Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tornados suck! I'll take earthquakes anytime!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

OK: so build underground. Not exactly new technology. Personally I believe you could build a concrete home reinforced with steel & anchorded deep into the ground that would withstand just about anything short of an atom bomb.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Hey old man, have you lived here all your life?
    "Nope - not yet."

2. 49 Fleetline

49 Fleetline
    from NorCal

i know ALL about the tornado scene im living in south dakota we get only a handfull a year but they usually do quite a bit of damage, a few years ago the city of spencer south dakota was completely demolished, only a few houses stood and a single bank vault in the middle of it all, was horrible that really bits about that dudes t's, but hot rodders live on:cool:

3. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

Thats why I like NH. No earthquakes, tornados, wild fires, Hurricanes, poisonous snakes, alligators, creepy big lizards... Although a guy did get attacked by a deer a couple years ago.

Sure it gets cold but thats just more of an excuse to get out in the garage to get something done!

4. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Like an unwanted guest, they're back. Comin to a trailer park near you...:eek:

Attached Files:

5. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

WTF? Where's my computer hammer?

6. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

I didn't see any tornados this evening, but the sirens were going off and I did get a couple of decent pics and some great video showing the clouds rolling thru Tulsa. I've gotta upload 'em to my web site, along with the lightening pics I've taken before. I'll post a link later.

7. Wolfie

Wolfie

I've lived in Arkansas and California for many years and have experienced both tornados and earthquakes! Now I live in Arizona and LOVE the heat!!! It don't blow the house away and it don't shake the ground! The only time nowadays that I get to feel the earth tremble and the tremendous air movement is if I go to the drags at Firebird Raceway when the fuelers are running! Yes, I sleep very well after a few cold ones, thank you!

Wolfie

8. Slate

Slate

Want to give the middle finger to tornados, hurricanes, fires, earthquakes? Build one of these:

www.monolithic.com or for a gorgeous survivor of Ivan and Katrina:
    www.domeofahome.com

There are examples of these domes surviving each of the aforementioned events (tormados just pass over, several examples along the gulf coast vs hurricanes, one survived those recent Texas wildfires while 5 nearby homes burned; and if you build the dome on top of the right ground prep, like an upside dome below grade, it "floats" in the soil while the quake hits).

9. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

creepy skies at my house earlier. post a link wolfie. I love weather. Sis in jenks said it was cool storm.

10. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

It was me, not wolfie that has the pics. I've got a few albums uploaded at http://triumphchoppers.com/gallery/album60

All pics except one were taken by me. I'm working on the video, it's an avi and my web site won't handle 'em. If I can get it uploaded, I'll post another link.

11. We Miseryuns are due for the big earthquake down in New Maderen.
    I kind of like tornados, I've seen 6 of them. Growing up in the mid-west you just get used to it.:p

12. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I saw two hanging from the sky tonight. Very cool, the sun was setting just behind a pair near el reno. Sorry guys no pics I wish I had my camera. Closed the shop picked up a six pack and went to the house. Cooked up some brats and watched untill the rain and hail came. Golf ball size hail is lots of fun.

13. Dirk35

Dirk35

They are fun to watch and Unless your actually in the path, beer always makes them even more fun to chase. Now, an earthquake..........no getting away from those sneak attacking bastards!

My wife always freaks out and made us go to the neighbors shelter last night when the power went out and the last she heard was warnings for Stillwater to seek shelter. But nothign came of them, just a few missplaced peices of tin roof and a stir in the wheat fields.

14. landstander

landstander
    from kansas

those wild fires in texas where bad. high winds, a drought, and a ton of open prairie. i have relatives in miami tx and they had to leave their house. the house was fine but they lost quite a few cattle. does any one know the number of square miles that were burnt?

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Earthquake anyday. I have been through a few. No tornados please.

16. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Some folks think tornadoes just dangle from the sky all the time in the midwest. Ain't so! Been here 58 years and have never seen one! In general, most folks I know have never seen one, quite a few have seen one or two in a lifetime. I have seen the destruction, it is amazing. Once I saw a house that had the side ripped off, the kitchen was wide open, and the moring cereal was still on the table, the box standing upright, spoons in the bowls, milk out, etc. Tornadoes hit very small spots. Earthquakes are usually no big deal, been in a lot in Japan. When big, they shame tornadoes. Hurricans....one word. Rita. Been in some of those, small ones are just a lot of wind. I think hurricanes cause the most woe and destruction.

17. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Some folks think tornadoes just dangle from the sky all the time in the midwest. Ain't so! Been here 58 years and have never seen one! In general, most folks I know have never seen one, quite a few have seen one or two in a lifetime. I have seen the destruction, it is amazing. Once I saw a house that had the side ripped off, the kitchen was wide open, and the moring cereal was still on the table, the box standing upright, spoons in the bowls, milk out, etc. Tornadoes hit very small spots. Earthquakes are usually no big deal, been in a lot in Japan. When big, they shame tornadoes. Hurricans....one word. Rita. Been in some of those, small ones are just a lot of wind. I think hurricanes cause the most woe and destruction.

Hail----just got hit, bigger than golfballs, some baseball, and two softball sized stones. What a disaster! $50,000 damage to house, 6 cars out with no comprehensive insurance, the only one that didn't get hurt was the '50 Ford truck, the steel was too thick!

18. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I remember a few years back when an F5 removed Jarrell texas from the map.

I was painting a house high up on a hill outside of round rock and it looked like the whole sky was touching the ground.
    we had to drive through Jarrell a few days later and there was nothing there except concrete slabs. no asphalt,no "rubble", no grass, and what bits of trees were left were little more than twigs sticking out of the ground.

it gave a whole new meaning to "wiped off the map"-bulldozers do not do as effective of a job. the dirt was smooth. just kinda "rippled". it was beyond eerie. one lady showed us where her house stood, all that was left was the kitchen and one bathroom-every plate,cup,bowl and glass was still in the pantry,filled with water with the doors still on and closed. the rest of the house was in THE NEXT COUNTY!!!

19. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I don't suppose English grey skies and almost continual rain count as 'natures power' do they? :)

What I can't work out is why does anybody ever settle in an area that they know will likely destroy there house every couple of years, such as tornado ally? :(

20. extremist

extremist

I was driving home from work when that tornado hit Jarrell, I lived a couple miles south of the 620/183 intersection. The sky was pistachio green and darkening. Everyone was freaking out, people were huddled under all the 183 overpass bridges. I took a right turn on Technology drive, a spooked deer ran in front of my car, and a block later a gust of wind came through my window, and it was about 20 degrees cooler.
    I think it was about 15 minutes later that a tornado cut an Albertsons in half, in Cedar Park about 5 miles from my house.

Scary shit. Spring weather in central Texas is some of the most violent in the world.

21. extremist

extremist

Here's a picture shot from my old house near Lake Travis in 2002. Late afternoon. It was nighttime dark and biblical about 10 minutes later.

np_clouds.jpg

22. sodas38

sodas38

"What I can't work out is why does anybody ever settle in an area that they know will likely destroy there house every couple of years, such as tornado ally?"

Cheap Real Estate. :)

I have lived in Minnesota, Missouri and Kansas. They all have Tornados and believe it or not Minnesota gets just about as many as the other two states. I have yet to see one though in any state.

I think New Mexico and Arizona might be as void of pure Mother Nature disasters as any state (except heat).

23. ryno

ryno

i'm also a california transplant.simi valley.i have been in a few great earthquakes.have only been in mo for 8 months and have had a few watches so far.it's a toss up which is better.toronado with a few hours of warnings and a safe place (underground) to go to or a earth quake in the middle of the f in night when your ass is all snug in bed sleepin with a hard on dreamin about the stripper the night before (maybe a little to in depth) but ya get the point.i dont like either one.

24. As said earlier it's not an everyday thing. If you want to see one you have to go after them. Most don't hit populated areas. The hail is what I hate, it will damage your house and car. We also get high wind gust that do allot of damage. I like the mid-west, 2,200 sq-ft house $165,000 not to bad.

25. atch

atch

i've lived in missouri all my life except the time i was in the navy. that's 54 years. i've never seen a tornado. i've seen some of the damage, though. but it's really few and far between. i bet your odds of injury or property loss are worse while driving down I-70 at midnight than getting hit by a tornado.

i felt a really small earthquake in boot camp in san diego.

i'll take tornados every time. you can have earthquakes.

26. Castr8r

Castr8r
    Member Emeritus

Did ya'll know that by March, we already had more tornados than all the rest of the world will have in the next TEN years? The USA will get the 'benefit' of more severe hurricanes than any other country- ya, the Japanese get typhoons,which are just another name for hurricanes, but we'll have more and badder! I live in Illinois,and have experienced a number of minor 'quakes. Rain- try 6 inches in 20 minutes; streets weren't where you wanted a low rider! Three yrs. ago , we had three hundred year rains in in a month- two in the same week. Two years ago, a tornado went over the top of my house (big sand hill saved me) and rolled a mobile home half a mile away, killing a fine lady. It threw a big round hay bale through the power lines and roads were closed due to all the trees down.
    Some "experts" claim that Americans are so tough as a group because our 'routine' exposure to natural disasters has hardened us to where we can face severe adversity more readily than most other peoples. So it ain't good, but it ain't all bad, either...

27. TxRat

TxRat

Rita kicked in our nuts but are about 95% complete on repairs. just in time for the new season. :(

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

my family and i went threw the flood of 93..lost our house.. now the old girl is just two storys of storage...then we put in a small trailer beside it [ kinda like the little tv on top of the big tv thing:D ] my wife was very pregnant in 99 when one went right through the woods behind the house... tore the side of the shed off and made a mess. i had to drag my wife across the yard and into the old house ahen it got bad... got o scar on my leg from wakin it on a 64 impala bumper that was on the back porch.... before the kids, tornados never bothered me..now i freek at watches cuase of the kids and no basement.. itook this pic at our resturant a couple years ago.. the tornado was about 2 mile away from this pic...breeder:) i took the second pic the day i had to drag the wife across the yard..blow it up and check out the middle of the pic..the cloud looks like ol man winter blowin this storm!!and no ..im not on drugs..everyone see's it in person..dont know if ya can after i shrink it..let me know if ya can ...the one with the red shed is just showin a very large thunder head...

Attached Files:

29. rodknocker

rodknocker

yeah, well one time i was in this tornado, i think it was a f12 or something and it blew the crap out of all the ones you guys have been in, then it started to hail bowling ball size stones, and to top it off 3 minutes later we had an earthquake that was like a 23 on the thingy scale and the ground opened up and swallowed all of the hail and debris so we didn't have to clean it up.

30. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

man ur lucky to be alive!!:eek::D you forgot the part about the acid and mushrooms:D :D