Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What S.B. Chev. Is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Ault, Nov 6, 2017.

1. David Ault

David Ault

I,m new to this site , the reason being is, if you have tech questions that you need answers for, there is no better place to be than associated with a group of knucklebustin hot rodders and general car fanatics. I, after hours of surfing the www, can not find info to identify this SB Chev. ,any further than the date of manufacturers, and the plant it was built at and that it is a crate engine. I know the casting numbers under the distributor will fill the bill, but was hoping to identify from the stampings. V0209FSS. and CE3324845. If any of you fellers can decode and advice it sure will be appreciated. Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

1984 Chevy truck engine, from the partial VIN.

I don't see the FSS code anywhere, but there are two possible reasons why. First, you misread it. The stamps are sometimes hard to see. Second, no one put the truck codes for that year on the internet.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. David Ault

David Ault

I,ll triple check that stamping again
    Here's something interesting I,ll share. Awhile back I aquired a 327 engine that was definitely pre 68 that the original owner told me was a dealer supplied replacement short block for his 1964 Chev dump truck. The stamped numbers indicated that it was , and I don't remember the cubic inch now, but I,m going to say that it was the common engine used in buses and gas powered heavy trucks , the one GM punched out to a 396 later on, incorrectly stamped by the manufacturer. So I do know this happens . Well thanks for your help, now I know it is a 1984 truck engine. We're you able to determine the displacement?

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You might be referring to the 366 cu in truck engine. Looks like a 396, but was truck only.

Ray

5. squirrel

squirrel

The partial VIN tells us the division (C=Chevy truck), and the year (E=1984) but that's all.

The suffix will tell us the displacement. I have truck books up to about 1977, but nothing newer. not much interest in them on the internet, either, since they're "late model" truck engines, and there are lots of codes.

The block casting number will tell you what size it is. And look on the side of the block, near the motor mounts, it might say 5.7 or 5.0 or something, that is the displacement in liters

6. David Ault

David Ault

Ok great, thanks for that
    And yes, 366 c.i. is what was within the mistakenly stamped code on that early 327. I know where that engine still is. I wonder if that makes that a collector item.

joel likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would say no, as it's a tall block truck engine. It isn't an engine that you would normally stick in hot rod due to the fact the intakes for the car big blocks don't fit them. Good for a stump pulling rig though as they had pretty serous torque.

8. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

FSS Suffix code shows to be either:
    84 truck 350 ci 160hp with 700R4 4bbl VIN K 20series 30series
    94 truck 350 ci 210hp manual trans TBI 20series 30series P body California

OF course, if someone is selling it, it is a Corvette motor.

Moriarity, Tim, squirrel and 2 others like this.
  9. David Ault

David Ault

I agree completely, but what I was speaking of is a (definitely is) early 60,s 327. that had been stamped in error with all the correct numbers for a 366 bus or truck engine.

10. David Ault

David Ault

Thanks Mike, for the decode
    That's all I need to know for now, until something major goes wrong, then I,ll get at the block casting to surely identify it. And yes , lol, he didn't,t claim it to be Vette, but did, original installed factory 327. . Maybe he really believed it is.

11. squirrel

squirrel

with bolt holes on the ends of the heads?

Moriarity likes this.
  12. Ft.ValloniaStreaker

Ft.ValloniaStreaker

How about a picture....... That would help a lot! And eliminate a lot of guessing .

13. David Ault

David Ault

He, meaning my seller, me being the purchacer, must have believed his seller when he purchaced it, before selling it to me, that his 63 Impala had the original factory 327 in it. He,s very young , born and raised in N.YC. I knew the instant I laid eyes on it that it wasn't what he thinks it is. For now, I,ll be satisfied with the knowledge gained from you fellas that replied, I basically only wanted to know if it was a350 or a 305, which, if it was the latter, I,d know that I,ve just aquired a new boat anchor:)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  14. David Ault

David Ault