Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stewart-Warner Tach Hookup Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Nov 4, 2017.

1. I just picked up this SW Tach and I need to know what it takes to install. Does it require a sending unit? How is it wired? See photos for part number (?) or other info...

All help appreciated!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Somebody's GOTTA know how this thing works!!!! HELP!!!

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My partner and I have been doing a lot of work with older tachometers so, although I have never seen this particular one, the 0-5000 range and the wire terminals on the back say to me that it's an older "meter-type". These tachometers usually need an external control box, although we have seen them with the controller inside the case. I'd have to have my partner (he's the electronics guru) look at this to be sure.

The reasons we are interested in these is that there seem to be many out there with missing or non-operational control boxes. We are in the process of developing a universal controller that will allow these tachs to be used again. We have the most difficult instance (6 volt positive ground) running in a prototype state now.

brett4christ likes this.
  4. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

An old Hamb post for a 960 series tach says:
    1) no sender required
    2) isolated copper colored terminal to coil -
    3) isolated other (black?) terminal to ignition switch
    ....and I lost the post, cant reference it.
    good luck.

brett4christ likes this.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We got an old Stewart Warner tach in the other day. It kinda looked like this one and it was a "meter-type" unit with the controller inside the housing. I'll check it when I go to the shop tomorrow. I'll talk to my partner and I am sure he can figure out how to hook it up. It's obviously a 12 volt unit, and it looks like it's for 4 or 6 cylinders, which is wierd; they're usually capable of running 4-6-8. You can't believe everything you read, even if its stamped on the housing. I wouldn't bother now, but if we can't figure out what you've got, it would be helpful if you could remove the unit from it's case and take a couple more pictures.

6. tlowe

tlowe

Looks like that one is a direct hookup for a 6 cyl 4 cycle engine and 12V. You could test it on a V* , it will work but read incorrect.
    Is it for sale?

7. Yes it is. Message me for info...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Canuck

Canuck

This is what you need: upload_2017-12-23_17-24-19.png

Canuck