Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1941-1948 Ford with SBC...Exhaust Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LBCD, Oct 15, 2017.

1. LBCD

LBCD

Yesterday I had my muffler guy remove the Walker mufflers due to the drone and installed 30'' Smithy's and although it sounds great at idle as soon as I put my foot into it the drone is worse. I have Dynamat everywhere and a thick jute pad under the carpet but the vibration is awful, I'm thinking the tight tuck headers is where to start first...what are you guys using for exhaust and not getting any drone with an SBC?

2. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

ram horn manifold cheep turbo mufflers 2 1/4 pipe

Early Ironman and jim snow like this.
  3. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks Bob...the headers have to go and I will be picking up the Ram horns soon

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I used 265 manifolds to clear the steering box on my 46, 2"X 26" Smittys, 3"X 12" "ECHO CANS", the thing sounds fantastic, my opinion!!

5. LBCD

LBCD

Rick...thanks! where did you place the echo cans? Do you have any pics of your set up?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LBCD, are you piped all the way out the back?

7. donno

donno

If the mufflers aren't in the right location, you will get a drone. I have Flow Masters on my 46, the rear of the muffler is 9"-10" from the axle. No header's, old style manifolds that are below the plug wires. (Early Chevelle). The Merc has ceramic coated headers, Magna Flow's mounted the same way, no drone or rumble.

quicksilverart46 likes this.
  8. LBCD

LBCD

Exhaust ends just under the rear of the body, I had long tips on there before and it still droned. Here is a pic, 30” Smithy’s and when I lean back into the seat and tilt my head back it is way more tolerable. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. fordflambe

fordflambe

Cut the mufflers off and throw them away and you will never hear the drone..............

quicksilverart46 and LBCD like this.
  10. I just turn my hearing aids down if the drone bothers me. :)

11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

X2

12. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks guys, I just ordered the ram horns and should have them on in a week and go from there, the drone is hardley noticable in the back seat so I'm saying the headers are 75% of the drone.

13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Mufflers need to be back near the rear axle, not under the seat . The closer to the motor the mufflers are , the less effective they are. And no offense ,but your exhaust guys bending and routeing ability are not really up to par. Larry

14. ZZ4 engine. Sanderson tight tuck hraders. 2.5" forward pipes into 3 chamber short Flowmasters and into 2.25 tailpipes turned down towards the ground inside both rear fenders.
    A little loud but I wouldnt change a thing.
    No obnoxous drone.

15. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

IMG_0007[973].jpg IMG_1057[2301].jpg IMG_1059[2303].jpg IMG_1058[2302].jpg Pipes go all the way to the back!!

LBCD likes this.
  16. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks Rick!

17. LBCD

LBCD

Yea, the exhaust was thrown together around 10 years ago and the guy I used was next to my work and probably not the best, but when I get the ram horns on there this guy I am using should be better. Just wondering why you said the exhaust doesn't look right? I need to know this stuff cause I hope this is the last time this car will be in a muffler shop for a long time!

Also...a while back I was told to mount the super turbos up under the back seat and then instead of routing the tail pipes up over the axle and out...I was told to continue under the axle with an X pipe then out to the rear. Thoughts on this?
    thanks guys...

18. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

WTF!! X pipe, super turbos, your driving an old Ford right?? Hot Rod, Street Rod, not a HellCat or a Z06!! My exhaust follows the same path that Henry followed, between the bottom of the frame and the floor, through the oblong holes in the frame and over the rear axel, along side of the fuel tank and out the back, if you have tube shocks in the back your exhaust guy will have to make a slight bend around them but any Shop that knows what there doing will make it work! Stick with the Smittys, you'll be happy!

LBCD likes this.
  19. LBCD

LBCD

That is how mine is routed, through the oblong holes over the axle....looking into Helmholtz resonators if I don’t fix it with cast iron manifolds and placing the mufflers farther back.

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Occam's Razor theory has me thinking...was your wife in the car by chance when the droning occurred?

LBCD likes this.
  21. LBCD

LBCD

Nope, the wife has not been in the car since putting the Smithy's on...but my boy gave me the look driving down the road right after the install, he said....WTF, this is supposed to be drone free? It makes your ears ring for a while after going for a 15 minute drive.

22. LBCD

LBCD

I’m following up what was done to help tame the drone.
    First thing I did was change out the headers for ram horns and drove it over to my exhaust guy, that was fun, no drone but loud as hell! He connected the ram horns to new pipe and added 2 ea 22” resonators out back with tail pipes 2” past the bumper and it is so much better. The tone is still present but not that head cracking drone that was there before. Thanks for the input guys, I’m happy with the Smithy’s and glad I didn’t go with the turbos.

23. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

AMEN!

LBCD likes this.
  24. gwhizz

gwhizz

Sorry for being off topic, but I'm building a sbf powered 47 Ford sedan and am curious about your frame x member. Did you modify it your self or did you buy a kit? Thanks.

25. LBCD

LBCD

I had a builder do all the fab work, I don't believe it is a kit and looks really basic. Hope this helps.

26. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

27. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

This is a simple fix but I'm sure this advise will create the usual disagreements.
    I bought Smitty's many years ago thinking that it's an old-school name that's been around a long time and should have a perforated core but to my surprise it at the stupid stamped louver core and contrary to what anybody thinks the louvered core is a power Robbing gas sucking piece of crap. It's not the headers causing the drone it's the placement of the muffler. I like the short dumps ahead of the axle but that too is a cause of drone.
    So here is my suggestion.
    First sell the Glasspaks and either use the reverse flow walkers or if you can I really like the Hooker Aero chamber mufflers. I got a pair free and put them on my truck that has fenderwell headers and I love the sound .They don't drone and have a great sound that's different from a glass Pak or Flowmaster . The Secret is a crossover H pipe that I see you already have .Thhe most important is to move the mufflers back as as possible Just ahead of the rear end with the tail pipes exiting behind the axel or even better is mounting them all the way behind the rear end if possible. Also the smaller the pipe the louder it is so go with a 21/2" exhaust if possible. .
    I don't know what size you have now but if its smaller you can step it up to the larger size.
    One final note on headers. Free flow tube headers improve power and best of all gas economy and with gas getting ridiculous in price per gallon I think it's foolish not to run them. Tri-Y headers are best for street. And as far as the dreaded drone being caused by the headers this is not true. Its the pipe size , muffler location and type of muffler that determines the sound.
    I will agree that the ram horns are good and on a early car they look correct and work great but it's all in your choices on the rest of the exhaust if it will have the obnoxious drone.

LBCD likes this.
  28. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks for the heads up! I will be monitoring gas milage and if I see a big difference (it is nearly $4 a gal here) then I will be looking into the Walker #21314 quiet flow direct OE replacement for the 57 chevy and I believe they are reverse flow. The Smithy's are 30'' long and the casing on the Walker is 27'' long.