Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T - had a baby - 2 mos EARLY!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Broman, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Had a big reality check last Wednesday.

The wifey got rushed to the hospital after a routine check-up. We were forced to have an emergency C-Section at the 31 week mark (40 weeks = full term). That's 2 months early if your doing the math.

Wow - scary. Almost lost mom - Almost lost baby - Almost lost my friggin' mind.

Fortunately the University Of Iowa - Prenatal Intensive Care Unit is one of the best in the lower 48.

Thank goodness for that. I don't know how i'd have picked things up if I lost Mom (and unborn babe) - and had to raise a 3 year old alone. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that.

My hats off and my everlasting gratitude to the students and the Doctors that turned things around.

Take a big deep breath of life next time you get up from the monitor - this is what it's all about boys.....

Attached Files:

2. Nik

Nik

Glad to hear everyone's O.K.. There's nothing scarier than a complicated pregnancy and not being able to do anything other than pace the floors and hold Momma's hand.

Take care,
    Nik

3. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Ohh yea, BTW - that was 2 lbs 03 oz

Talk about a surreal experience.

And I thought my first daughter (the pink bubble blowing diva) was little at 3 lbs 11 oz.

....I think we're done pressing our luck with babies.

She looks so helpless with her little mask on (she had to be put under a bright light to gaurd from Jaundice).

And in case you were wondering - she's doing well now and so is mom. In fact mom was discharged and baby is jumping hurdles by the hour.....

Attached Files:

4. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Thanks Nik,

I appreciate the sentimate.

I'm off to catch up on some sleep.....while i still can...

5. THECHICK

THECHICK

Glad everyone is doing OK. I was 2 months early when I was born - its scary and the best time of your life all at the same time.

Good luck- keep us posted on the little bugger.

6. Congrat's on the new addition to the growing family..................good to hear there was a happy ending and everyone is fine!! :)

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

Congrats !!!! Glad to hear everyone encluding you are doing better.

8. 53Chebby

53Chebby

Glad to hear everyone is OK. If there is anything you need let us know. Maybe some of us Iowa HAMBers can help out.

Josh

9. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

Damn!! That is really scary... Especially since my wife is also due in 2 months!!! I am glad to hear everyone is doing well. Your guys are in good hands at the U of I.

10. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

wow, she's a tiny little thing... better to have her small then having her not there, right??? hey, maybe once she starts working on the hot-rods with ya' she'll have a little easier time gettin' in some of those cracks, eh???

my wishes to you, and you're newborn, and wife all to recover quickly from this wake-up call... may you and your wife further your age and wiseness and may your newest, and you're 3-yr. old daughter grow up healthy, wealthy, and wise...

wow, that sounded corny, but, i mean it!:D

troy.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My gorgeous daughter, Frankie, was born at 33 weeks. She spent the 1st 3 weeks of her life in the NICU. Fortunately, she was at Hurley, the best NICU in the state and one of the best in the nation.
    I'm glad to hear Momma and Baby are both fine. I know from experience how anxious this type of situation is.

12. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

good to hear
    its tuff enough when the pregnancy runs smoothly
    if it were me in your shoes id be in a hospital bed myself after a situation like that

13. Congratulations and I am sorry ya'll had to go through that. It is awesome what they can do in the hospitals these days. We had to go through the Billy Light ordeal for about 24 hrs. I have a pair of those foam goggles!

Good luck and congrats again.

14. New babies rock.

Glad everyone's OK.

JH

15. Awwww. She's beautiful. (And nice and pink. The lungs must be good considering the early birth). That is one of the benefits of the Caesarian. Babies don't get smooshed in the struggle to get out.
    Hard to believe that something so tiny and dependant will someday have you wrapped around her finger.

Nice going Pop but I never got a cigar when your other girl was born. Send me two this time, would you?:D

16. Our twin sons were 6 weeks early, after they had my wife stand on her head for a couple weeks.:rolleyes: The boys will be 17 next month, and areright at 6' tall already, and their health is great. Modern medicine, especially the preemie units, rock. Congratulations, man.:D

17. Otto

Otto

Our Daughter couldn't wait either. She came into the world 2 months early. Scared the heck out of us. She had to stay the 1st two weeks in the hospital.....but then came home and all was good. She is now 4 years old, smart as a whip and the tallest kid at day care of kids her age.

Good luck with yours. She will be driving you crazy in no time.

18. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Glad to hear that everyone is doing fine. Sounds like she was just in a hurry to see mom and dad. She'll be sweet 16 before you know it. They grow up really fast.
    Doc.

19. RagDoll

RagDoll

Welcome to the world little lady! I am glad she and mom are doing good. My thoughts are with them as they recover! Congrats Papa!

20. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Sounds like it's all good. Amazing stuff they can do now.

2.5 years ago, ours came out at 28wks (1lb 7oz). Mom and baby both in good shape after 3 weeks of 180+ blood pressure. Probably took 4 months to get her back to normal.

The hardest part was when we lost our 24 hour professional care the day she came home:D . You already have one, so that should be no big deal.

Best piece of advice was from her first doc "There's a lot of things to worry about with preemies and their health issues. Don't worry about the things that might happen. Focus on what is happening."

21. Scotch

Scotch

What? You mean some of YOUR work got done EARLY??

Seriously- Congrats and all my very best wishes and congratulations. These are the very best of times.

"Take a big deep breath of life...."

....and hold it to get a really good hit.

Kiss your wife and beautiful daughters every day.

~Scotch~

22. Bugman

Bugman

Congradulations on your new daughter, and I'm glad to hear everyone's doing ok :)

23. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Hey, wow - thanks everyone.

I wasn't expecting much response to this. Mostly wanted to spread the word about Preclampsia - if'n you got a woman in your life who is showing signs - get her to the doc!!!

Thanks a bunch everyone. I am just popping in for sec. I am running around all day it seems. My replies are going to be few.

24. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

glad to hear every ones ok now i now what its like... kinda my lil brothers twins where born 3 months premature 1lb 12oz 1lb 13 oz. I cant begin to fathem what its like to be that parent of a child, childern that small and young. I give you and my parents props for being so brave and dealing with what life gives you. Hope every thing continues to go well.