Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical You get what you pay for

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by statesblue, Dec 24, 2017.

1. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Had to replace the sending unit on my roadster so looking for a deal I went on EBAY. So I found what I thought was a great deal as it was only 2/3 the price of all the others and coming from small speed shop(or so I thought) Free shipping, click, its on its way.
    I think I could have walked it to my house faster than the "free shipping".
    When it finally arrived I found out why the low $$$.
    First of all it looked like it was packed by a 6 year old. Just stuffed the flimsy product box in a plastic shipping bag which was twice the size so it was wrapped around and taped. Of course the box inside was crushed and the float rod had a bend in it.
    Second...there were no instructions in the box. Not a big deal as I can pretty much copy the one I'm pulling out but.....what the hell ??
    Next (a big one) the round mounting plate was welded on upside down putting the ground lug inside the tank...HMMMMM..?
    And finally the real reason for the low buck $$$$. It seems to have really come from " Johnny Law Motors". Got a Thank You for your purchase and a coupon for a future purchase. (Not going to happen)
    Now, what have I learned from this??? A deal is not a deal if your buying crap.
    This morning I got on line and bought a replacement from Tanks Inc. where I should have went in the first place. They have been very good from my experiences with them in the past. Stick with a known supplier.
    Live and learn boys, live and learn.....

2. belair

belair

Sounds like a Hoffman group product/subsidary. Sorry you got took. Its a shame you have to do due diligence on even smaller purchases. Live and keep on learning, I guess.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I just don't understand why that bunch of crooks haven't been shut down yet. If they were legit, they wouldn't have to be changing store names all the time to fool people into buying from them. It must be legal, but just skirting on the law. Some District Attorney or Attorney General is going to have a field day with them one of these days when they skirt over the line one too many times.

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Wisdom to live by.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Max Gearhead and jazz1 like this.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Since it was 1.) manufactured incorrectly (mounting plate welded upside down), 2.) damaged because of their poor/cheapie parcel packaging (how much did they charge you for proper S&H?), did you contact the ebay seller and inquire about a return/refund?

49ratfink likes this.
  6. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Send a request for a refund, if they don't want to that,file a PayPal claim before your 30 days are up.

49ratfink likes this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I never buy the cheapest priced item when I`m shopping. Whether it`s car parts, tools or hot dogs. there`s always a reason why it is the cheapest.

8. BJR

BJR

Johnny Law is defiantly part of the Hoffman group. File a claim like said above. Hold them accountable, they are crooks.

9. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Hoffman Group junk. I believe they are out of Portland Or. Stay away.

10. Did you ever notice, that all those Hoffman ebay guys with an alias name always list their stuff as "used" . Sure messes up searching for "real" parts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Most of the time I would rather spend the effort to recondition and use a used part instead of using some of the substandard crap being passed off as reproduction these days.....

ClarkH, Squablow, tubman and 6 others like this.
  12. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Been there, done that.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Johnny Law". Indeed. Echos of the old 'bad cop' syndrome. Yes, they are Hoffman's latest 'alias'...
    My friend got a "GREAT DEAL" he didn't tell me about until it came. Their 4 inch dropped I beam axle! $150, he just 'couldn't go wrong'... I asked how he was gonna re-sell that ugly thing. He said he might use it...:eek::eek::eek:

14. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I bought a pair of outside mirrors off ebay motors. I like the look. Price was good. Well, they do look good but they are made out of chrome plated plastic.

jazz1 likes this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A sign I saw many, many years ago...

."There is always someone who can find a way to make goods cheaper and sell for less. Those who consider price only are their lawful prey".

Ray

cretin, ClayMart and harpo1313 like this.
  16. 5window

5window

I don't think the OP "got took". He just made a bad choice and got what he paid for-cheap price=substandard junk.To his credit, he stood up, admitted his mistake and passed on the info to help us other cheapskates avoid the problem.

17. 2rustynutz

2rustynutz
    from Oregon

I messaged back and forth with someone about their axle a year and half ago , and he admitted they had multiple stores on epay and that it was all from China but would not answer about if the axle was forged lol

18. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

If it's priced well below 200 bucks like I've seen, it's a cast Chinese axle.

19. jazz1

jazz1

\
    Got the same and one broke when adjusting. I found metal chrome 4" convex mirrors at big truck and trailer supply shop.

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The sweetness of low price is long forgotten after the bitterness of low quality sets in.

21. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

One thing I learned a long time ago was that when buying parts for Steering, Cooling and Brakes is always buy the best. When buying the best you will never be disappointed.
    The worlds greatest truism is "you get what you pay for".

23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that cheap pot metal (or chromed plastic) rear view mirrors are not dangerous. I could even put up with a cheap glove box latch or antenna.

Where I will not put up with cheap stuff on my projects is something that could kill me, my grandkids, or kill the next guy i.e., steering, brakes, axles, spindles, tires, etc. If you cheap out on a dropped axle for $200 bucks and, instead, wonder why folks charge $400 for a dropped axle you are the candidate for dumb ass of the month.

Hnstray likes this.
  24. WTF really

WTF really

So this isn't a good deal? Screenshot_20171225-202614.png

25. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Depends on what you’re going to use it for. Yard art? Wall hanging? Making a fancy chandelier for your garage? Perfect.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

WTF really likes this.
  26. WTF really

WTF really

Understood

27. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

$185? I saw them on sale for $125 shipping included, an they are still marked up!

28. WTF really

WTF really

I'm going to be looking for a drop axle soon. Would rather do some trading on one but I thought that was to good of a deal.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sid's or Okie Joe, depending on what you want.

WTF really likes this.