Register now to get rid of these ads!

Montgomery Ward motorcycle help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V8, Jul 2, 2005.

1. V8

V8

I know this isn't a motorcycle board but I do not use the computer alot and don't know of any boards as helpful as this one. Anyways, I have been looking for a sportster or something to build a little bobber and came across this guy. I have not been able to find any info at all on it, I will get the I.D. #'s tomorrow. Anyways, I couldn't pass it up. It is a 1968 montgomery ward 350cc motorcyle and is registered and only has 300 original miles and has a bitchin looking motor(you can't really see it good in this picture). I figured I couldn't go wrong for 350 dollars. But I was wondering what kind of motor it might be, It says made in italy on the tank and has some italian writing on the oil cap? Any help would be apreciated.thanks

Attached Files:

2. i drive 55

i drive 55

i'm gonna guess benelli, i know they made some small bikes like the fireball that montgomery put there name on.

3. V8

V8

were those any good?Should I even bother making something out of it. and thanks for the reply...

4. i drive 55

i drive 55

i like little italian bikes so im not the one to ask. if it was me i'd make a little cafe racer out of it. i've never seen one as a chopper imagine you would have to keep it pretty lite to still keep up on the highway.

5. BELLM

BELLM

Benelli. No, they are not any good, I will bail you out & take it off your hands!!! Good score!!

6. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Looks like a cool bike, single cylinder?

7. V8

V8

wow, thanks for all the help, I will try to get you a better pic of the engin today its really cool lookin. maybe I can build this thing and sell it for a harley...hahaha

8. I think they were as good as any bikes of the time ,remember HARLEY DAVIDSON?:) they were't that good,then- either........I believe Harley had a time where they had Benelli or Americchi build THEIR bikes...I had a modified ERS 350 Sprint OvalTrack Racer that was made for Harley in the 70's by one of the Italian manufacturers.......it was a fast SOB by the way.....

I think I'd lean towards the cafe stye as mentioned above- as it definitely would look better in that vein........as a chopper =no.

9. V8

V8

This is my first bike...What does a cafe racer look like, I was just going to make a hardtail for it and strip it all down for a solo seat and smaller tank...

10. pizant213

pizant213
    from california

11. Thumper

Thumper

The Harley was built in Italy by Ameracchi. Try here..... Moto Italia

12. bcarlson

bcarlson

AAaaaahhhh!!! Don't do that! These should be either restored, or cafe racer-ed! You'll get much more $$ for it (if that's your goal) by doing this way... all of the pseudo-yuppie-wanna-be-coffee-drinking-philosophising-racer-boys will love it.

Ben

13. According to that Motorcycle Compendium Benelli is still in business although has been sold several times. My experience with Italian firms is they don't bother to service or stock old items or parts for long but there must be some club following somewhere.
    300 original miles? What could possibly be wrong with it? Ahehehehehe!

It has a beautiful tank already. Not bobber material.

14. Fidget

Fidget

15. Winfab

Winfab

And I thought I was the only one watching that yellow cafe racer on e-bay. Geesh! Too far away for me anyway.

V8...I'd suggest the cafe racer route too.

16. pizant213

pizant213
    from california

I also suggest it. I was given one of these bikes yesterday by a friend and I was thinking of selling it but since I didn't know what the hell it was I decided to google about it And I found you guys and that e-bay pic I posted now I'm keeping it and cafeing it does anyone know of whereabouts to find a headlight and a left engine cover for tha 350.

17. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

That eGay bike is frickin' sweet! THAT'S what you do with an Italian bike. Cafe is the only was to go. Red is the prefered color for Italian bikes...any Italian bikes.

18. synthsis

synthsis

wow, that's a sharp looking cafe. i wonder how comfy it is over any extended period of time.

19. definetly go caffe racer with it. Im doing that to a 74 Honda i just got a hold of. Gotta keep it old school, looking at least ya know.
    As far as a good motorcycle board, try the brother board to this one, the jockeyjournal. I have found that place to be perty cool:D