Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trouble under the hood of the 56 chrysler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Bruce....try to find new old stock, US made condensers on EBay or at swap meets. I stumbled across a NOS GM box that has about 12-16 individually boxed condensers. I consider that a lifetime supply. New condenser are likely Chinese or offshore..not good. I've even taken to buying those skin packed tune up kits they used to sell at the 5 and dime...remember those? Pretty much whenever I find old US made tune up stuff I buy it. I'm really not an electronic ignition guy....a well serviced points ignition system, using US made parts, will give you plenty of notice when it's going to go bad. Electronic shit..not so much. Electronic stuff will fail at the worst possible moments...and with no notice whatsoever.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. upspirate

upspirate

A simple question I don't know the answer to: Will any condenser that fits work, or do they have different values for the application?

osage orange likes this.
  3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

If you convert to Chrysler Electronic ignition, then you will only have to keep a spare electronic ignition module (controller) and a spare ballast resistor in your glove box! (about $80)
    Stick with carrying a spare condenser or 2 and screwdriver! (about $8)
    KK

4. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

glad you got it running, like everyone says condensors really suck.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Check the manual for your application. But - I believe the capacitance value is not critical. Or not super critical anyway. For V6 and V8 at least, 0.21 to 0.25 MFD (uF, or whatever they call units of capacitance these days) will work fine. It doesn't have to fit or be located inside the distributor either for that matter.

Bruce Fischer and upspirate like this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Condensers have been giving us fits for decades, Asian production only made it worst. I can remember one on my employees back in the 70's doing a tune up on his car, it would not start afterwards. He called me in a panic as he could not get to work. I took a quick run to his house, reviewed what they had tried, and said where is the old condenser? Took it out of the trash, swapped them out car ran perfect. New condenser was bad from the factory, NAPA/Echlin part too.
    as stated keep one on the glove box, along with whatever you need to change it. Match book and nail file for the points also will usually get you home.

brad2v, oldsjoe and Bruce Fischer like this.
  7. From a similar incident I had to your issue I’m thinking something going on in the fuel tank,
    Something may be floating in there and clogging the pickup sock then slowing or halting fuel delivery. When you lift off the pedal does it straighten out for a period until you put your foot into it again?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

8. Latigo

Latigo

OK Bruce, forget the SBC. Just kidding anyway. In the 60's and 70's I would never change a condensor with a tuneup. They either worked or they didn't. (Advice from Dad) Recently I've changed more condensors, more often then in the prior 30 years or so. Just don't make 'em like they used to. Next time I'm in my favorite yard I'll pull a few vintage ones as suggested.

oldsjoe and Bruce Fischer like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then wash your mouth out with soap...did you swear @Bruce Fischer and I missed it...:p

Bruce Fischer and mad mikey like this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Seriously? Shit I have drawer full of them, one of the most popular size coupling caps used in vintage tube guitar amps, I use them all the time.

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

MF and UF are the same thing, they both stand for microfarad.

OahuEli and Bruce Fischer like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From experience, just as bad as a bad or suspect condenser is a loose condenser. It acts pretty close to the same.

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sure, use an orange drop, for creamy tone and extended crunch tooling down the highway. "Don't Be Vague... Ask for Sprague!"

(Or are you one those cork sniffers who demand Russian PIO caps??) /jk

Blues4U and Bruce Fischer like this.
  14. gene-koning

gene-koning

Glad to hear you got it running Bruce. I'm not a big fan of points and condensers, though I've changed a bunch of them through the years. I was a mechanic doing tuneups from the early 70s on.

If your Chrysler was my car, it would have already been converted to the Mopar Electronic Ignition, but I understand those that don't want to change. It didn't take me very long to get tired of changing points and condensers every year in my rides, once the Mopar Electronic Ignition came out in 73. I've had a lot more problems with the points systems then I have ever had with the electronic ignitions, and I've put a butt load more miles on electronic ignition equipped vehicles. Gene

Blues4U and Bruce Fischer like this.
  15. Hey Bruce, I’ve had big trouble with condensers, I’ve even tried the name brand ones. I’ve given up and converted everything to electronic ignition. Call Brillman Company and ask for Mr. Brillman himself and he will set you up. Make sure you get the coil to match the Pertronix unit.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Truck64 believe it or not that condenser I used came out of a 1962 Buick Electra I had. LOL. Thats why I want to get a couple of more. Bruce.

mad mikey likes this.
  17. Yes Mikey.I am a HAPPY CAMPER now!LOL.Bruce. 003.JPG

brad2v, Stogy, oldsjoe and 1 other person like this.
  18. 017.JPG

OahuEli, brad2v, Ford52PU and 2 others like this.
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

You can usually find old U.S.A.built Delco points and condensers in the original 10 or 12 pack cans at swapmeets.
    Most times it's $5.00 or less per container. If you have the Delco part number it's easier to find digging through the contents of a old service station or parts store inventory a swapper brings in a tub. Never paid more than a buck for individual points or condensers.

20. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Good goin Bruce! Now that's over have a little liveation and enjoy the view! Joe

21. I see your biggest problem; that's not a hemi!!

mad mikey and Bruce Fischer like this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha! No, I'm no fool. I've had many heated conversations with cork sniffers. I use generic brands of caps. What is important with caps is reliability first, second is actual capacitance value, as that can vary from the marked value. Beyond that, there is very little to no difference between caps. Those who claim there is are not able to consistently identify caps in blind testing. People can get real stupid about it. It's bad enough in the guitar amp world, high end audio is even worse.

23. willys36.I know but I still like my poly 331 motor.Bruce.

mad mikey likes this.
  24. Well got a new condenser and threw in the glove box.I am leaving the older one in for now.Bruce.

oldsjoe, mad mikey and Gman0046 like this.
  25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bruce, don't blame you for not touching it if its running OK. Like the old saying "let sleeping donkey's lay".

26. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I would go to the trouble of trying out the new condenser before it goes in the glove box. About half of the electrical stuff I've bought in the last 10 years has been junk.

It would be fairly embarrassing to have the installed condenser go bad on a cold rainy night and, after smiling knowingly at the missus, you discover your "new" condenser is bad.

Bruce Fischer and belair like this.
  27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

A scaled dog? I ain't petting that! Do they make scaled donkeys too?

Gman0046 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  28. Modded 105E

Modded 105E

Here in the U.K. One of the main difficulties with old cars is finding quality electrical components and in particular condensers and points. On an original Anglia with 6v system 2 brand new condensers failed after only a few weeks one left me stranded in a difficult place. Generally although lots is being reproduced you are better to track down NOS. Chinese replicas have a mostly short life in my experience.