Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Gas line... How close is too close ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahshoe, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ahshoe

ahshoe

I know that there is no rule of thumb but I had to redo my exhaust from a round glass pac design to a oval design muffler now my fuel line is about 3/4" from the muffler at one point. It is a steel fuel line, not rubber. Should I be concerned. Anybody else close to this?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I wouldn't be at all comfortable about this. At the very LEAST I would put a silicone insulating sleeve on that section of hardline if for no other reason than to keep the fuel cooler. Then there's the whole explosion potential.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

If you have to ask, it's too close!

4. i would move it

maybe i'm being paranoid....there is a spot farther back on my `36 where the steel fuel line is about 3 inches from the exhaust , i have a heat shield on it

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, add shield of some type of heat resistant material

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

as well as shields etc add something sacrifical, like zip tie, as a tell tale - hopefully you'll have learned something is getting too hot before it's too late!

lothiandon1940 and Max Gearhead like this.
  7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

What fuel system do you have? With a carburetor, the flow normally stops and starts as the needle valve opens and closes so the fuel sits in the line and heats up. With a bypass system like fuel injection or a bypass type regulator, there is constant flow so the fuel won't get very hot in a short distance.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Imagine getting off the freeway after a hard run in August, you pull into an air conditioned restaurant for a bite to eat.
    While you are chilling in comfort that fuel line out there is literally boiling away.

9. Oh my God are you Trying to Blow up Your Car Thats the way to do it
    shit I had a problem like That between my Electric Fuel pump & Tail Pipe
    and I did not like because it was about 3" from pipe & Moved to about 6".

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

olscrounger likes this.
  10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly as Squirrel said , you obviously have concerns. So the fuel line needs to be shifted. No amount of shielding will work in 3/4".

lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  11. gene-koning

gene-koning

You all haven't looked at how close the fuel lines run compared to the exhaust under many newer cars have you? Gene

12. dan31

dan31

Moving it might be a P.I.T.A but so is insurance paperwork and hospital beds.

13. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Just sleeve it! Heat sleeve protects higher heat than will ever come close to the line. I’ve been sleeving my fuel lines for years, and I haven’t blown up yet! Everything in the engine bay of my latest build is heat protected, wether it’s needed or not.

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Putting aside the explosion worries, there are still potential vapor lock and combustion efficiency issues with warm/hot gasoline. Shield or move.

dan31 and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.