Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical i beam alignment question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wick22, Nov 5, 2017.

1. wick22

wick22

I have a 57 chevy truck and the wheelbase is 1/2in shorter on pass side and I looked and I beam is a 1/2in back on rf

is there sometimes two alignment holes on top of I beam and the wrong hole got used or is this normal?

2. No. Axle is slightly bent on one end.......but it can be fixed.

3. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

A good TRUCK alignment shop should have the equipment to bend the axle back where it belongs .

4. Joe H

Joe H

It could have sheered the center pin on the leaf springs from a pot hole hit something similar. Take the weight off the front and loosen the u-bolts to see if the pin is still there.

Another possibility is the spring is installed backwards and the center pin just happens to be offset.

Mr48chev likes this.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Look at the shackles are they at the same angle?

6. wick22

wick22

pulled rf leaf spring apart and leaf spring pin is shaped like a lightning bolt lol...kinda S shaped

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should be a big part of your problem. I'd think reworking both springs at this time would be a good idea.

8. wick22

wick22

I planned on replacing leaf spring pins in both sides,u bolts,shackles and leaf spring bushings

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sounds like you have a project now. I would think the U bolts would not have to be replaced unless they are bent or the threads are chewed up.