Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old time auto trans guys here??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Apr 26, 2006.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I'm working on a BW-35 (T35) 3 speed auto trans (flashomatic to be specific) and what it does is to ocassionally 'drop' out of gear - always when cold - does it ONE time and then it's fine for the rest of the time I drive it - until the next time that is - what I am thinking is that it is sucking air - or leaking fluid internally when parked so as to put a air bubble - servo? - anyways there's about 4 EXTERNAL lines to the valve body that seem like a good candidate for this to occur at - they are aluminum - and appear that they have had a nitwit or two fiddle with them already - so I am thinking they no longer fit snugly for a perfect seal - is this reasonable - I am contemplating making a small swedging tool to try and resize the ends - is this a waste of time or worth the effort - what would you "normally" do to fix this????

Thanks

2. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

If it was mine Id adapt a modern something to it before it dies altogether and you have to find a $$$$ rebuild kit. Bentdsens and Wilcap would be places to start.
    Motors Manuals of those years had excellent tranny sections also.
    Iffn I remember Nash used a GM Hydromatic before the BW; if it has the same pattern as a GM then adapters already exist.

3. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Yes we used to do that all the time in the old days Also check to see if O ring on tube under valve body is intach.It is oil pick up to pump.

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Fair enough - I'll rig up something to resize them - I'm thinking making them .001 or .002 too big would be about right - do you recall how much interference you'd shoot for???

As for that O-ring - yes I did look to make sure it was intact and it was, but it was a square cut O-ring and I wondered if the "nitwit factor" struck again - so I was contemplating stuffing a fresh round one in there. Didn't make sense to me that it was square, but then again I have no experience with these so maybe that's right.

Thanks for your thoughts.

5. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

We used to expand them with a tappered seal pick .Remember o ring being round but have not did one in 15 years.Did lots in the 70s .