Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage A trip down memory lane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Jan 9, 2018.

1. I ran across these pictures of a 63 Galaxie I owned. I bought it when I was around 20. This was in 2001. I worked at a parts store while going to college. A lady that worked at the same store but across town called me one day and said

“I hear you are into older Fords. My husband's friend's Dad has a Ford Galaxie. He recently died and the family is going to sell it, are you interested in it?”

I asked “what year?”

“I dunno”

“What color”

“I dunno”

“How many doors?”

“I dunno”

I figured it was probably a 70’s LTD 4 door, but took down the phone number of the deceased man’s son. I gave him a call and he said he could meet me there that night after work. I’ll never forget walking into a two car garage behind a 40’s built little house not too far from where I live now...here sat a 1963 Galaxie 500 2 door hardtop. Black, red interior, white headliner. I was in love. Last licensed in 1967, car had 39,000 miles on it.

The son said his dad bought the car in 1967 with a blown up engine (223 6 cylinder), had the bottom end gone though and it would never really run right, so he got discouraged and it just sat. I walked around the car, my heart pounding and I remember my hands trembling. I asked what they wanted for it, and my heart sank when he said “we had it appraised....”. Being 20 years old and in college and making 4.25 an hour...I had no money.

But he said “it appraised for 1,500.00, but if you wanted it before we have it cleaned and detailed we’d sell it for 1,200.00”

Even 1,200 bucks was a ton of dough, but not near what I feared. I said "I’ll take it", and I raced home and told my dad I needed to borrow 1,200.00 lol! My dad was always there to help me follow my dreams.

We went and got the car. I wish I had pictures of it where it had sat, but I didn't think of it at the time. We got it home, got it running and sure enough, it barley ran. Turns out the old owner put a fresh short block in it, but didn’t touch the head. I had the head gone through, did the brakes, found a good gas tank and had a driver. Probably one of the nicest original cars I’ve ever owned. The 6 was pretty gutless, but would cruise along just fine. Had a 3 speed column shift. Interior was like brand new. I lowered it and put some lancers on it that a friend gave me. I owned it 5-6 years and something else came along and the Galaxie went down the road.

Anyways, nothing too special, but I got a little sentimental when I found these pics and figured I’d share.

First pic is the car in our driveway. I’m in the red hat, my brothers in the front seat and my sister is next to me. My Dad is the one unhooking the car. Next pic is a couple weeks later when I had the engine out. Last pics are just some I took

C4CD93C0-3CD4-40BE-B10F-43270A8373A1.jpeg CC3C11FD-123A-419C-9223-0F381704A4EA.jpeg 26B32969-51BA-4C86-99A1-C9A6A5F9E4AB.jpeg 5B49C33B-01EB-4F70-A3B2-F65FAE7FAE80.jpeg FFE20CCE-9858-4406-9EDA-A23A47E51892.jpeg
    BDC16453-8E27-4E04-A31C-7AB78675834D.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Cool memories and a great looking car. Good Dad you had there too!

3. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Very nice looking Galaxie

5. man that was a nice car!

6. Very nice looking ride!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This reminded me of the one I found a number of years ago. I had been seeing an ad in the local advertiser for a 1963 Galaxie for a few months and finally got off my ass to check it out. It's sitting in a small single bay wooden garage. Turns out it was a 63 1/2 with the fastback roof line. A 390 4 speed burgundy car with black interior. It hadn't been on the road in many years as it had been used as a drag car and the motor blew up sometime in 1969. Had drag decals in the windows and the blown motor was out if it and gone. Had a terrible cat piss smell in it as the windows were down and cats had lived in it. Bought the car for $250! My younger brother had a 1969 Torino GT with the 390 4 speed. Car was a total rust bucket so I got the motor and tranny from him and put them in the Galaxie. What a sweet car that was. Good memories!

crashfarmer, deucemac and brad2v like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Galaxy Quest...good movie and good car story. "never give up, never surrender"

wicarnut likes this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kool Pic's, story, memories, priceless, another 30 years and they will be even more priceless !

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome. You knew how to find and buy them back then too Chris.
    Ever see the car around? It's probably been gone through and holding a big block now. But then again, maybe it's still got the 6, has a cool 60,000 miles on it and is sitting in a garage somewhere...

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great ride - yep, looking at pictures of previous rides can be a good thing. sometimes brings on regret for letting some go. always good when Dad is willing to help out. I had one that a had a fresh Earl Scheib paint job - sold in one hour after I put the For Sale sign on it.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet ride there. Great story too.

13. LOL and I had owned quite a few cars before this one too.

When I went to sell the car, I think I was asking 6 or 6500.00 for it as a turn key car. I mentioned it had a new clutch and EVERYONE assumed it had a 4 speed/big block. As soon as they heard 6 cyl they lost interest. It took me a while to sell it, I think I took 4 or 4500 for it. It went somewhere to the Midwest.

14. Man...I just realized something. When I bought this car, it was only 38 years old. It felt like such an old car at the time. That is the equivalent to buying something from 1980 today. I am 36 years old, but realizing that makes me feel OLD hahahaaa!

williebill and Old-Soul like this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

To only have again...Sigh....

16. nice 63...thanks for sharing......

17. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Damn, you had that thing sitting nice!! Love the color combo as well.
    [​IMG]

18. Torchie

Torchie

For some of us finding an old picture of one of our past cars is like finding a picture of an old girl friend. It always makes you sentimental.
    I laugh now when my young friends tell me about an "old car" they have spotted. They turn out to be mostly from the late 70's early 80's.
    It's all about perspective.......
    Torchie

19. Exactly. I ran across a bunch of photos of some of the first cars I owned. Stuff I took for granted and now wouldn't mind having again haha! It's fun to dream

20. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

had a 63 galaxie XL500 conv, Rangoon red with a white top and red guts, with a 390 auto, still miss that ol car, like yours too.