Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Brief History of 2 Door Wagons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Among wagon aficionados, a two door wagon is much prized, but few realize just how rare they are. Prior to 1949, almost all wagons were 'woodies' and many weren't built by the actual manufacturer so there were some oddballs that leaked in here and there, but almost all were four doors. But that changed in 1949....

First to offer a 'production' two door wagon was Ford in 1949. Available only as a two door, this was a 'hybrid' in that it had a steel structure with wood panels attached. Sold through 1951, it (along with it's very similar Mercury cousins of the same years) was the last of the woodie wagons. This started 17 consecutive model years that Ford offered a two-door wagon somewhere in their model line. Ford sold two door wagons in the full-size line through 1961, and as a Falcon 1960 through 1965.

Mercury started when Ford did, first with the '49-51 wagons, then nothing until 1957 when they reappeared. Mercury continued the full-size two door wagons through 1959, then switched to the Comet in 1961. The '57-59 versions were interesting in that they were 'hardtop' designs in both two and four door versions. The two doors are extremely rare, particularly the '58-59 models. The Comet two door wagon only lasted until 1963.

In 1950, two more Manufacturers joined in; Nash and Plymouth. Nash was relatively short-lived; they offered a two door wagon '50 through '55 only (although as a Rambler, they would be back later). Plymouth started the second longest continuous offerings of two door wagons, producing them through 1961 for a total of 12 model years.

In 1953, Dodge joined the party. Another short-lived effort, they discontinued theirs in 1958.

1954 brought another entry; Studebaker. The third-longest length of continuous production, Studebaker went up to 1961 before dropping them.

1955, and GM finally answered with two door wagon models of their own. And two different models too; the well-known tri-five Nomad (and it's Pontiac cousin, the Safari) and a bare-bones 'handyman' version. The Nomad (as a 'hardtop' design) only lasted until '57 with the more conventional design lasting up to 1957 as a Pontiac and to 1960 in the Chevy line only. In 1964, Chevy briefly brought them back in the Chevelle line, but only for two years. These were the only two door wagons Pontiac ever sold.

1959, and the last player shows up; Rambler. Rambler produced two door wagons up to 1963.

By 1966, all two door wagons were gone. Just for clarity, they hadn't disappeared forever; with the introduction on the Pinto and Vega, two door wagons made a reappearance. Ford built the Pinto wagon from 1972 though 1980, and GM built the Vega wagon (and it's Monza replacement) from 1971 through 1979.

I haven't included imports or any Canadian versions.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy

Use to have a 1955 Ford Ranchwagon. One wagon I definitely regretted selling.

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Cool history Steve. This is what makes the H.A.M.B. so great. I got married in 76 and all I ever had were Hot Rods. So we went looking for a family car. We saw this little 71 Vega woody styled wagon. The wife liked it. All I saw was, wouldn't that be cool with a SBC !:rolleyes: Well we got it, and then life took over. We had a couple little rug rats. I never got to do the SBC thing. But I did like that little wagon. Fast forward to 1999. I got a 56 Nomad, only now it's for the grand kids. So THANKS for your post Steve.:) Ron...

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Owned several Ranch Wagons and a 57 Nomad/ Really like 2 door long roof's.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I was growing up, the next door neighbor's son had a white 64-65 Chevelle 2 door wagon. I think it may have even had a Nomad emblem on it, can't remember now. I do remember it had Rallye wheels and a 327 emblem on the fender. I haven't seen another like it since.

I owned a Pinto wagon for a while. Had plans to put a SBF in it, never did. Was a fun car nevertheless.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion

Good read. Unfortunately, I was a victim of one of the final versions. A '75 Vega GT wagon, the Bic Lighter of automobiles. Self destructed in four years, literally 'gave' it to the neighbor kid next door... :mad::(

The old 'real' ones are really cool though, always was a fan.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Thank you for that info.... Really interesting.

8. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Seems like Buick had one in '57 as well.

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I had a pontiac (vega) astre wagon that was one of the several cars I went through in my teens, I liked that little car a lot and had intentions of a v8 swap but it never happened, It was yellow and my friends nicknamed it Herbert the lemon:D but it was actually a good little car that hauled us around for a good period of time:D

Bruce Fischer and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Does Crosley qualify as "production"? Goes back to 1947:
    crosley46.png

11. We really enjoy our '54 Ford "Ranch Wagon". HRP

[​IMG]

12. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

I owned many 1956 Ford and Meteor......but only one '56 Meteor Ranch Wagon....

....the top was taller, so the passengers can wear their Stetsons, I presume....

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Ones gotta start somewhere in this HRH (hot rod hobby). Some people really don’t like em but others really do, this being the 72 Vega Kamback.
    The GT was a pretty darn affordable entry in 1979-80. We’re talking an 8 yr old car for litterally $300.00 bucks.
    Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of the one that I did, but I really likes Nomads & this was a modern interpretation of that idea.
    Infact Chevrolet even had a “Stickered” nomad version of this little 2 door wagon.
    Mine was found right on the street in front of a house that I’d pass every day. A sign went in the window and I bought it.
    Blown engine and all. I somehow bought a used 2300, and put it all back together, I remember being a “show off”in front of my brother and a neighbor doing a burn out at a gas station on the pavement next to a gas pump.
    All was going well until those Parnelli Jones meats hooked up and then “Ka-Pow!”
    Blew the Opel built and supplied 4speed up....
    Really my 1st lesson on How not to be a show off.
    Had the trans swapped back in by 1:00am Saturday morning, this happened at 9pm on a Friday night getting ready to cruise Whittier Bl. on the Whittier City Side.
    By owning this car and another hatchback at the same time allowed a young Hot Rodder to do V8 engine swaps and later that year turn them so I could buy a Pontiac GTO convertible.
    Still would love to have a Nomad or Safari wagon. They’re just really good looking gals!!!

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

A coupla my 2dr. wagons -
    My 54 Stude
    [​IMG]

My next 54 Stude, will be my daily driver when complete
    [​IMG]

My 60 Lark, retirement project
    [​IMG]

Mike

Elcohaulic, grumpy32, Toymont and 7 others like this.
  15. A great history of two door wagons. I would only offer one small correction: Pontiac did offer two door wagons other than the Safari wagon in 1955-56-57 and I believe 1958. The Canadian versions continued until 1960.

16. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

My (Canadian) Pontiac 1958-1961 Parts catalogue indicated 1958 as the last year for 2 door wagon in the low-line Pathfinder model only. Strato-Chief and Laurentian are 4 door wagon and no Parisienne wagon.

1958 Pathfinder 2 door wagon: ( 8 71 91 ) = 6 cylinders
    ( 8 72 91 ) = 8 cylinders

Two Door Wagon-01.jpg

17. Yep, I missed the '55-57 'standard' Pontiac wagons... correction made.

18. Production numbers for the '54 Ford 2 door wagons.

1954 Ford Mainline

Ranch Wagon 2 Door

1954 Ford Customline

Ranch Wagon 2 Door

1954 Ford Production Statistics

LOU WELLS likes this.
  19. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

The 1949 Plymouth 2 door wagon was recognised as the first all steel wagon by a major manufacturer. The Fords were introduced earlier in '48, but both are '49 models.

To split hairs, the Jeep wagon was introduced in '46 with a more upscale interior in '48. And the 2 door Chevrolet suburban was introduced in 1935. Maybe those are more truck than car but still two doors with multiple seats meant to compete with the current station wagons

murfman, Phillips and LOU WELLS like this.
  20. It's also worth mentioning the real rarities... the hardtop wagons. I don't include the Nomad/Safari in these as they didn't have roll-down quarter windows. There weren't many...

Mercury's wagon offerings from 1957 to 1960 were all hardtops. The '57-59 were available as both two door and four door models, the two door was dropped for '60. Mercury was the only manufacturer to offer a two door hardtop wagon.

Buick and Oldsmobile both offered four door hardtop wagons '57-58.

And Dodge offered four door hardtop wagons 1960-64 on the higher-end models.

21. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

22. The Edsel "Roundup" 2 - door wagon of 1958 should be mentioned.

While essentially a rip-off of a 1957 Ford wagon with some trim , interior and sheet metal changes,this 1 year oddball Edsel wagon was designated as a manufacturing division individual from Ford and Mercury and all on its own.

Mercury and Ford have been mentioned,just thought the Edsel ( 1/2 bastard red headed step child to Ford ) should get a mention.

Oldmics

23. Yep, missed the Edsel too. Only 963 built, it's a real rare one.

The Chevy 2 pic above appears to be a custom 'phantom' (note the one piece side glass); I didn't find any documentation supporting it.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  24. I am looking through my files now but here is a pic of a 1960 Canadian Pontiac 2 door wagon.I think I have more pics but cannot locate them at the moment. 60Pontiac2drWagon.jpg

Oldmics, Bruce Fischer and LOU WELLS like this.
  25. Roll down quarter windows? I think the 150 version on the 55-6-7 windows didn't roll down either, the 210's did. But I'm not positive, and my friend's 150, is away for the winter, so I can't check.

26. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

You are absolutely right, my mistake....

My parts catalogue don't mention 2 door wagon in 1959 and 1961.

Is there a 1959 two door wagon?

Two Door Wagon-02.jpg Two Door Wagon-03.jpg

Oldmics likes this.
  27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

State side Chevy in the same configuration. [​IMG]

28. 1911

In 1966 when I was in boot camp in San Diego someone used to park a black 65 Chevelle 2 door
    wagon with a 327 and 4-speed near the Nimitz mess hall.
    Looked forward to seeing it every day. (You make your own fun in boot camp)
    Still love that car after all these years.

Gotgas, jnaki and LOU WELLS like this.
  29. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Ok could we not call the sedan delivery a "station wagon" It was built on a car chassie? No?

30. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

IMHO, station wagons were built for families, sedan deliveries were built for business....but my father got a '53 and a'54 Courrier for his business and family needs. In 1956, he bought a Ford 4 door station wagon.