked best mounted as high on the windshield as i could get it.

i never could afford the "real deal" but if i'd known how much better the old ones were i'd have never fought with the suction cup falling off once a month or so.

9. KATFISH

KATFISH

I bought one of those POSs' from Speedway Motors
    still havent figured it out.
    When you do let me know

Stogy likes this.
  10. warbozz

warbozz

Find an original one that screws into the top of the windshield frame, they actually work, and won't ever fall off. Suddenly it seems everybody wants these, I wish I hadn't sold the N.O.S. ones I had on Ebay. :(

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. mikes51

mikes51

place it on your garnish molding where it meets the headliner. suction cup up. Have it facing the right way so you can flip it up when driving. flipdown at lights.

12. MBL

MBL

I will try that...and some of these other suggestions. Thansk for all of the input.
    Tim
    MBL

13. BIGREDG

BIGREDG

Where di you purchase the viewer

14. Damn glad there isn't any traffic lights where We live

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Is that car in your avatar the one you are mounting it on?

16. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

The old tombstone ones are nice

17. 5window

5window

I'm running an A with a visor and a chopped windshield. Put the suction up as high on the glass as possible, arc side of the glass/plastic down. Don't both about flipping it up and down,it isn't that much in the way. As stated,what you'll get is a good picture of what the light color is. I have to reattach the suction cup every 6 weeks or so-no big deal really.

Remember this is hot rodding so like building your own car, do what works best for you. It's just my way is best:)

18. flathead okie

flathead okie

Damn Bruce, :eek:you usally give better advice than that:D

Stogy likes this.
  19. The ones they currently sell for the tri chevys have 2 mounts. a stud for the 57's and a piece you put the windshield trim screw thru for the 55 and 56. I wish I could get that piece alone... I've got only the stud mount.

20. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I have a Magnet under the Base of this.. and mount it on the dash..
    [​IMG]

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

HAHAhahahhaaa

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Sad fact, how to mount it is'nt etched in stone. Mount it at an attitude that picks up most traffic lights when you're stopped at one. I have suction cup to glass in one jalopy, the other screw mounted to dash. The one with suction cup is easier to move around. :D

23. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

I think the TRI-5 ones LOOK and WORK better. At home in any brand vehicle. Find em at Danchuck or Classic Chevy Intenational for a Repop, or sometimes on EGAY for the originals like this one. I'm gunna use one in my chopped "A" also.

Attached Files:

24. To keep the suction cup from falling off,clean the area with denatured alcohol and put a drop of super glue in the center of the suction cup and attach.Super glue bonds to rubber instantly.If you want to remove it,use a razor blade.You can usually get it off without damaging the cup.

25. 5window

5window

I don't know how much your chop is,but putting it there would occupy a significant amount of my forward vision with a 3.5" chop.

26. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

4" chop. Just move it over some, one way or the other. The "fisheye" effect gives a pretty wide view. Tried it, not bad. You can adjust the height too.

Attached Files:

27. 5window

5window

Yeah,I run mine in the middle-where the RV mirror would be-if I had one.

28. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

On my 3.5 inch chopped A tudor the only place where my prism works is up at the top of the windshield just left of the rear view mirror. Trial and error is the best way to figure the best placement.:)

29. Turn it upsidedown from where you have it now.
    Mine kept falling off the windshield, so I took off the pitiful suction cup, and tucked the wire frame inside my rubber weatherstrip at the top of the windshield. In my Stude truck, I can see almost every stoplight if I have one at the upper left side of the windshield, and one at the upper right side of the windshield (middle of the truck near the windshield divider).
    They hold very well in the rubber windshield gasket.

Those el-cheapo plastic ones are not as clear as the expensive dash-mounted glass ones, but if you know where to look, and focus on it, you can see the red dot turn green at the right moment.

I use two up high to see most common lights.
    If you have an outside visor, you need a different location.

Of course there is a great hazard in trusting it completely. There is always a good chance that another light source from elsewhere (like a sign, or spotlight, or sun reflection) could put a colored dot on your prism, so when I see the green dot, I always duck my head down a bit to see the stoplight directly before crossing traffic, just to make sure that I am not following the WRONG light and driving into traffic.
    Use the prism to tell you when it is time to look at the traffic light directly, and not just hit the gas automatically.
    You could get clobbered by the car that really DID have the green light that wasn't yours.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. jimrinob

jimrinob

This post is almost nine years old...hope you guys are still watching. I'm putting a top on my 32 hi-boy and realized I look way over the glass to see any traffic light. This part of the country may have 3 light controlled intersections per mile.
    I think I understand what I'm going to see with one of these and wonder about telling the difference between lights and arrows?

Stogy likes this.