Register now to get rid of these ads!

junkyard short shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8nova64, Jun 15, 2012.

1. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

Hi,
    Today I'll be heading to the junkyard to see if I can find some shocks for my nova project. I was wondering if anyone knew of some vehicles that came with short shocks.

I need a shock with an extended length of around 12 inches. Preferably something with eyes on both ends. If possible I would like to be able to put together a list of vehicles I could look for at the yard. There are usually no older vehicles there so I am hoping to find something in a late model vehicle. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

2. Shocks are about $ 25.00 each new. I wouldn't lay on the ground and take off some old rusty ones to save a few bucks. Take your measurments to a NAPA store and have at it. That way you'll have a part number when you have to replace them.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  3. 510madmav

510madmav

sometimes the parts store will let you go in the back and check out their selection.

4. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

In my honest opinion, there are a few parts that I just will not buy from a junkyard, shocks being one of them. You have no idea how many miles are on them, and while they may feel fine when you push-n-pull by hand, once you get the weight of a car bouncing on them they may not actuate so well. New shocks aren't that expensive (Monroe's out at O'Reilly's are around $25 each and come with a lifetime warranty) and if you ask nicely the guys behind the counter will usually pull out a couple different shocks and help you find one that is right for your needs. Used shocks are like used socks... I wouldn't buy either.

5. If you have a good parts store, they will have a shock absorber interchange book which gives the maximum and minimum shock lengths, Type of end, and load rating.

6. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

The problem is most if not all pof the parts stores here won't let you behind the counter. And they won't go by measurements they need a part number or vehicle to search by

7. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

So you would rather get some potentially shot shocks for your project than do a little legwork, make nice, and find a friend on the other side of the counter who might just share the same interests and would help you find a new set that would be what you need? Dude, stay away from the burger joint auto parts stores. THEY'RE all going to give you the same answer because they're making 8 bucks an hour and your specialty parts don't mean shit to them. Find a NAPA, or even an O'Reilly's. Auto Zone and Advance are great if you need a 9" chromed plastic Jesus for your back window. Other than that, find a REAL parts store.

8. aaggie

aaggie

NAPA is probably your best bet, they have Monroe books that shows all sizes, ends etc..

I can't think of any newer car with conventional shocks, they all use some kind of strut assembly.

9. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Ask for Corvette shocks from a 67-80's something. They are short and will accomplish what you want. I use Gabriel Air shocks on the rear of my 32 and those filled the bill just fine. The mid-length is just about 12 inches and have an extended length of 15" and a compressed length of 9".
    Hope this helps, otherwise look up shock mfgs. and you'll find something, as many will list the dimensions and travel.
    Jim

Dyce likes this.
  10. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Here's what I would do. Monroe has a webpage that shows length, travel and mounting styles for each shock that they manufacture. Spend some time there, pick a part number that you like. Then search their catalog for the application for that part number. A little seat time with Google will save a lot of time on your back trying to figure out will work.

But that's just me.

11. Rickdeluxe

Rickdeluxe

Find the Monroe specs book that lives on the web. It has all sizes, ends, numbers etc. Then you can order that number at Rockauto or your local partsstore!

12. supervert

supervert

just remember that coils and leafs compress and rebound at different rates. most people wont know the difference though. i would try to find something from a similar setup and weight that you are building.

13. Phil1934

Phil1934

Monroe 5752 for 1950 Plymouth
    Extended Length 12.750" Closed 8.625"

RICH B likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Monroe interchange is online and any shock absorber manufacture in the world should be able to cross a Monroe number if you don't like blue.

http://www.monroe.com/ slide the cursor over "catalog and then click on Mounting and length sheets under Miscellaneous. That will bring up a pfd sheet that shows the mounting and open and closed length of every Monroe shock. It takes a bit of work but you can do it sitting in front of the computer and get the parts number you need.

I'm with the other guys in that it is a waste of time and money to go to a wrecking yard for shocks. You may as well go dig in the scrap bin behind the local tire store's front end shop. Most any shock you get at the wrecking yard will be worn out and have to be replaced anyhow.

15. I used 70-83 chevy truck front shocks on my 50 dodge 12 1/4 open, 91/4 compressed. $19 new

16. also beware of "sensa-trac" style shocks. they are good but are designed to provide different dampening levels at different points in their travel. they are designed for a certain vehicle at a set height.

17. Oh brother nova!

Call Monroe tech line for custom application, there must be 7,000 different configurations.

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

It's not likely you'll find a "Good" pair of shocks the first ones you take off!! I'd ask someone here if they could help you find a part# to match the measurements, then you can go to your local parts place and give them the part number.

19. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

20. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

well afte talking with my buddy who works at a warehouse parts store he finally convinced his manager to let me measure shocks and he showed me to a rack full of brand neew never opened discontinued ones that i got a deal on. shocks are mounted already. they are monroe sensatrac

thanks for all the help anyway guys I appreciate it

21. TubT

TubT
    from Texas

Sorry to revive this old thread. I have a friend looking for a short set of shocks for the front of his T bucket. I wonder what the number was that he found?

The suggestion I have made was to check the shocks made for the back of the cab of trucks with sleepers. The Freightliner uses one that crosses to Gabriel 83001. That is just over 8 inches long, fully compressed.

22. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...MIwPjFmeza1wIVRLnACh0u0QV7EAQYAiABEgIzsPD_BwE

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

Monroe 5752 sensitrac are about the shortest ive found . and $20.oo each at auto zone 8.5 to 12.5 or so !! 49-51 dodge ,ply., Chrysler frnt.

25. The parts store sites have sizes when you hit the specifications tab
    FF921429-903C-4DFF-A8CB-2C846FC094BF.png
    This is for a 64 nova. It lists how it’s mounted and extended/compressed heights. This method is how I buy shocks when I do custom stuff.

26. 1950 plymouth shocks = $14.77 at rock auto