Register now to get rid of these ads!

I love garage magazine!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HolyHandGrenade, Apr 27, 2006.

1. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

I'm sure it has been said many times but I just found it for the first time today. I've known about it but it was on the shelf at the local Borders this afternoon and I got the last one.

I don't know if those guys are one here but I just want to say that they do a damn fine job. This is the first time I have read any magazine from front to back in one sitting.

Thats all I wanted to say. GOOD STUFF!!

2. I think it's a little on thy artsy side of things. I prefer more real life tech. But, it's a good read, I'll agree.

3. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

I guess it is "artsy" but there is a story about Pure Hell AND the Hill Bros during the gasser wars. I couldn't put it down.

4. I love Garage not only for the read but for posting the Bombshells ad last min and for supporting the event. What a great bunch of folks!

5. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

The few issues that I have gotten to read have been great. Don't exactly know the history, but I thought it was a cool mag.

6. blktopbandit

blktopbandit

if you like the latest one, pick up some back issues, they are keepers for sure...

7. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

If I heard correctly, Jesse James just bought Garage, and is putting the might of his/WCC/ Sandra Bullocks money behind marketing and distribution, must be why it's in Borders now.

8. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

Well if thats the case I hope he don't F**K it up like he does every thing else.

9. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I went to thier websitea while ago and noticed the bottom said payupsucker productions... that sounded like some jesse james something and i thought he must own it or somthing...and reading the hamb for once confirms the fact that i am not crazy after all...rather than otherwise

10. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

Well I don't know who owns it, but the one that I picked up is great. I hope it stays that way.

11. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Perhaps you would be so kind as to let us know if our ad is in the latest issue,since Don Steiner doesn't know us anymore?

12. Otto138

Otto138

Hey Johnny and Kali,

There is a full color, half page, add on page 79. Looks bad-ass! It does not matter to me who owns this rag, as long as it keeps the content the same or pretty damn similar...it is good stuff.

Otto

13. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

yep, like otto said page 79. Great looking ad too by the way.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I wonder if we can expect full page glamour shots of JESSE!?!?!?

At least their logo kicks ass!

Seriously, I've loved Garage Mag up to this point...

15. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

I don't know man..the logo looks like it belongs on the cover of Teen Angels.....
    I'm glad the ad made it-doesn't everyone tie their wife to a Krate?

Hey Strummer, still waiting for that call......or
    I'll take my deviance elsewhere, my good Sir.....

16. the duke

the duke

OH No don't tell me he is going to start fucking stuff up I just got the last and decided to subscribe. That would really suck if it started to suck because I really don't subscribe to much and had been debating for a long time to or not, oh well hopefully he will just stay hands off.

17. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Stoner tell me it is not true.

18. WTF happened to the website?? It does all this funky loading BS....??? Last one was better. Last one was still "dirty".....where's the angle gone?
    And where'd the dealer page links go? Thank god, if it makes it to Borders here, nobody buys anything 'cos everything gets thumbed thru until it's falling apart!

19. Mark Karger

Mark Karger
    from houston TX

I sent a check last Nov.- still have not seen an issue. I would also prefer a more tech oriented content.

20. extremist

extremist

I like Garage for the photography and articles.
    For gritty tech I come here.

Garage is a nice alternative to the cartoony mags out there with the JB-Weld tech articles. I still have the first couple of issues that were published.

21. Stoner

Stoner

Hey, we just got back in from some shoots and I saw this thread!

OK, a few things (and thanks so much for the kind words--it means the world to me):

1. YES, it's true. Jesse James bought GARAGE. Now, I know there are a few of us here on the HAMB who know Jesse better than just what is seen on TV. Believe me, I would never sell my baby to someone who didn't have the same vision for its future that I do. While he's definitely going to influence the magazine, he's going to be the 'jet engine' behind what we already do. Trust me when I tell you that it's only going to get better! We have some big plans for the future and you're really going to like it.

2. Because of Jesse, all of the problems with GARAGE will be solved: ordering, subscription service, website, etc. That's always been the hardest thing for us--taking care of all the administrative crap that comes along with a magazine business. All of these things are now going to be fixed and fixed quickly.

3. Also, for the first time, I'll be able to work on GARAGE full-time! I'm still going to be Editor-In-Chief and that means we'll be able to finally do the stories we always wanted to but never could because of cash-flow, time, etc.

4. Johnny Ace will always have a place to stay as long as I'm here.

5. Now, you'll be able to find GARAGE just about EVERYWHERE! Keep in touch and I'll let you know when and where it will be found on the stands.

Drop me a line at:
    [email protected]
    and I'll answer any other questions you may have. This is all good news and I know that if you've liked GARAGE till now, you're only gonna love it more from now on...

STONER

22. Psycho78

Psycho78
    from EXP, CA

23. Good on ya Stoner! I think the situation will work out well for everyone.

24. screwtheman

screwtheman

I know a lot of people are making a stink face at this thread. But I say good for you. It's a nice feeling to actually get the money your baby deserves. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

25. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

I had heard there were no plans to change things except for the better, guess I should have said that before everybody got all bent outta shape.

I think the sale is a great move, especially if it improves your position in life, stoner. With that kind of backing, it'll be SO much easier to get where you wanted to be.

26. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Allright, I got curious about all this mag-talk and just send some bucks over for the 2 most recent issues. ;)

27. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'm not picking on you VC per se, and I realize it's called 'garage' but it has never been about the tech. There are a bazillion other car magazines that focus on tech. Garage is about the passion, the lifestyle, why you are obsessed with cars in the first place and all the other things tied into our corner of the hobby. Why is this so hard for people to grasp? Again, not singling you out, but this comment comes up at least twice in EVERY thread about the mag...

Congrats Dan. You and your crew deserve the success.

28. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

just for my own plain damn curiosity, and not that im sticking up for him, but why all the hostility towards jesse james?

of course i liked him better when he was a bouncer for slayer, and drinking and doing lines of blow with him on the tour bus,...but why the big hostility? i think the only good/bad thing he has done was bring our genre to the limelight, which has brought in a buncha "schenesters" but that was inevitable anyways.

its not like he is OCC, they never actually built anything that was worth a fuck, or had any kinda REAL heart in it. so they never sold out, cuz they had no soul to begine with.

but jesse has kept doing what he wants, were he wants, when he wants. sure seeing the maltese cross everywhere sucks a bit, but if it was your shop logo would you complain? when discovery channel took too much control he told em to fuck off, he drinks beer, rides bikes, builds cars, fucks strippers, has a hundred kids around the u.s.,....sounds like half my club!!!!!! :D

29. flash

flash

Amen brother. The "biz" part totally sucks, especially when you really just want to make pretty pictures.

30. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

oh Yeah, And I Have Always Liked GarAGe Magazine!