Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Everything you ever wanted to know about gas pedals but was afraid to ask

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 26, 2017.

1. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

A couple of my home made pedals. One thing I've learned is not to detail or paint a gas pedal 'til I get some actual long distance seat time with it. The spoon in my '36 is, I think, is the 4th try and is now painted. I think it's a keeper. The other is in my Henry J.

Gary
    002.JPG 008.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

This is a well timed thread, building an accelerator pedal is next on my list for the '29 roadster.

My plan is to run a solid rod from the center Carb through the firewall where it will catch the pedal assembly at the top.

Any feedback/ideas? I'm guessing the hole needs to be slotted a bit?

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NOW WAIT JUST A FREAKIN' MINUTE, Danny. You bought a really nice Deuce more-door that regularly attended the Deuce Reunion, never to attend again ! That ain't right ! That ain't right ! LOL. Oh, where is the Vintage Air cooler ? This ride DID come from Texas ! I think you did "real good".

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Gary,Ron & I traded cars,he has my old red Deuce sedan.

Ron now has a car with air and I have a car with a cowl vent.HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. I used a Lokar pedal in the '48 Ford F4 I'm restoring for a friend. I wanted to use the original pedal but couldn't figure out how to get it connected to the carb and open the throttle fully. Here are some pics of the mock up and final installation.
    DSCF7444.JPG DSCF7445.JPG DSCF7446.JPG DSCF7447.JPG IMG_2647.JPG IMG_2648.JPG IMG_3936.JPG IMG_3937.JPG

123pugsy, MO_JUNK, jazz1 and 2 others like this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want this one:

[​IMG]
    100 extra bonus points for the 1st one to tell me what it is. I know, do you?

7. It looks like a hood ornament or trim???? It's hard to tell with the hermetically sealed baggy.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Hivolt , my 36 Ford has the same pedal. I replaced the stock Ford pedal when I changed my induction. I find that the Lokar pedal is very uncomfortable because it pivots at the bottom , as the pedal gets pushed to WOT, you have to kinda raise your foot off the floor to compensate for the funky angle. My 2018 project is to rework and reinstall the stock one , it just works better. Mitch.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. I have this stashed away somewhere to screw onto the surface of the too fresh looking Lokar that came already in the "project" collecting dust in my garage.....
    push.jpg Meanwhile, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for suitable brass belt buckles for the other pedals.

juan motime and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Mitch, I agree with you. The hinge point on the Lokar pedal makes it odd when going full throttle, but this F4 is going to be more of a "parade vehicle" so the pedal should be fine. Other than the odd hinge point, the pedal is nice and functions well. When I build my '52 F2 I'll probably look for a different pedal solution though.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. '60's Oldsmobile?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. mkebaird

mkebaird

My favorite - 50's VW
    VWpedal.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not Olds, it's plated, metal, it really is a production pedal.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Is it from a Chrysler New Yorker? Looks like the Empire State building on the pedal.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if it is from a New Yorker that might be the Chrysler building.

HOTRODPRIMER and Bandit Billy like this.
  16. This is a cable set up I had for a short while. I made this so I did not have anything running thru firewall
    interior 005.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hey RLR,

Nice photo of the gas pedal set up. That hook on top of the aluminum pedal meets the gas pedal rule that has been in play since the early days. I read in an old Drag News that all gas foot pedals had to have a strap of some kind over the toe area for safety. Those early Moon Aluminum came without straps, but the holes were punched into the little sides of the toe area.
    upload_2018-1-4_9-28-35.png upload_2018-1-4_9-28-49.png
    Jnaki

We did not use the strap on our Willys as it was not required in 1960. But, all other racers from that early time period on, had to have straps on the gas pedal. The racers made
    their own custom straps to fit all sizes of shoes/boots. Even those straps seem like a hindrance in an emergency.

HOTRODPRIMER and redlineracer42 like this.
  18. Hitin the Streets 044.JPG I didnt like the way this one felt....

jnaki likes this.
  19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have the spoon in my Deuce roadster and my foot would slip off it in wet weather. Yes, I drive in the rain sometimes. I cut a sticky backed, 36 grade sanding disc in the shape of the spoon and applied it to the pedal. Really worked well.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. jazz1

jazz1

A plate that says WHOA for the brake.:D

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  21. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

E4BC4D7B-CC54-450C-9C95-03FD41999153.jpeg D55B7129-1A0D-47F6-8C92-82A7B533C512.jpeg tigged some round stock around a shape, glued rubber in the recess

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy