Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody Ever Swap A 215 (Or 223) 6 Into A 1941-48 Ford Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Eli, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Texas Eli

Texas Eli

Just kind of thinking out loud, but has anybody pulled the 215 out of a '51 Pickup and dropped it in place of the flathead 6 in a '41-'48 Ford car? Seems like it ought to be an easy way to bolt in an overhead, using pretty much entirely factory parts. Will it work? Does it work? Thanks!

Eli

2. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Bought a 1941 Lincoln Zephyr with a previous Ford OHV straight six conversion. Bolted right up to the LZ transmission. Engine and trans were long gone when I got the Zephyr but seller confirmed the configuration. Don't really see the interest unless you want something VERY different, economical and inexpensive.

Texas Eli likes this.
  3. Texas Eli

Texas Eli

I want something VERY different, economical, and inexpensive!
    I like the '41-'48 Ford, plan on getting a Fordor, and my late father and I wrenched on 6-cylinder engines quite a bit. What I really wanted was to swap in a 300, but it's so long that it's a lot of hassle. My 'default' is a 351W/C-4, but that's just so simple and boring - not to mention, I want to teach my son how to do things like adjust valves, set points, etc. - how to be an actual mechanic.
    I got to thinking: Ford made the 226 Flathead (G-Series and H-Series) starting in 1941, replaced the 226 with the 215 in 1952, and replaced the 215 with the 223 in 1954. Using the timing cover (with motor mounts) from a '52 F-Series, along with the bellhousing items, on a 223 ought to let it bolt in place of a 226 while adding 50+ horsepower. Add Offy 2X1 intake, mild cam, '70ish 300 points distributor (or do a Duraspark/HEI), etc. - looks easy and cheap, powerful enough for the highways here in Texas, and certainly unique!

Eli

4. I would look for a 262 same family as the 215 223. Big truck only

Ford only made the 262 from 1961-1964. Ford used aircraft style rods. Steel crank, block reinforced webbing. Came with carb,coolant heat plate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

gimpyshotrods, Texas Eli and Hnstray like this.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You can put the 262 (forged) crank into the 223 and with a set of Y Block pistons you get almost 270 CI
    And they scream at El Mirage

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For your info-------Did you know Ford also had the "Model C"----A 4 banger optional in 1941???

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Make sure you start with some 6 cylinder sheet metal. The core support yoke and radiator shroud are completely different than a v8 car and give you way more room

Texas Eli likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IIRC, that was a Ford tractor engine (9N) and only in pickups. A Ford dealer and collector I worked for back in the '60s had one. Pretty rare I think.

Ray