Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '32 drive shaft/torque tube

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by terry k, Dec 12, 2017.

1. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I have a '39 trans. mounted in the stock K member with a new QC. Both are 6 spline. I have what is suppose to be '32 late torque tube/with modified '36 bones. What do I use for the solid drive shaft ? Is there one that can be used or made ? How do you measure for a new one ? How accurate does the measurement have to be ? Doesn't it have to slide ? Thanks Terry

2. alchemy

alchemy

I've never tried, but I'm not sure a 32 torque tube will bolt up to the quickchange. Does it?

A late 32-34 driveshaft is a smaller diameter straight tube that is easy to shorten. If the spline is the wrong count on the back end you can use the coupler off a later solid driveshaft to replace the female end of the 34 driveshaft. It's just accurate lathe work needed for this. And a good welder. There used to be a new cut-to-fit product on the market but I know there was some failure complaints, so I think using a Ford driveshaft would be better.

The length of the driveshaft needs to be accurate for the speedo gear to end up in the correct place. Not sure of the exact length, I'm not near an assembled setup right now. Maybe somebody can go measure the end of one and see how far the driveshaft pokes out of the torquetube. It's not much at all.

The driveshaft does not slide in the torquetube, but the U-joint does slip onto the driveshaft.

3. deuceman32

deuceman32

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  4. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

How many teeth on the late '32 rear end 6 or 10 ??

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

10-Spline until 1934

6. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

I use 33-34 tube driveshaft, you need a 6 spline by 10 spline adapter, they are getting hard to find. you cut shaft to length and machine 10 spline end to slide into driveshaft and weld. if you can only get a 6 spline coupler you will have to machine a solid pc of steel tubing to make up diameter differance. joe

7. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I had a welded driveshaft to coupler for 40 years in this set-up. It was the only thing I never broke. Quickchange.jpg

chop job likes this.
  8. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Anyone have one of these adapters ???

9. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

10. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Vanpelt makes a 6 spline to 10 spline coupler adapter.

11. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh