Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Street Rodder Mag Jan 18

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mdcolby, Nov 5, 2017.

1. mdcolby

mdcolby

Street Rodder Magazine seems to be getting a lot better! Just got the January 2018 in the mail and it is great!

2. JimSibley

JimSibley

Well, it could only go up.

3. I do honestly think they are trying to at least in some way fill the void left behind when R&C folded again.

4. Back in the day it was a pretty good magazine as was Rod Action and Rod & Custom.

The Rodders Digest and Tex Smiths Hot Rod Mechanix were also good titles

The only magazine subscription I have now is Rodder Journal,and it's lifetime. HRP

5. I'm getting Rodders journal and Hot rod deluxe. Enjoy them both.

6. Hendee

Hendee

What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

You mean there are some cars between the ads?

Ron Funkhouser and mdcolby like this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

I don't do any/none magazines anymore.
    Too much great stuff of the wide world of web.......like here! :)

9. ironrodder

ironrodder

Stopped Street Rodder when the ad pages outnumbered the car pages. Since Rod and Custom left I only get Vintage Trucks.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. And it don't take up much space, but it's harder to drop a magazine into the toilet, than your phone.....

11. swifty

swifty

I bought the Dec issue ($7) in NY to read on the flight from NY to Oz and I'd read it all halfway across the US. I got sick of reading 1/3 strip tech articles while the other 2/3 of each page was ads. I consider hot rods to be pre-48 and there were only 2 rods featured plus the tech article on Pat Ganahl's mor-door in all of the 140 pages. I never buy the mag here as it's A$15 on the news-stand but consider it is not even worth getting at their super low subscription price.

kiwijeff and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. ..once you have a magazine, you have it as long as you keep it;...stuff on the web seems to disappear after awhile.
    ...I've always had a fascination with hot rod type magazines since I was a kid,..still very much look forward to getting a new issue,...I consider it $ well spent.

13. My kids have always got me subscriptions, and still do. I'm to cheap to buy them myself.:rolleyes: It is more fun to get the mail, plus like rusty1 says, you will always have them. I used to have them hard bound by year. But I do like the H.A.M.B. better.;) Ron...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    kiwijeff, jnaki and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. I've got lots of print magazines that I started collecting in the early 1960's (Hot-Rod, Car Craft, Motor Trend, etc.) that I enjoy going back through on occasions. Love the HAMB/ Jalopy Journal but I only go back 10 years on here.:D

15. low down A

low down A

I recently subscribed because of the special 1 yr for 12 dollars. at one dollar a issue I still think it's a waste of good paper, thumb thru it and can't find a single thing to read. rod and custom was a much better mag

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

A great one to read that has vintage cars great stories and very few ads is Hop Up. Its more like a coffee table book than a magazine.

lurker mick likes this.
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, Street Rodder sucks. Until your car shows up in an issue.:rolleyes:

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The best I could ever hope for would be in the background.

pitman likes this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`d be happy to be at an event they actually cover.

20. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used to buy every issue of almost every rod magazine, but haven't bought one in years now. I call it Street Rodder Catalog.

21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Virtually impossible for a publication to be supported only by subscribers and off the rack purchases.
    I seem to recall Rodder’s Journal stating in their early issues they hoped to publish without
    advertising, how did that work out? :rolleyes:
    The ads pay the bills.

22. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Actually the Jan. 2018 issue is pretty good. Was Brian Brennan on vacation for that issue?

The Jeff Eischen modified is really a killer hot rod. Seems like another Ohio hot rodder is stepping up and building some very nice hot rods!

Picture is from the hot rod network website......don't think they could set up a more user unfriendly website.

23. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I still like to read the magazines. Miss R&C, Rodders Digest to name a few. I prefer to read the magazine and check out the web. Looks like magazines vs the web is like our cars. We all have our favorites.

i.rant likes this.
  24. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I could add another "I have not seen the issue, but it sucks" post, but I'm looking forward to getting SRM again.
    I let my subscription expire and I miss it.
    Something about holding a magazine in your hand and flipping through the pages...

i.rant likes this.
  25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This was by far and away my favorite car from the last issue (pix from 2017 NSRA nats / Street Rodder). I haven't seen it in person yet, but it's not far away from me in Florida and I'm working hard to track down the owner and ask for a visit. Gary
    nsra-nats-painless-performance-outdoor-top-100-01.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017