Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dealing on the HAMB Ettiquote

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Peelout30, Nov 5, 2017.

1. "I'll Gladly Pay You Tuesday for a Hamburger Today"

~Wimpy

Chavezk21, XXL__, 49ratfink and 5 others like this.
  2. BJR

BJR

Also 87% of all facts quoted are made up on the spot.

3. David Ault

David Ault

4. David Ault

David Ault

I'm new here myself, when I noticed the title on your post it intrigued me to get nosy and check it out. We must rule out the possibility that this site could ever possibly cause damage to any member of it or a guest viewing it, taking into consideration that it is made up of individuals and all have individual priorities. Some are self centered and inconsiderate of others, some are genorous and considerate of others needs and attempt to help fellow man . Your so called buyer seems to fit the first description. We all have encountered similar situations I,m sure. At least, you can be happy that time is all you lost . Good luck with your next encounter!

Atwater Mike, Hnstray and pat59 like this.
  5. Like/admit it or not, we as members of the HAMB have a shared relationship with one another thru our love of cars.
    With that we have come to accept, even expect the type of brotherhood that say hunters/fishermen/alcoholics/fitness fanatics, etc. share.
    Naturally, when "one of our own" shits on us, it is more of a blow, then another typical EBay/CL misdealing seller or buyer.

6. zzford

zzford

"It ain't sold until it's sold" I can't tell you how many have said "could you hold it for me", to not follow through. Now, it goes to whoever presses the cash into my hand first.

Old wolf and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cash and carry is how I buy and how I sell. when I can take a promise to the store and buy a loaf of bread with it, then a promise will mean something. NOTHING is ever sold until you have the money in hand and the item is gone. I've had people even pay for items and never come back. had to sell it again.

Budget36, JB_roadrage and Old wolf like this.
  8. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In my way of thinking, and doing things, that is not sufficient reason to disregard one’s verbal agreement to sell to the first party for the agreed price. I have been in that situation as a Seller, had a commitment from a buyer, two hours away, when a local prior caller who had told me I wanted too much for the item, called back and said he would take it now. I informed him it was spoken for and he offered me more $. Told him I would not, could not, do that. I would expect no less from a Seller if I was on my way.

Ray

pat59, 31ster, 48fordnut and 10 others like this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely, I tell them that I will hold it for them for the time necessary for them to come pick it up and then tell other interested parties that if the first person doesn't pick it up by such a time that it will be for sale and they then have the opportunity to buy it!

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I feel real sorry for you if you feel that half the people you meet are assholes!

12. Just last week an individual here was helping to sell a vehicle and when I contacted the seller he told me his address and I made arrangements to see the vehicle over the weekend, if he didn't sell it to another gentleman first that had already made arrangements to see it. I was fine with that and the member here also contacted me and we talked about the seller who was; elderly, has had a few strokes but was a stand up man. Both the seller and member contacted me and told me that the vehicle had been sold. What more can you ask for? Both are stand up individuals and did what they said they would. Am I mad they sold the car? No. I really wanted it but was not the first promised so you have to wait your turn. Every member that I have came into contact here with has been a pleasure dealing with.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^I completely agree with you, based on the circumstances you describe. All parties were in in the discussion and agreed with the terms. No harm, no foul.

Ray

warhorseracing and upspirate like this.
  14. What wraymen said!!!!!!!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^This - what Ray said^^^^

I don't know why this is so friggin' hard for some people. Over the years, on a number of different occasions I have made arrangements to drive some distance to buy something. In each of these situations I have made all of the necessary arrangements, gotten the seller's address or directions to their location, gotten the cash, trailer, or whatever I've needed, etc., etc only to have the assholes tell me they sold it out from under me to someone else after we had a deal made.

While that is really frustrating what is even more frustrating is the number of idiots that condone that sort of unethical behavior. You can still run into folks that have integrity, that will do what they say they will do, and that will honor an agreement. However, it seems that they are getting harder and harder to find.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  16. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

The world needs more people with integrity!

When I bought my Airstream, I drove 2 hours to look at it. The seller, a nice older gentleman, spent 2 hours going over the trailer with me and showing me everything that worked and everything that didn't. He really loved the trailer so I made what I thought was a very fair offer, not too much off his asking price. He didn't really respond to the offer and continued to talk about the trailer. Eventually I asked him if he wanted to sell it, and he replied that there were 2 weeks left before school started and he wanted to take his granddaughters camping one more time.
    I said of course you can have one more trip and my offer was good for two weeks and we shook hands.
    He sold me the trailer a week later for what I offered and said he had turned down several offers more than mine, but that we had made a deal and he kept his word.
    This is how business should be done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Someone once told me that ''Buyers are liars'' and to be cautious always. He he.

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in the process of selling a Merc flathead and O/D trans. Had several inquires but only one person came through and said I'll take it. He had to arrange for transportation but I told him it was his and removed the adds I had posted. I told him I didn't need a deposit but he insisted anyway, I guess just to give him some insurance. We're still working on delivery but the bottom line is he gave me his word that he wanted it and I gave him my word that it was his. End of story. I might get burned in the future with something I'm selling but up to this point I haven't had any issues with any of my transactions here and or on the Barn. Traditional hot rods and traditional hand shakes being all you need to close the deal.

48fordnut and Thor1 like this.
  19. Once upon a time folks said what they would do and did what they said they would. Then along came the internet..... It used to be, at least in the state where I reside, a hand shake agreement was a binding contract in court. But with selling and buying at long distances these days, no one looks the other fellow in the eye and shakes hands anymore. I don't have an answer or a cure but I do think it's a shame and we are lesser for it.

I'm of two minds about it, I guess. I respect the HAMBers who stuck by what they promise and have been ill used because of it. But at the same time, I understand why others feel they have to take a tougher stance (as long as they are clear from the beginning about it). It's a tough world and it's not getting any easier. It's scary to give up control of a deal without having a grip on their short-n-curlies.

In real estate they say "everything is negotiable". It's possible for you to pay someone for an Option To Buy, where you pay an agreed amount for the privilege to buy later (first right of refusal) at an agreed time and price. At the end of the agreed time, IF you buy, the option money you paid is applied to the purchase.... but if you, as a buyer, can't or won't buy, the seller keeps the option money and it's not returned. (It's not common but a second option could be purchased to roll the deadline and price to a later date.) The point is, both parties agree on the terms and on the consequences of following through or not. This works with real property because the option is recorded at the county and the property can't be sold while the option is still in effect. There's no practical way to do this with cars and parts so we're right back to keeping your word.

20. Maybe he is just height challenged;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    kiwijeff, Budget36, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Handshake deals are said to still exist in Texas...and in my experience with Texas and Texans I believe it to be true.
    But, I'm stuck in California (until young wife retires! Three years and counting!)

22. Breaking my own rule and posting negativity, but Paypal is a seller's enemy. 31Vicky's idea of using it for only the deposit is a low risk.

23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I agree....

24. Its called being good to your word. Some folks live by a code and stand by their word. Sadly many folks do not.

25. verde742

verde742

WHY are there more horses ass's than are there horses??

First thing I ask is 'where are you located? " If they stumble on that I am alerted they are probably incarcerated...

I tell first person that wants it " I will leave the ad up and keep a list in order of continued callers.. Please take non-refundable funds to my bank or Credit Union and call me from there..."

26. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Don't feel sorry for me it would be a waist, save your sympathy for another. I am Happy with some Me. When someone say's hey I'd like to have that but I'm 6 hours away, of course I'll do the Gentlemen Agreement and Hold for weekend. But if you think I'm going to chase you around for a Month call and Texting you, you are telling me your Time is worth more than Mine. And far as 1/2 the people I meet are assholes, only and Asshole would ask you to hold something for a Month.

27. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

There's a difference between that and keeping an item on layaway for a month while some guy tries to come up with the money. If someone's on their way or will be stopping by to take a look, I give them first dibs. If they don't show up, I move on. I don't hold things back while they get their crap together, and don't take deposits because I'm not a business.

28. Materguru

Materguru

should have moved on after the first time of not doing what he said he would do. This IS a not rules, free site after all. I think we all prefer that..as far as ratting him out?... i would want to but probably wouldn't. It to me just shows your the bigger guy.."A mans got to have a creed ... a motto to live by" JW... good luck

48fordnut likes this.
  29. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

A man's only as good as his word.. and lets face it, not every mans word is worth a shit.. It's sad, but it's true..

Chiss and 48fordnut like this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

And then 1/2 the people he meets thinks....

lothiandon1940 likes this.