Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I want a California Kid driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pete Chapouris...Definitely a accomplished Hotrodder whose vision brought a timeless Hotrod which will outlive dare I say every one of us...I like Bob have always been inspired by this iconic flamed masterpiece.
    I did an artwork years ago and gladly share this with you Bob and the others for some more material for your desired celebrated flamed Coupe.

The_Kid_on_the_BeachV2.jpg
    Art by Stogy
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/good-friday-art-show-03-25-2016.1013485/

Inspired by
    The California Kid

Thanks Pete...RIP

Regards,
    Stogy

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That is a fantastic image. Thank you for sharing it with us here on the HAMB.
    Sincerely ,
    CK

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Kevin...I don't believe there is a better group to share these images with. This artwork has taken on a form of reflection and celebration of life tonight for sure.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  4. Kevin, I thought of you right away when I read the news of Petes passing. Our trip to the old original P&J shop and Blares speed shop where he use to work way back in the day. The tour you gave me of where the movie was filmed made this all come together at this sad time.
    Can't thank you enough for all of the memories...

Cyclone Kevin and Stogy like this.
  5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

All the more reason for someone to build "The Kid" in its "total" movie guise......to think that I drove on the same tires that were on this iconic coupe is mind boggling!!!!!! And Hell, I drove em down till they wouldn't hold any more air!!!!!!(looked for pics, but couldn't dig em in the 1-1/2 hrs I've been looking). Waitaminute! I found 2 ;). IMG_5297.JPG IMG_5467.JPG
    30 years ago I asked Pete while we were at the Blair's Christmas Eve party if he would mind if I took something like this on, his answer was, "Heck No, that would be cool!!!!"

Well 30 yrs of building a life has just prolonged it.
    I did do a very loose CA. Kid look, many people drove that coupe and I achieved many goals with it, in fact I live in one of those goals=My house!!!! IMG_8901.PNG I'd whip the fenders off of the coupe IMG_8895.PNG and sometimes even the body IMG_8903.PNG
    Which is now on its P-Wood built chassis, but most of the same look.
    So that Blue 34 above came right after I bought another "rough" 34 which my brother Robert referred to as "Trusty Rusty" he always nicknamed the cars.
    The Black 34 is always refered to as"Mr Sinister"
    All of the cars have The California Kid Dream in common. If I had the financial resources, I could probably dupe both Pete & Jake's cars.
    Still none of that will happen anytime soon as I still have the "Waske Effect" to complete.

Somebody now has got to do this.......
    It's kind of funny how all of the time goes by and even though one gets certain things done, others don't get done. This is one of the things that should;).

6. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Man, you coulda' had the coolest headstone ever!!!

7. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Just to let you know. The Gibbons fiberglass body is patterned after "The Kid". It's even called The California Kid chop. I have one of their older bodies. Other than the abuse it has had from me owning it, it has held up great. No weird fiberglass issues.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    chryslerfan55, Stogy and bobwop like this.
  8. I remember seeing a 33/34 running around the Nats South and Pigeon Forge several years ago that looked like Pete's famous car,the on;y real difference was "The Carolina Kid" was painted on the car. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never been a clone fan but if a guy has to have a clone one of the Cali Kid is the one to have.
    I got to be in the presence of Pete one time at the 73 Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa when I rolled in one of the back gates after a go around with the gate guard who said my 48 wasn't a real 48 and challenged me and then there were the two coupes that Pete and Jake had driven from the west coast bigger than Dallas with a bunch of guys around them. I pulled over and got out my instamatic (I was super low buck back then) and took some photos . I got to listen to a couple of their stories while taking the photos before heading out to find that red 40 Ford Coupe that my wife always tended to gravitate to.

10. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Bob, Russ Nomore sells a 33-34 body with the laid back windshield posts like on the California Kid. Give them a call.....you never know, maybe they know of a car or a stalled project for sale.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Thanks Dennis

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Bob,
    Did you ever achieve your goal of getting a "Calif Kid"? Was thinking about you and this post. IMG_0766.PNG IMG_0769.PNG IMG_0770.PNG IMG_0773.PNG IMG_0782.PNG IMG_0787.PNG

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Part of the project is in hand. On hold for now

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Post some pix so we can whet our appetite for your CK Build. ;).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I always loved that car. I always wanted a clone of the cali kid, milners coupe and the 58 chevy from American graffiti.

Good luck on getting it built and you gotta keep us informed !

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

00098D76-E672-42C1-A162-07DD43005F76.png
    Trying to keep you inspired.......
    Where are you at on your build?

chryslerfan55, swade41 and Stogy like this.
  18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Thanks.

Been on hold.

Ironically, we are meeting at 730 am tomorrow to discuss how we proceed

19. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Took this a few months ago. Took it when I ordered my chassis at Pete and Jakes. I'm sure they would be more than glad to let you look it over, take whatever pics you want. Super nice people.
    SPark

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Who's we ?

ls1yj, lothiandon1940 and Blue One like this.
  22. Back up. Hope to witness this project as it comes to fruition.:)

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Me and my pal Verno30.

We are eating breakfast, shooting the shit, discussing the project and will be walking in to Retro Rewind soon

24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The owners of Pete and Jake’s are the back bone of our hobby , straight up people . They are more than helpful to honor any request you have concerning their parts or business . In today’s world from me that means a lot for me to say that .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and bobwop like this.
  25. There is definitely no mistaking a flamed chop top coupe like the California Kid is anything but a hot rod,I've always like that car. HRP

bobwop likes this.
  26. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bob, I was there today. Sorry that I didn't see you.

chryslerfan55 and bobwop like this.
  27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL