Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Focus!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jan 5, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Focus!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stogy, kidcampbell71, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  2. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joey,

I would agree with you. Rolling stock is the first thing that catches my eye. Using the Vicky in your example, I would have to say that the car's stance would be the next thing I notice and then probably the engine/headers/induction.

By the way, that is one tough looking Vicky. Thank you for posting this.

Steve

3. Much like looking at the Hamb,the visual image catches my eye,the written word comes next. HRP

harpo1313 likes this.
  4. belair

belair

Wheels and stance. And one reinforces the other, I think.

5. eddie1

eddie1

Stance first, then rolling stock for me.

6. I normally hit rolling stock first, then stance. I am an l old go fast junky and that is what makes or breaks one for me. Then I figure out what body is on it and how it is set up and look at the mill last. I know that you can make a washing machine motor pull a freight train if you got enough gears, so about anything can be fast as longs as you can get the power to the ground. ;)

As far as looking at the printed page I always look for the first pic, to see if I am going to be interested. Sort of a wide angle approach, but I am not your normal Joe Public. :oops::D

7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I agree, rolling stock and then stance.
    It's amazing how some of the most boring and mundane cars can come alive with the right wheels.

8. I'm going to be looking and thinking about is it an early Ford first. I am very biased and discriminating. Then the first impression as in is it stock bodied, chopped or etc. etc. On this page the first thing that came to my mind was: it's in black and white, it's a '32 vik and sits like a gasser

9. the first thing my eye sees is color, then attitude, wether the attitude is from wheels, the stance, chop etc........

10. elgringo71

elgringo71

Well written article and the 32 Vicky Gasser is top shelf. I really like that one along with the Larry Teter 32 Vicky. I have heard that it's a Streetrod now and that's a shame but at least it survived and may be returned to a gasser someday.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I focus on the whole image and Hamb friendly is my focus then I start to appreciate the bigger picture.
    The Hotrod you posted nails every rule in the book to a 'T' and if its Hamb friendly chances are really good I am going to appreciate the details. I am Traditional Hotrod/Custom and inspired same and if thats not met I'm really ready to move on or somewhat lesser interested. Makes for a quick decision on what is being presented many times. The Hamb has only helped hone exactly what makes my boat float...and @J.Ukrop the Hotrod you posted was breathtakingly photographed and was done to the 9's...or is that 10s...;)...and upon feasting my eyes upon the offering my garage has an opening available and from this angle I wouldn't change a thing. Just add gas and smile...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If it's got Halibrands on it regardless of the car model that's where my focal point is.
    I'm just kind of wired (or weird) that way!

13. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Proportions for me. Whether it's a ground scraper or gasser or something in between, it has to have the look. You can immediately tell if something bothers you about a car. My degree is in graphic design and I too remember being taught how the eye travels....

14. wandi harry

wandi harry

15. A car is built around the wheels.

belair likes this.
  16. chiro

chiro

IMO...it's all about the motor.

Andy

17. catdad49

catdad49

It's A Vicky! That's It! Injectors, headers and scooped hood are Cool, too.
    Sits Right!
    Halibrands!

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Stance.... If a car sits too low or too high I just move on.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

HOOD. It has to have a hood and the best first shots have it closed. Not many fast cars raced on the Lakes or Salt without full hoods. Lack of a hood just breaks up the flow of things, part of the puzzle is missing. Nothing looks dumber to me than a car show with post WWII cars lined up with open hoods, looks like feeding time at an alligator zoo.o_O Bob

tb33anda3rd and belair like this.
  20. Bluedot

Bluedot

Stance first for me. If the stance is right but wheels/tires are wrong, that's a whole lot easier fix than the other way around. Stance is the car's personality. Wheels and tires are like changing shoes and socks. Important to the look, but almost an accessory.
    Overall first impression is more important to me than details. A driver can look "right" going down the road and not so great on close examination. Yet some more showy cars have phenomenal detail and design originality, but when you back to 50' away, something misses the mark. Getting that right overall look is part of our challenge. Sometimes a 1" change makes all the difference, whether in ride height or wheel width.

21. F&J

F&J

Ok, the MOST memorable car I experienced ...maybe in my life? This one.. at the recent Fallout show in CT.. Ok, I usually joke around about the "cuties" but I am so serious here, This wonderful epic gal was leaving the show early, taking her "unable to drive" Dad back home I presume... She was just cranking hard on that wheel like a "Big Girl"! Wow...., taking care of her very elder Dad! No further words needed..
    100_1244.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  22. Yup

23. John Starr

John Starr

This might be a bit odd, but I’m always drawn to the shifter, and especially fond of manual trans equipped cars.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a bit different in that I want to see a complete and blended package. The Vicki does just that for me. Every detail on the car works to compliment and complete the whole package. Cool, black, drag car, Vicki in that order then sort out the details. The wheels and tires are an integral part of the whole car and don't turn it into a wheel add where they dominate the car.

25. Overall look is what I first notice. That Vicky at first glance looks like what we would see at the dragstrip in the 60's.
    It would not be what I would want on the street. Sure looks right at home on the strip.