Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Any other bmxers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick87, Apr 23, 2006.

1. patrick87

patrick87
    from brenham tx

I know there are alot of skateboarders on here. I was just wondering who else rides bmx here. Yea this has nothing to do with hotrods.:)

2. tred

tred

tuck and myself do/did...

3. 31hillard

31hillard

4. Nothing to do with rods, but it's come up before with no problems. A lot of us got into cars after building bikes and riding when we were younger.

I'm too old to have had a BMX bike, there was no such thing. I put straight bars and a 10-speed seat on a CCM Mustang (like a Schwinn Orange Crate) and did a lot of trail riding. Not too into tricks and stuff, but lotsa fun.

5. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Texas Hardcore did.

6. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

I raced for schwinn for a few years back when i was 15 and 16. Then i rode for Albes bike shop for a while. i mostley rode street and dirt but messed around in the parks a bit. Now when a little neighbor kid come by i just steal there bike and do a few tricks but they hurt to now haha

7. i do and i think p0rk still does.

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have it on good authority that Ryan Nyquist is a lurker.

9. bcarlson

bcarlson

Yep, used to dirt jump, and ride street last century, started on a Dyno, and the got a Standard Lengthy... all chrome. Loved it. Then I crashed, and pretty much tore my foot off... after that I just did flatland... good 'ol days... ;)

Ben

10. TxRat

TxRat

old bmx'r here. got shot knees to prove it

11. yep, team diamond back!
    raced along time ago.
    i still have scars from the bear trap pedals!

i ride my old free agent around with my son sometimes.

rad

nyquist?? speak up, bro. you got some fans on here!!

12. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Yup, street and parks.

13. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

I raced NBL at local track for like 2 months then just used the track for jumping practice years ago. I still have my FOUR sonic in the garage. I grab it and do some 180's on my way to the parts store.
    It's been years since I've hit trails but as soon as my brother gets his 56' out my backyard I'm building my first mini. Never thought I would live to have a backyard of my own and stil be able to ride. I just hope I can still take the abuse.
    But hey Fuzzy and DMC are still at it why can't we all?

14. Stoner

Stoner

Not BMX, but I still have my Hutch Windstyler from '84. And the scars, too...

15. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

I work at a bike shop and ride an SE Racing OM Flyer every day. I've got some gears on it, so I go trail riding on it with my mountain bike friends

16. i rode for standard for a few years...then the bmx passion sort of faded into cars. im not complaining but i miss riding every day

17. uhhh what is your name?

18. AaronP

AaronP
    from Hooker, OK

Hell yeah, Raced in Las Cruces, El Paso, Albuquer. and Tucson all the time. Rode a Redline and Kuwahara. Started racing motocross instead in 82'. I still mountain bike and race motocross (not the smartest thing at 35 y.o.). Thanks for bringin this up, brought back some good memories.

19. Still ride street and a little dirt. We are getting a city dirtjump park to go with our skate park! I ride a Joey Garcia Automatic that I bought while at my last shop when he rode for Schwinn. With 13 acres and a hill at my new place I will build my own pumptrack and dirt jumps! Also ride road and Mountain several times a week. Go by surlytman on MTBr and Tman on the Dirt Rag forum.

20. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I used to as well. I was still messing with them a few years ago and still have a few parts left. Was thinking about building another "Beater Bike" to ride around on.

This was my FIRST bike (and first project vehicle!) circa 1981...and old Sears Spyder that I converted to a cool trail blazer with "bolt-ons" from the Schwnn shop and from friends' spare parts!

Attached Files:

21. tred

tred

yeah it does.
    i thought this thread would be closed, but since it ain't...

i just recently donated my pristine 1983 era Powerlite to a local but big name bike shop: WOODEN WHEELS bikes.
    who remembers Powerlites?

like a lot of freestylers, i raced waaay back in the day and either sucked at it or disliked it. bought another bike and rode street, flat and half pipes after that. those spinning tricks were the absolute shit! :D

my nickname, "tred" comes from my street days. we were riding love park in philly and were chased out by the cops (also great fun) and in an effort to avoid hitting a moving car, i actually tried to bunny hop the hood (i was able to almost get it that high back in the day) and the car turned in to my direction. i slammed right into the door, the result left a huge tred mark along the passenger door. those bear trap pedals saved my left ankle from bing crushed, the cage shattered but the shaft did not budge. there's a reason why those shafts are as wide as a human foot.

i drove a green ford torino station wagon which had signatures from every big name rider up to 1989 on it in sharpie marker, i gotta dig up a photo. it was shown in several magazines (just a small blurb), and the odd part is i didn't even start it, someone wrote something on it, then r.l. osborne saw it and drew a picture on the car, the it sort of snowballed.
    needless to say, that car went all over the northeast, midwest and down south, we never missed a show and we rode ALL over the place listening to dead kennedys and corrosion of conformity, etc.

goddamn i miss those times. :eek:

22. patrick87

patrick87
    from brenham tx

Damn I didnt know so many people on here rode and even a few pros.

23. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

I used to race... started in like 78 and stopped in 84 when my dad got my bike stolen when he left the garage open... ehrrr I am still pissed at him for it haha. I still get my bmx on at the local skateparks but just getting my carve on in the bowls and try to keep the tread on the ground at all times. I have made a living for 8 years shooting BMX photos until 2months ago when I started doing granite counter tops for a weekly check and health insurance.

ONGC has a BMX hanging in the garage like a piece of spiderweb art... he needs to air up the tires some day and get RAD with me haha. I know he has some crazy knee problems from the BMX days in San Diego.

Here are a few shots I have taken lately

Attached Files:

24. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Wow this post is still goin.
    So slightly on topic. The tabletop king Vic Murphy had an interveiw a couple of years ago in Ride. I was stoked to see that he was building cars. They had some pics of a chopped chevy and a american flag painted model-A. Does anybody know him.

25. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

I think ONGC used to ride with Vic...

Wait till you see the shoebox that My buddy Heath Pinter is building... really clean and proper... he also is building a chopped 41ford right now... he is in the first 2 shots with the sunsets.

26. KoppaK

KoppaK

Yeah I had a basic Mongoose for a while and used to race it here in the UK, it was way too heavy though so sold it on and built myself a lightweight based on a Raleigh Rampar, frame Skyways, ,CW? Pro barsRenthal Ally lay back seat post and those Graphite pedals that ripped your shins down to the bone when you got it wrong . Sold it when I was 16 to buy my first Motorcycle. Yamaha FSIE. Shit! the memories.

27. Me too, WAAAAAAAAY back. Worked at a Schwinn dealership when I was 14 & 15 with a work permit from school. Built custom 500.00-1000.00 everyday. What a life. Rode on the our Schwinn team. We started selling SE stuff when it first came out, we were the first farthest east dealer, Scott Briedhaupt, Stu Thompson, Perry Kramer were at our shop several times. Stu gave my friend the first STR-1 after the first season and I bought it from him, then just sold it off like a dummy, talk about naming your price now...:rolleyes: My boss went to Cali. to work for Scott, three other guys in town here became Factory SE riders.

....78 & 79 were way early in the BMX for Illinois....

Attached Files:

28. johnnyford

johnnyford
    from FLORIDUH

Still doing it in 40-44 Cruiser(NBL) today. I started back in the NBA days at Fountain Valley Boy's Club('77-'80).

I am a regular at vintage BMX. If none of you old BMXer's are aware of it, check it out. It is a great site. http://www.vintagebmx.com

29. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i do mainly street cause i suck at park but i havent for a while cause i hurt my back.

Attached Files:

30. gowjobs

gowjobs

Wow... brings back memories. I raced in the early eighties, but since I lived in the same home town as the national #1 expert in my age class (It was always a tossup between Darwin Griffin and Eric Rupe back then), you can imagine I was usually competing for second place. I ended up racing cruisers for a little while for the local bike shop team, then put 24" Tuff Wheels on my VDC Gorilla (supposedly the only white one made) and rode ramp and street with it for a couple of years until I went into the Navy at the end of '87.

I've been really jonesing to build an all-purpose urban assault bike lately - maybe a BMX cruiser with a 3-speed rear hub or maybe a mountainbike without derailleurs to flop around when I'm stupid enough to try to regain my brake-lock helicopter skills.

Anybody else remember the Las Vegas nationals ('84?) when Eric and Darwin got tangled up in the last berm, and Darwin reached out as he went down and grabbed ahold of Rupe's back tire, yanking the bike from under him? There were reasons that a rider as good as Darwin was couldn't keep a sponsor.