Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need suggestions for chroming leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txcr13, Dec 26, 2017.

1. txcr13

txcr13

Thinking bout chroming the front leaf springs on my Stude. Haven't had any springs chromed before and would appreciate any tips on making sure the springs are prepped right. I read somewhere that the front and rear edges should have the sharp corners smoothed off?? I like the chrome look but not sure how well it holds up under the flexing of the springs.
    Also heard just get 'em powder coated and forget the chrome?
    I am sure there are other things to consider and I want to get this right.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Just make sure your plater knows the proper procedure to avoid "hydrogen embrittlement" during the plating process. The last thing you need is a broken spring when driving your car.

3. reefer

reefer

Id consider the upkeep.....cleaning and keeping rust at bay will be a full time job.Chrome looks great when it's at its best but ratty,rusty chrome looks bad.

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Forget the chrome.
    It will rust between the spring leafs stacking and you will get tired of trying to keep them bright.
    Paint them black ( blends the road nicks, scrapes with the road better ) OR dark steel color.

270dodge and Flathead Dave like this.

5. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

I have been a hot rodder and a chrome plater ,all of my adult life, I can tell you this .DONT electroplate steering or suspension parts .The plated parts will have Hydrogen embrittlement and more prone to failure. sure you see it now and then ,mostly show cars . always carries an increased risk of failure . SNAP !

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

springs at some point will flex - chrome does not like to flex

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Dads A has had chrome suspension, and has been on the road for over 30 years. Leaf spring has never rusted, I cant remember how he prepped it, but I know there are all rounded edges on the spring.
    The drawback is it definitely weakened the spring. weve had it re-arched a few times as it sags over time. Looks cool yes, not the best idea though. Take it with a grain of salt
    (and yes, this car has been driven heavily for over 15 years, not as much recently)

8. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Every coil over set I have had have had chromed springs. There must be a way to safety do it.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

9. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Their is a company that make chrome springs with a Teflon button on the end of each leaf. Can’t remember the name but they will custom make them for you probably cheaper than getting yours chromed. Had a set made for a roadster 30 years ago and they are still there....check with a chassis builder and I bet they could hook you up.

10. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Found it.........Posies is the name of the company, the springs are called Super Glide

11. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks, gents. Keep 'em coming!

I hear there is a powder coating or two out there that looks fairly similar to chrome but a little duller? (Performachrome, others?). Not sure how that coating on my springs would look bolted up to a chromed axle, but then I haven't seen any of those coatings either. Anyone have experience with any of them? How glossy and durable are they? Would this be an option for the leaf springs?

12. Why not Consider The Spray on Chrome, that way you can do all the
    Car Undercrage.
    Do a Search for it on the Net, I was reading about it on one
    of the Treads on the HAMB

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I dont know about proper prep for chrome, but I dont think the spring should have any sharp edges on it anywhere...esp along the working parts.
    And I personally would not plate the main leaf. If any of the others crack, you probably can make it home. But a broken main is a different story.

Texas Webb likes this.
  14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I believe chroming springs used "Hexavalent Chromium", unfortunatly it is highly toxic carciagen and banned in some counties. a movie about it was made "Erin Brockavich"

15. morac41

morac41

Fullhouse296... X 2....Any chrome steering of suspension parts prohibited in Australia....polished stainless OK

16. indyjps

indyjps

Would a nickel plate or bright zinc still have the hydrogen embrittlement issues?

17. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Posies seems to sell a lot of chrome Super Slide springs with no apparent problems. Have one on my new '32 chassis.
    SPark

18. I have my front multi leaf chromed 20150101_153917.jpg . Teflon buttons between the leafs. Never had an issue.

kidcampbell71 and Max Gearhead like this.
  19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

NO, But the H-E issue can be elimiated by baking the parts when they come out of the chrome tank, the question then becomes whether it was baked or not

indyjps likes this.
  20. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks for all the help. I am going to use paint or powder coat on the springs...no chrome.

21. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Oh , and by the way ,the oven baking must be done within 7hrs of chroming or wont work ! just keeps gettin better eh ?

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Down here a certificate is required certifying that the part has been heat treated for hydrogen embrittlement to the industry standard, additionally heat treatment needs to be done within a very short time window after the chroming takes place.
    Heat cert2.jpg