Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-12-18_5-18-12.png Eddie Hill
    Bakersfield Smokers March Meet 1960: "a blast from the past..."

Hello,

In 1960, Eddie Hill had been known as a drag racer/builder from Texas. Most of his cars had the smallest front wheels of any of the full size race cars. The odd size wheels and tires made his FED look like it was on a “rake.” Usually Pontiac powered with white wall slicks, and he was fast. Later, he went on to set national records in drag racing with a wide variety of race cars.

Jnaki

But, on this day in March of 1960 at the Bakersfield Smokers Meet, he went up against the Bayer/Frietas twin Chevy FED. Smoking is never good, anywhere...especially in motion.

2. rudestude

rudestude

Elcohaulic, 296ardun and loudbang like this.
  3. rudestude

rudestude

A couple more from a different little pages Magazine Speed*And*Custom 1961 and 1963[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-12-20_3-49-55.png upload_2017-12-20_3-50-9.png
    Hey RS,
    Nice addition of the old magazine article on an early version of the Top Banana. Here is the Hank Vincent's "Top Banana" IN MOTION in 1960 at the Bakersfield Smokers March Meet. Even though it was from Northern California, (being partial to our local, So Cal racers...) it was one of our favorites. The styling was sleek and very well done. The performance had changed since the article came out in 1958.

At this big drag race event, (being my first time at this far away track,) I was all over the racetrack filming what I thought was the best of the best. I had fun taking movies of the Hank Vincent's red, Top Banana FED. Back in those days, a pit pass got you everywhere without any questions asked... even at the starting line.

Jnaki

Hank Vincent, Top Banana at Bakersfield, 1960

Bakersfield Smokers Meet, 1960 pit action and start line

5. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Love it. 600 dollars plus ingenuity equals 135 mph!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-12-20_8-15-29.png 1958-59
    upload_2017-12-20_8-15-59.png March 1960
    Hello,
    It was a sad day when Hank Vincent was killed at the Fremont Dragstrip. It took place a few months later in 1960.

"Drag Strip: Fremont Dragstrip, California
    Event Date: May 29, 1960
    Car: "Top Banana" B/FD
    Biographical: "He was nearing the finish line on the final elimination run when his dragster went off the pavement. Traveling at a speed estimated at 170 MPH, he tried to ease the dragster back onto the track, but the car leaped into the air. It rolled end over end for about 300 feet before coming to a halt. He was pulled from the wreckage and rushed to Washington Township Hospital, but died en route. The push bar on the car penetrated his body and killed him. An electrician, he lived in Hayward, California, and was survived by his wife and two foster children. He had held national records in B/FD and C/FD with his "Top Banana" car which he had run for five years."
    Sources
    "Dragster killed in Fremont," Hayward Daily Review, May 30, 1960
    "Dragster Vincent killed," Hayward Daily Review, May 30, 1960"

Jnaki
    Here is a different write up on this happening. May 1960 not 61

http://www.politicalforum.com/index.php?threads/hank-vincent-died-drag-racing-top-banana.519074/

296ardun and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. Craig Barres

Craig Barres

Tom Barres is my dad. He passed away in 2000. He told stories about his days drag racing, but they typically involve other racers. We have a cover photo of him from NHRA Today (I think). He was active somewhere between 1964 and 1971 (don’t know the specific years). He talked about all the tracks mentioned on this page. Based on family lore, he drove junior fuel for Ron Pink out of Van Nuys and Rain for Rent of San Bernardino and The Hawaiian top fuel rail. This is the first time I’ve heard mention of the “Rose-Lawson-Barres” junior fueler.

I’d like to do some research to create a history of my dad’s racing career by compiling when, where, for whom, and results. As most of the tracks no longer exist, and I assume the teams no longer exist, and the various drag racing associations have likely consolidated into the NHRA and/or IHRA, I’m not sure where to start.

I would truly appreciate any direction you may point me in to start gathering info. I’d even appreciate verbal history from anyone who may know him or remember watching race.

Thanks so much.

8. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Craig for your memories...I think it was Ed Pink, and the Rain for Rent might have been from Bakersfield, that was the sponsor for James Warren and Roger Coburn...(could have been another, though, California had lots of irrigation companies). As for the Rose, Lawson, and Barres Jr Fueler, I am guessing that the "Rose" was Sam Rose, from the San Bernardino area. Sam ran what was then a C/Fuel Dragster, the class that later became "Jr. Fuel." Sam ran a junk yard in the San Bernardino area, and was (is?) a great guy...I raced him several times in C/FD, and his Chevy always handled my Ardun. Hope this helps...

9. 296ardun

296ardun

steinberg.png
    Mike Steinberg clears the lights at Fremont...
    chrisman 34.jpg
    One of Art Chrisman's first drag cars...for several years Miller's Crankshaft was his sponsor...wonder if he just reversed "52" to come up with the number for his famous dragster?
    jeb allen.jpg
    Jeb Allen lights up in the lights, Bakersfield...notice the radius rod...I guess that they are supposed to do that??

rice.jpg
    Calvin Rice starts his run down the airstrip at March AFB...the tail of this car was an upside-down midget tail...and the roll bar was sort of an afterthought...the original version lacked a roll bar...surprising that C.J. Hart let them run Santa Ana.

el tigre.jpg
    The former "Shadoff Special" streamliner that was famous for its Bonneville records wound up on the drag strip...Dave Zeuschel bending over the engine...I think that this is Pomona (?).

sparksbonney.jpg
    The Sparks & Bonney team...'34 at right was Everett Israelson's...met its end at a Saugus night meet when the throttle stuck and the car went off the track and crashed in a ball of fire...fortunately Israelson came out ok, but the car was gone.

Gammz, Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. joemac05

joemac05

Hey, I knew Sam. I camped in his yard when we went down to Yakima to race stock cars. He was running Knob Hill Auto Wrecking at the time, maybe he still is. Yes, great guy.

Mark Hinds, loudbang and 296ardun like this.
  11. Me too. I met Dick Gazan in 1984, and spoke with him in the hospital just hours before he passed away, a couple years ago. He was a good friend and mentor. I got to meet Owen several times. I never met Tom, but heard lots of good stories from Dick.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  12. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

431c4df89020587319709af4f447a2b7--vintage-racing-dragracing.jpg
    Carlsbad Raceway, near San Diego...

13. mopacltd

mopacltd

Put thousands of laps down that track in the '70's

loudbang likes this.
  14. Sadly, now it's a business park. :(

Mark Hinds, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. 296ardun

296ardun

tony-nancy-wenderski.jpg
    Return road at San Fernando, Foothill bridge behind...Looks like Wenderski is folding up the chute while the nose is off Tony Nancy's MoPar wedge dragster. A chute failure meant that you were headed towards the bridge, which sadly took more than one life....

Unknown-9-Fontana-64.jpg
    No i.d., maybe Masters & Richter? Headers don't look right, though.

K%20S%20Pittman%202.jpg
    K.S....photo by Rich Carlson

thSUVFV85O.jpg
    This is as big as I can get it...I want to say Fontana but the background doesn't look right...I am guessing around '63?

sadd.jpg
    Sadd Brothers -- injected Chevy here, before Al Teague came on board and the car shifted to a lakes/Bonneville car. It was badly damaged in a return road accident, so to repair it, the Burkhart, Burns, and Brammer roadster gave up its body...the restored car is now in a museum in Oregon.

16. hendelec

hendelec

Rear end looks bent on Sadd Bros. car. Looks like the slick is leaning in at the top................

loudbang likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Must be the photo because the push car's back wheel is leaning too.

enloe likes this.
  18. Dave, that is a teenage Al Teague in nick Sadd's roadster. He drove the shit out of it, and scared the shit out of all who watched him make a run! I was pulling to the line one Sunday, at Fontana, where that photo was taken, and Al had started a run. By the time he got to the lights, I saw both sides of that roadster! I don't know what size the SBC in it was, but from the fumes, I'd say there was mostly nitro in the tank. Love Gene Scott's logo on the grill panel.

19. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Dean, I had completely forgotten that Al drove it, before the blown Chrysler...I remember it running as the Sadd Brothers and Bentley ... and you're right, it rarely went straight...the crowd really loved the hearse push car.

20. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Dean -- I don't think it's Fontana. The tower was on the right side there, and they'd be pushing the wrong direction. And the stands in the background would be out on Foothill.

We had the first 8-(9-?)second gas roadster at Fontana. Sure cuts the E.T. when you start from the back fence. Also ran outta gas after you use a hand-pumped tank and screw around getting backed into the fence and add 100 feet or so to the run.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  21. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's a shot of the Fontana tower with the staging lanes behind it . . . Willie's Pie copy.jpg

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  22. You are correct, it isn't Fontana. Foothill Blvd. was not far behind the tower.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

26. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic