Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brian Bass on Fast & Loud

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xracer40, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Damn I love the 554. I could kinda see the direction of the build and I did watch the entire episode out of curiosity for the finished product. The only thing missing at the end was a 1320 foot burnout.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Thanks HEMI32 for posting those videos up! The inside look from Brian is cool! I finally got to hear that BAD ASS Hot Rod! Although live would be better! Joe

4. Thanks for the in depth reply, I ask questions to learn, not to criticize. All of that makes sense. No reason to hurt the motor when it's already a beast!

chryslerfan55, dwollam and loudbang like this.
  5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Wanted to thank you for posting the videos - enjoyed the second one so much, that I had to add it to my favorites on My Channel - 31chevymike on You Tube. Love it!!! Also many thanks for allowing us HAMBers to see the build BEFORE it aired on Fast & Loud!

6. thanks
    I will use this in my class. Young folks just don't understand what doors may be opened by learning a skilled trade combined with imagination, natural talent and drive

7. Wow! 2 great videos right there!

loudbang, 31chevymike and HEMI32 like this.
  8. Never2low

Never2low

This thread reminded me, my Bass Kustom shirt has a lot of miles on it, and is due for a replacement.
    Swag on the way!:D

31chevymike, Bass, dwollam and 2 others like this.
  9. mjgord51

mjgord51

I have to disagree a little here with your words "this is a build not a clone" Looks pretty much like a clone to me with a few less stickers and numbers, at least you are right it was a build. my .02

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Not sure if you’re just trolling here, but I’m going have to disagree with your assessment of it as a “clone” of the 554.

The Mooneyham and Sharp 554 was an all-out race car...not a street car. In fact, once it went from being a dry lakes car to a drag car, the chassis they put together was sort of a primitive version of what funny car chassis evolved into through the years. It had a severely set back engine and center steering, but did not have all the tubing that would constitute a modern roll cage. I’ve attached some chassis photos to further this point.

The ‘34 we built on the show was inspired by the “554”, which I’ve stated repeatedly. It was meant to be a streetable, hot rod version of the ‘33-34 Fuel Coupes of the early ‘60s. And to me, that is exactly what we ended up with. A hot rod that has a full interior, electronic fuel injection, overdrive manual trans, front brakes, a radiator, etc. etc...but has the look, feel, and vibe of those cars that we wanted to emulate.

If I wanted to build an exact clone, I feel that I am definitely capable of doing that. I’ve studied the 554 and I know what it would take. But that wasn’t our goal.

In closing however...since the 554 is probably the baddest ‘33-34 Ford 5-window Coupe ever...and that one we did apparently looks close enough to fool you into believing it’s a clone...then I guess I can’t be mad at that. Cheers.

6789B673-AFBA-4086-A184-C1569D580FDC.jpeg 0ABCAEF3-42C5-4684-A9F5-2224F568F329.jpeg 35649529-1E24-4927-9DB6-B654A42B67D7.jpeg

Stogy, LSGUN, 31chevymike and 23 others like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew the inspiration from the get go but it is easy for me to see that it is a Bass vision street coupe rather than an all out drag car or clone. When it comes to traditional early Ford hot rod builds it is damned near impossible to come up with something that isn't inspired by a car or cars of the past.

Side note: Those that didn't bother to watch that show totally missed the Brian Bass vision part. I think some of watching grasped that vision for the car before the guys you were working with did or so it appeared.

12. I get it Brian, and I applaud you for the build. I have been a fan and student of Gene Mooneyham, and his coupe since I first saw it run in 1962. I Have an album of photos of the 554 on my profile page. It was beating much lighter tube framed, glass bodied altereds it's entire career. Yes, it is, indeed the most bad ass '34 coupe ever. I love that a man of your age is also a fan of this historic race car. Your GM build is as close as a street coupe can get, and is a great tribute to the original. You done good!

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Definitely not wanting to put words in anyone's mouth here.
    The word "clone" has kind of taken on a negative connotation within the car world.
    I think using the term "tribute car" has become more universally accepted.

14. Killer car...it...that motor....wow...the chop....the interior...great car.

15. brady1929

brady1929

I agree. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

16. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

fantastic work, to bad it was done with monkey butt garage that guy is hopeless

mjgord51 likes this.
  17. Hombre

Hombre

Brian, Man all anyone has to do is just look at this car and know it is not a clone of anything. It is a beautiful car, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I am in the process of building a 34, 3 window coupe myself. I only wish I could do the justice to my car that you have done to this one, but I live in the real world. I simply do not have the talent or skills to even approach what you have built in this 34 Ford of yours. In the end it will be a good car, solid and nice but it will never rise to your level of expertise, that's just the way things are sometimes. But with that said Brian man you just have to get rid of that damn ugly Duck...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

03-1957275570M.jpg I miss the drive by heckling that use to be here. I'm tired of the fresh new builds that ain't. I'm gonna go watch Mayberry, at least Floyd had a new line every once in awhile. :D

19. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watched the 1st part hope to catch the 2nd part . Mr. Bass has a way of building time period machines . With all the whining and chaos going on around him he stayed the course and kept moving forward with the build. Not letting his standards be watered down.

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I watched the build and it is totally out of my price range, but Richard will find some rich guy who will
    buy it so he can move on to something else.
    Great build though. Well thought out. Just wish once in my life to have the funds and the resources to build and just hold my hand out for more money and it gets filled up.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok - SOME of this post is turning into drama with reports from BOTH sides ( agree / discagree) are coming in.

You fellas can agree/ disagree all you want with what ever - Everyone has their .02 worth opinions, BUT as soon as the focus turns from the CAR POST to more about .02 worth opinions disagreements and those replies becomes more of the focus etc. etc., the post turns to drama and your post will be deleted.

It's a editorial decision to delete posts Moderators see as DRAMA.

If you don't agree , don't like it, can't agree to disagree without calling names, or get offended or take exception to, then maybe the HAMB is not for you.

Let's get back to the CAR please and not the people disagreements drama.

Thank you.

22. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I'm just curious, if Brian supplied vintage speed equipment for the build or other rare parts, I hope he was more than well compensated....as this episode only boosted the ratings on the GMG show. I would have liked to seen Brian end up with the car at the very least.

31chevymike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. I won't speak out of turn for Brian, but I'd hazard a guess that Brian didn't donate the parts to the build. He provided a source, and they were bought, same as any other part they needed.
    As for him ending up with the car, I guess if he wrote the right cheque... :)

31chevymike, chryslerfan55 and hrm2k like this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would hazard a guess that Brian was well compensated for leading the build of this, along with appearing on the show and that any and all parts that were used in the build were paid for by GMG!

31chevymike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Bass
    We watched a rerun last night and the wife says screw the 37, get the 34 off the sawhorses and onto a chassis. We got real amped up on your 34 paint color. Our 34 is only a 4 inch chop though :-D

Runnin shine likes this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey man, look out... your swimming in my wake.

I'm always cool with opinions. What I'm not cool with is folks calling other folks names in an attempt to get their opinion across. That shit is just lame.

As for this thread... Yeah, I'm starting to remember why I don't allow reality TV threads. I mean, reality TV and social media have essentially proven to be the downfall of modern civilization, right? So fuck it... this thread is closed.

Cool car. Lame show. Seems to be the final verdict.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.