Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which would you choose if you had to pick ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knghtcadi, Nov 1, 2017.

1. 41woodie

41woodie

I generally like 30's Mopars but for me that one requires a complete remake to be presentable. Not many fordors translate into great looking cars and this isn't one of them.

2. adam401

adam401

You'd have to be high to trade that merc for that sedan. The merc looks badass.

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Lord I'm crazy about a Mercury,...

With apologies to Steve Miller and David Lindley.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Did you do the restore or some one else? If not you there may be more to be fixed in a redo than you think.

6. gpohl6

gpohl6

Not to pile on, but...the Merc...and there is just no question for me, even though I like the older cars. The Merc is more "unique", even though there are far more hot rodded Fords of that vintage then Mopars. Still...the Merc...unless you just have to have that old taxi for reasons inexplicable to the majority of us.

Knghtcadi likes this.
  7. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

I do bodywork for a living and I know for a fact it all needs to be striped but no I didn't do the restore my plan was to restore one panel at a time. Striped , body worked and painted and move to the next since it's straight black there won't be a color changing issue

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

That actually made me laugh out loud. Lol but no I'm not losing sleep over the taxi I actually took the merc out tonight to a football game which helped steer me back on track to wanting to keep it longer

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff and Terrible80 like this.
  9. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

The Dodge got ruined.... I hope someone can save it and bring it back to being the Mopar it should be. Sigh

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

Run away from that trade very fast... The Merc is a much better car hands down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. chargin03

chargin03

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

13. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

The merc is a nice car. But on the down side it has had an engine down grade to a 302 and 3 speed auto when it could of been upgraded to a 312 or even a 292. The chev 6 is kind of cool in the 33. But a Chrysler 6 with multi carbs would more cool. The 3 speed auto is also a let down. A 4 speed or 5 speed manual would be much better with the six. The Dodge really needs lowering a lot to be real cool and an engine swap. The merc just needs mild lowering and an engine and trans up grade to a y-block or FE to be real cool. For my money I'd stay with the merc and upgrade the running gear on that.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

The best thing you could with your merc is upgrade the engine to a 292 or 312 y-block and 4 speed auto. Then lower it a few inches.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. KEEP the Merc.!!!Bruce.

16. A guy around here has that same dodge, but with a built early HEMI, 700r4 and in black. Was a cool car to work on, and definitely had a cool stance. Wish I took more pictures, but I just took a pic of a repair I did...

[​IMG]

Also put steel floors in it, etc. More to the point- you kind of have to be a dodge guy with those cars if you ever want an old original part.

Meanwhile, your merc is super cool. Love the paint. If it were a four door, I think the trade would be pretty ok- but you have a two door. If you just want a change of scenery, go for it, but I don’t know if the value is comparable.