Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Ford Pickup SBC vs SBF

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Nov 2, 2017.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I know the HAMB era ends in 1965, and I'm fine with that, my '39 Ford pickup project will be right there. I got a really good deal on a SBC & 5speed, but really would rather have a 289 and a Ford top loader. For the guys that have installed both, are they both an easy fit, or is there firewall cutting? Thanks, photos are always good to look at.

Bob

Dino 64 likes this.
  2. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Im sure youll have to cut firewall. My 38 has flathead in it still and it doesn't have any room between firewall and motor. There are some reads about it on here and a 38-39 club also.

3. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

x2 on the rather have, Go with your Gut............

4. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

You can go with the ford in a ford, my vote !! Just install a Bronco rear sump oil pan, check the distance from the rear of the motor to the radiator. I will change my 41 soon, 302 with a C4 yeah baby !! It has a small block chebby came that way. :(

droppedstepside likes this.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm a "Chevrolet guy", but I'd go with the Ford into Ford also. Distributor's in the front, engine is narrower, and it sounds like that's what you want anyways. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

droppedstepside and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. I do not know if there is a lot of difference between a '39 and a '40 under the hood room. Here is a pic of a gm 350 in a '40 pickup I did 10 yrs. ago. Did not have to do anything to the firewall. There was a 1/2" clearance between the passenger side valve cover and the firewall and the dip stick for the 350 trans was a tight fit but it worked. hope this helps.
    EDIT: I did have to use an electric fan though as there was not enough room for a mechanical set-up.
    forty003.JPG

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I have put 302 SBF , 351-W and 351-c Boss and 429 Ford big block - and 327 Chevy in 1939 / 1940 Fords. Yes the ford engines are more work - requiring fire wall surgery and mustang IRS helps greatly. But I do have a 1939 dex. Coupe with straight axel and 351- w and 1.5 inch firewall set back . The 429 was a big fit. The Chevies fit easy - evaluate your fabrication skills. If low - do the Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Put the Chevy in. Everything about it, fits better !

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

DSCN1468.JPG everyone runs sbc's...
    step out into the sun, run a SBF the way god and henry intended...

10. Look at the snow white shorty Ford water pump kit,it will help you gain 2 extra inches of much needed room when running a sbf. HRP

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for all the replies so far, the SBC and 5 Speed will wind up being free at the rate the extras are moving, in a perfect world someone would swap me even for a SBF and 4 Speed. Just remembering the 1965 era, Jim Clark winning INDY is a Lotus Ford, Ford GT40's finishing Le Mans 1,2,3, I'd be happier with the Ford under the hood of the '39.

Bob

12. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Ford in a Ford would be my choice..A perfect match.

ChefMike and droppedstepside like this.
  13. i have a 302/c4 i will trade you.

Clay Belt and studebaker46 like this.
  14. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

GEDC0833.JPG I have a 302 in my '40 pickup. I didn't have to do anything to the firewall. I used the Explorer water pump, timing cover and balancer (50OZ). Pusher electric fan, sealed against the radiator, works well.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  15. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I saved this pic. Like it - Thanks

16. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

One of my friends did use the Snow White water pump kit - 1939 Ford and 302 - did not cut the firewall with an puller electric fan.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Today I'm thinking the SBC may be ok, I'd only have to open the hood to jump start it and check the oil.

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

37 kid...
    I know what you mean... if I was stuck with a sbc under my hood I would only open it for a jump or to add oil...

19. Dan E

Dan E

[​IMG]

I installed a 5.0L out of a mustang with the T5 five speed. I did cheat by picking up a new frame form Boling Brothers Early Iron. I think Fords should go into Fords

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I’m no brand loyalist, I think it’s kinda silly... I put a 350 in my 41. I’m not certain, but I’d bet the engine compartment is pretty close in size to the 39. I was considering the 302 but having to buy different front drive accessories, oil pan, etc just for the sake of fordinaford turned me off. The Chevy fit right in with the only mod being replacing the x member center with two plates to accommodate the trans (th350), mechanical fan, etc. exhaust was a bit tight with the stock steering but I used a 60s c10 pass side ram horn manifold on the drivers side and trimmed the engine mount on the frame back a bit. I got the bolt in engine mount kit from a guy in the classified here (40ragtopdown) that makes them. nice stuff and very reasonable.
    4D733FE1-EEEF-4777-8358-7FF67E6C9C91.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  21. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

If you are afraid to go fast, put in the Chev!

ChefMike likes this.
  22. Definitely keep it all Ford. You won't have to open the hood to; jump it, put in oil, or change the name across the hood;).

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

you know why they paint chebbies orange... so you don't trip on them in the woods...

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well..................The SBC is something in a parts deal with a friend of 40+ years, and with the sell off of the other odds & ends just about free. Ted the local Chevy legend (tb33anda3rd) said go with the SBC, Pete Eastwood put one in his '25 T Ramp truck with a full hood, and Thunderbirdesq has one in his '40 delivery, he did a really nice job and dropped my '32 Heavy, but that is another story. CSRA Swap Meet was today, I told myself the small block decision would depend on finding a set of rocker covers. Found them.:) DSCF1735.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'd be more inclined to hide a SBF. They may run good, but they are not a good looking engine, and shoehorning them into an early Ford always looks a bit Rube Goldberg to me.

Here's a SBF in what looks like a 39 Ford truck. I don't mean to demean the guys truck, but it's not an especially good looking engine, is it? Well, I guess these things are subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.

Anyway, I took the pics yesterday Bob, to post them here for you. Hope they help.
    IMG_0825.jpg IMG_0826.jpg IMG_0827.jpg

26. Those headers and the wiring nest leave a lot to be desired. Like a Cheby Distributer hidden in the back.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF1761.JPG Well the Olds Rocket covers do fit, or will once adaptors for the screws are fabricated. Ran the numbers and it is a 327 , three years past the HAMB cutoff year, and I'm having second thoughts. What if this is worth more than I think it is? eBay sold prices make me wonder if flipping the engine & 5speed world be the smart thing and rebuild the SBF I've had for a few years. Bob

28. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

I started working on old ford in the early 70's
    back then you only did it one way.
    put the chevy in and be happy.
    and your old ford will be happy to.

283john and scrap metal 48 like this.
  29. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

who ever thought the SBC was to become the new flathead.GEE

Fabulous50's and scrap metal 48 like this.
  30. goldmountain

goldmountain

Chevy. They look so pretty when you dress them up. You can get intakes for one to six carbs, blowers and whatever. Chrome oil pans, water pumps, timing covers, finned valve covers every which way, and cheap. With the Ford, you put on 4 Weber carbs, Cobra valve covers and oil pan and you have hit the limit, more or less. As far as to what is the better engine, it's a toss up; either one. If you want a pretty Ford engine, get a flathead. In any case, the Chevy gives you more bling for the buck.

joel, 283john, TagMan and 1 other person like this.