Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 61 Falcon - C4 Install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave rolfe, Nov 19, 2017.

1. dave rolfe

dave rolfe

I am going to be installing a 289 into my 1961 falcon and I would like to know if there is a certain year C4 that I should use... I know I need a 6 bolt bellhousing...

Any tip to make this easier?

Dave

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. butch27

butch27

Can't remember but I think that was is getting scarce .

3. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

find a small bell trans 157 tooth i think it will fit alot better than the big bell and a bolt in trans crossmember if your 61 has the small crosmember like my early 63. my trans came out of a 71 mustang

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'd avoid the earliest C4s with the "green dot" funky shift pattern. As for the rest, I'd recommend this book, which gives good descriptions on variations from year-to-year, and lots of improvements/modifications, etc.:

[​IMG]

Chiss and loudbang like this.

5. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I’m using a 68 in our 64 Ranchero. Anything from 67 to 70 will be good. Experts say look for something in the 1970 year. Most of the aftermarket bases their parts on the 1970 model year. It has to do with input shaft change from 24 to 26 spline. That happened in 1970.
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

When installing a v8 in an 60 or 61 falcon do not delete the pipe cross member that goes under the engine. It requires a little modification to clear factory V8 mounts.

7. squirrel

squirrel

quick way to tell a 1970 and later trans from a 1969 or earlier, is that the casting numbers on the parts are different. D0AP is the later one, and C4AP (or with a later number) is an early one.

because Ford part numbers are very helpful, they tell you what year the part was first used. C is 1960s, D is 1970s. As mentioned the C4 was redesigned in 1970 with larger parts inside.

Kind of makes me think they named it the C4 because it was introduced in 1964 models. And they called the C6 the C6 because it was introduced in the 1966 models.

Of course, the C3 and C5 designations for those transmissions, make no sense at all :)

Flathead Dave likes this.
  8. dave rolfe

dave rolfe

Thank you all for the info...time to go shopping.

9. VTjunk

VTjunk

A 68-69 C4 is easy to find since the cars they came in are being modified every day. It's still the 24 spline input but has the later NON green dot C4 shift pattern, and it would be hard to find one that wasn't the smaller 157 tooth bellhousing to make it an easier fit in the small pre 63 trans tunnel cars. They'll hold up to a decent amount of power too. Look for a C8A or C8O prefix casting number.

Your 289 is a 6 bolt, but if you had a 5 bolt block the cruiseomatic 5 bolt bell will swap to a later C4.

10. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

+1 on the book recommendation. Very useful and well worth the purchase price for me.

More info on the subtle differences in C-4's and bell housings here: http://www.pigseye.com/sadie/trans/c4.htm

Informative links off that page as well.

Ed