Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40s Ford Drum Brake Question (photos)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R1NO, Dec 8, 2017.

1. R1NO

R1NO
    from MD

I know, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. So here I go. My 46 Ford coupe has these odd drums on the rear. They are shot and can not be turned out any further. I would like to keep my hubs and order a set of drums and studs from macs, joes, c&g, summit... whoever.
    My question:
    The hub either mounts to the front of the drum, or it is pressed in from the back (which i assume is like "normal") and simply has an additional component in the form of that plate..
    If yall could take a look at these drums and verify that the hubs do in fact press in from the back (inside).....or the front. I also have a 47 and the drums hubs look quite different (i.e normal). The hub on the 47s rear brake is pressed in from the back (inside) of rhe drum.
    I am aware of the entire swedge cutting tool...hydraulic press process from start to finish. I have a machine shop for all that. I am just lining everything up and want to have all the right parts (new drums) in hand before I go up there.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. town sedan

town sedan

No expert, but I believe that there are two styles of drums and hubs. Here's a bump for the smarter people.
    -Dave

3. Andy

Andy

The early style is like a modern brake hub with the hub flange on the inside of the drum. The later style as shown has the flange on the outside. The repo drums are all cast iron and don't like to have serrated studs pressed in. I think the only style drums offered is for the early hubs. I am often wrong.
    You need the early hubs.
    The easy way to cut the old studs out is with a 5/8" deep hole saw. It easily cuts the swedges.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. R1NO

R1NO
    from MD

Looks like i need a 51A-1125 or (51A-1105) hub with a 4" center hole to accept my hub from the outside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Andy

Andy

You really should not post acting sure of yourself if you have no knowledge of what you are talking about. The hubs are different and the drums are different and can not be mixed. Please take a little care about what you post

R1NO and Silva like this.
  6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

@Andy If I was given bad information in the past, I'll submit to your knowledge. But I was told long ago, that the pictured (late) hub can be used for either style drum as it has the flange on the face side for the earlier drum and the narrower snout on the backside for the later drum. In other words, you can use the early or late drum on a late hub but if you have the early hubs, you are limited to early drums.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Contact MT Car Products and ask your question. Fordbarn folks can also help.Their high quality brake drums fit the OEM hub and studs. So, if you can remove just the drum you could use MT drums They also sell new hubs with studs. Use you OEM bearings. MT drums make it nice because you never again need a wheel puller to remove rear brake drums.
    http://www.mtcarproducts.com/Brakes.html
    1st photo: MT replacement drum
    2nd photo: MT hub comes with studs installed
    3rd photo: MT hub with new seals installed
    4th photo: Backside of OEM Ford early rear drum
    5th photo: Front of OEM early ford drum

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. Andy

Andy

The hub flanges are spaced differently so the brakes surfaces stay in the same position. The late hubs do not have register to position the earlier drum. The early hubs are not flat on the back and do not have register on the back. The early drum does not have a hole big enough to go over the back of the late hub.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Andy knows of what he speaks. Listen to him.

Here it is simplified: early drums = hubs on the inside.
    late drums = hubs on the outside.

The switch date is not nailed down, but approximately 1942. If your car came with the opposite style, somebody got to it before you did.

Andy likes this.