Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Plymouth Business Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340 Power, Nov 13, 2014.

1. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I've wanted to keep that suspension since I started this project. They were definately ahead of their time with it.

Sent from my SM-S920L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I spent today giving my hemi a new coat of paint. I'll probably finish up the extras in black this week. The transmission is next. Then it's back on the frame for good. I'm also getting ready to install brake and fuel lines, as well as the original tank.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Very nice! Hobo Jim

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I believe my friend might have a Wieand 4bbl intake for that. Probably ran a WCFB as OE carb. PM if interested, I will give you his contact info.

oliver westlund likes this.
  5. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

They were ahead of Ford.

6. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

oliver westlund and biggeorge like this.
  7. Wow congrats Great Find! Hobo Jim

340 Power likes this.
  8. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I'm starting to see it now. I've been waiting a long time to put the motor and tranny in for the last time.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Boy the Hemi looks good in there! Now you can set up a chair and make motor noises when no ones around Ha Ha keep going this is looking Great! Hobo Jim

biggeorge, nightmoves and 340 Power like this.
  10. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great. I should have kept my original front suspension too and glade there's no chop. Well done.

11. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I'm real happy with leaving the suspension the same. However I did pull a couple leafs to soften it up. Even with a hemi in there it was stiff as a dump truck. It's a little better now. I'm also glad we scrapped the chop idea. I'm a ball cap wearer and even a couple inches would create problems. Besides that I built what should be a comfortable driving car I think. Why mess that up and ad all that extra work.

RMR&C and 31chevymike like this.
  12. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Finished the motor extras today. Wire covers aren't finished but I wanted to look at it awhile. Looked funny without them :)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Maybe I should cleanup the mess I've made the last few weeks.

31chevymike likes this.
  14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Man, almost 3 years since you started this thread and look where you are now... The obstacles that you clearly climbed over, because your Plymouth has no body parts that are reproduced and had to make your patch panels from scratch. I'm also dropping a HEMI, mine being the Chrysler 392, so it's another reason why I'm watching your build closely. And I'm really glad that you posted photos of your Vega box installation with cross steering. I'm going with the Vega box as well, wasn't sure where it was going - forward of the engine mount or before. Well done sir! 20170505_135457_001.jpg

15. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I honestly didn't realise it's been almost 3 years. There have been a few hurdles for sure. I've a long way to go but I can at least see the end in sight. The Vega box worked out real nice. Even sitting in the garage it's not too awful hard to turn the wheels. Should be real nice on the road. I'll be adding a steering stabiliser to complete it. That's a great looking hemi.

31chevymike likes this.
  16. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Thanks! It looks even better with a blower! The steering stabilizer is a very good idea, although I thought about too, I'm looking more into a front panhard bar. My batwings from Pete & Jakes has an extra mounting hole to install one of their panhard bar kits. I'll be starting my own thread soon enough! 165.jpg

17. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Any updates at all?

18. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Hasn't been alot going on. Finishing up work for the year and the whitetail rut is starting. Been in the woods. Lol!

I took my Chrysler heater to the generator shop. They went over it pretty good. Rewired it and included a resister so the fan runs properly instead of like a turbine engine.[​IMG][​IMG]

I'll now be devoting my time to finish out the body and paint it.[​IMG][​IMG]

19. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looking Great as usual! Gary:)

31chevymike likes this.
  20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

21. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Looks like you are coming along.....

31chevymike likes this.
  22. 31chevymike

31chevymike

That Chrysler heater is a real gem - is it possible to modify it to work as a defroster as well? Vintage Air might have accessories to do this.

biggeorge and loudbang like this.
  23. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

It has a knob on the front to pull so it blows out the top as a defroster. I imagine I'll even pipe it right up to the top of the dash. If you can see it in the pics, there is a square box on the side that blows up when the defrost valve is opened.

Sent from my SM-S920L using H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike, biggeorge and loudbang like this.
  24. 31chevymike

31chevymike

An all-in-one vintage unit - awesome! Body work is looking real good, you might be on the road by next spring/summer!

oliver westlund likes this.
  25. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I'm figuring as soon as the snow melts. My work is seasonal so I can spend long days in the garage this winter.

Sent from my SM-S920L using H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike likes this.
  26. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

Looks like either a 33 or 34. I have a couple 33 sedans and the cowl area and the doors look identical. looks like yours is on a custom frame though.

31chevymike likes this.
  27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I remember those long, 6 month snowy winters up in Long Island, NY... The great thing is with an ideal heater, you can spend quality time building an awesome hot rod! Me - I have sweat DRIPPING off my face within minutes practically year round.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and 340 Power like this.
  28. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Any updates? Just clicking on most of the threads I subscribed to.

29. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Should be posting a couple pics soon. I've been welding up the remaining holes in the firewall. Almost ready to go full bore on this thing. My honey-do list is almost complete :) Anyone else get stuck with those darn things???

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  30. 31chevymike

31chevymike

It's funny that you mentioned welding up the remaining holes in your firewall... Mine has so many that the prior owner thought it would be "cooler" inside the car. NOT!! Just brings in more heat from the small block! I'm cutting back mine anyway right to the cowl band, need room for the blower belt eventually.

nightmoves, 340 Power and loudbang like this.