Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trouble with MTProducts Lincoln front brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Choppedcoupe, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I’m having trouble with interference between my wheel cylinder and the kingpin. I have square-back spindles and the MTProducts backing plates. The backing plate seats onto the spindle without any conflict..until I try to install the wheel cylinder. I can’t grind off the wheel cylinder to create clearance, since the place that contacts the kingpin is also where the brake line attaches. I will call them for advice on Monday. In the meantime-anybody worked thru this in the past? The top photo is me-the second photo shows a photo of a backing plate that is NOT having my problem. Where’s the difference-wrong spindles?

Attached Files:

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. alchemy

alchemy

The not-a-problem pic shows a 37-41 round back spindle. Does MT say their backing plates will only fit round spindles? The kingpins are longer on square backs, and you seem to have found that out.

4. I had a very similar situation with my Ford juice brake backing plates and early king pins with the mech brake cup made it impossible to attach a brake flex hose. The problem was the 45 degree threaded boss on the wheel cylinder, I switched to standard 90 degree cylinders like in your second pic and it was all good.

5. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Thanks fellas. I was really excited not to have to grind on these square back spindles to get the backing plate to seat, but then I got this wheel cylinder clearance surprise. I have a set of round back spindles in the attic. I will pull them down and measure after church. Thanks so much. This is my first straight axle car-lots to learn- I really appreciate your I put.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I found lots of learning opportunities doing my '34 as well. You got this!

7. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Ok, so I got some round-back spindles out of the attic and took some measurements. As alluded to above, it looks like there is a difference in the heights of the upper kingpin boss. I’ve ordered some kingpins for my roundbacks and will let y’all know how it works out. Looking to me like the MTProducts backing plates require roundback spindles.

Attached Files:

8. Andy

Andy

I just took my spindles to the band saw and wacked 1/4"off the top of the bosses. I used the grinder to grind 1/4" off the king pins. I drilled and tapped the centers to put the dust caps back on. Cost no cash.
    I forgot I repositioned the bearings so not to take too much off them.

9. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Brilliant! Ah, I need to go ahead and get 37-41 roundback spindles anyway, so that I’m ready to go to bolt-on dropped steering arms should I ever go to a dropped axle. I bought some spindles from a forum member, but they are chromed, and I just don’t think I can stand it. So far, this is a no-chrome/no-billet car, other than valve covers and air filters.