Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949 plymouth fastback driveline swap

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mcyunger, May 22, 2016.

1. mcyunger

mcyunger

what would be the best engine, transmission and rearend swap into our 1949 plymouth?what car would make the best donor to pull all the parts from? front brakes? what would have been done in the '50s?

51 BIRD likes this.
  2. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I had one of those many years ago. If I were going to do it again,I'd measure the wheelbase and track and find a running donor car,and do-si-do the body.

mcyunger likes this.
  3. 73RR

73RR

An easy swap is a Mopar LA engine. Off-set the engine to the pass side 1½" and use a 70-71 A body exhaust manifold to clear the steering column. Butches Cool Stuff has a mount kit.
    The Cherokee and Explorer rear axle are commonly used.
    Rusty Hope (olddaddy on this board) has a disc brake kit for the front.
    You 'could' get engine-trans and possible axle from an early Dakota or Jeep Grand Cherokee.

This car was totally ignored in the 50's............:cool:

mcyunger and whtbaron like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't know what year car this was but there used to be a fastback in my area in the late 70's, original light green paint with perfect patina ( I know some hate the word), only saw it a couple times a year. Never saw it any place but in the grocery store parking lot.
    There was just something about it that made me think it no longer had the original drivetrain in it. May have just been my inner self telling me how it would make for a real cool "sleeper", you know the kind 340, Torqueflite with column shifter, dog dish hubcaps and that whole rough around the edges look.
    A guy three doors down from me had a 70(ish) Dodge Dart, 340, TF, lime green, black vinyl top, hauled ass. This may have played a role in my whole thought process.

5. I did all GM G body running gear in mine. (because I had it) 121.JPG 123.JPG 60.JPG . Turned out to be an incredible driver. Put 10,000 miles on it and shipped it to Australia where it's still driving around.

51 BIRD and mcyunger like this.
  6. 'Mo

'Mo

What's wrong with what you've got?
    If it's junk, there's nothing wrong with a hopped up 230 (or 265) replacement.Mopar ran the flathead six all the way through '59. Big fins. Dinosaur motor. Fred Flintstone meets George Jetson!

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Torchie likes this.
  7. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

The longer block flatheads are not a direct bolt in swap, but probably the easiest. 73RR's suggestion of the A block is probably the best alternative for street practicality. If your pockets are deep enough and you want something totally different, consider importing an Aussie Mopar Hemi 6. Awesome little motor and it will fit between those convoluted early Plymouth frame rails. A narrow 8 3/4" is also a good rearend for hard street driving. Lots of people will suggest clipping the front, but a complete refresh of the joints etc. will give you a nice steering car. They were light years ahead of the Fords and Chevys in their day.

mcyunger likes this.
  8. mcyunger

mcyunger

the slant six and 904 seems to be the best way to go. we need to find a donor car.

9. 51cambridge

51cambridge

My 51 has a slant6, doesnt look easy . WAS bought this way

mcyunger likes this.
  10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

A Mopar V8 would be easier to install in that car then a slant 6 would be. The slant 6 lays towards the side, and is longer then the original flathead 6 that stood upright.
    My suggestion, a Mopar small block V8, auto trans, Rusty Hope disc brakes, and a modern rear axle.
    If your frame is junk, a Dakota pickup frame front clip fits these cars pretty well at the firewall. A Dakota would make a great parts source. Gene

whtbaron, mcyunger and 73RR like this.
  11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dinosaur ...upgrade when you can..nice to go out for donuts,,most of advice here is well intentioned...keep body original. Listen to the hammers who drive their cars..

mcyunger likes this.
  12. mcyunger

mcyunger

we guess we will keep our eyes open for a donor car or truck to swap parts from. we always appreciate the excellent advice from hambers.

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

These make good donors: http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/5583757595.html

14. p15-1948

p15-1948

What did you decide on? We put a 83 318 and 727 in my 48.

15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I spent a little time in wrecking yards measuring various chassis. For $250 I bought a 78 Chevy Malibu to put under my 54 Plymouth. I later exchanged the frame rails for an 82 Chevy El Camino. For the $250, I got front power disc brakes, power steering, a later-model automatic transmission (350TH), a later model rear end that was engineered to be with the front end brakes and such. Channeled the body 3 or 4 inches over the frame rails and ended up with a unique custom. You might try doing the whole thing rather than trying to adapt piece after piece. Rear 3:4 copy.JPG I'll try to post a picture . . .

16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I even added a Chrysler engine adapted to the Chevy TurboHydramatic Engine Left copy.JPG 350 . . .

17. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Hell yea, I like it !

18. Well damn!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Stan,...beautiful job on that Plymo,...these cars are way overlooked,...hope to do something with my 50 club coupe someday...

20. Leary

Leary