Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 Chevy Sedan Death Wobble (Help!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zac B, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

So, a few weeks ago I was driving to a local car show in my '37 Chevy & after turning onto a bumpy road my steering wheel started shaking like a SOB. I quickly came to a stop and the death wobble went away. I hadn't felt it for a few weeks until this morning when I was driving to a local swap meet here in town and sure enough, I turned onto another bumpy ass road and the death wobble showed up, shook me to death until I came to a complete stop, then disappeared.
    It seems like it is only triggered by rough roads & goes away when I come to a stop. There is some play in the steering at all times. I have all new tires & shocks on the car and drove it the last year or so with no death wobble. I've been doing some research and have seen a laundry list of possible causes. I've attached some pictures I had on my phone of my front end set up for your reference. I plan on taking it to a local front end shop next week, but wanted to get some insight from the forum first.
    Thanks
    IMG_5592.JPG IMG_5593.JPG IMG_5596.JPG IMG_5592.JPG IMG_5593.JPG IMG_5596.JPG IMG_5598.JPG IMG_5600.JPG

2. BJR

BJR

Warn king pins/bushings, bad bushings in the ends of the springs, bad tie rod ends, you get the picture, fix anything that is loose. You said there was play in the steering, fix it. Check the caster and toe in. Good luck, BJR.

Zac B likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

It looks like big ol' truck tires on there - try it with a different smaller pair ...
    If it's in as good condition as it appears, roll another 3 - 4 degrees caster into it & try it.
    The springs in the drag link & tierod ends tend to metal fatique & break, so check by taking them apart - it's hard to make sure when installed.

4. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Usually that is caused by worn out kingpins and bushings.

5. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Might as well order it all and rebuild like new

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

King pins and bushings . While your at it add a steering stabilizer.

7. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Tires are brand new 6.00x16 bias ply Coker's. Less than 300 miles on them. I'm planning on digging into it a little further in the garage today & see what I can come up with. Thanks for all th advice!

IMG_4972.JPG

TFoch, Fern 54 and turboroadster like this.
  8. Zippi

Zippi

I had this happen on my 37 Ford pickup. It will get your attention really quick. I already had new shocks in front, front tires re-balanced and everything felt really tight. Maybe a little to tight as the front end is really stiff. Running the stock frame and a reverse eye spring in front with disk brakes. My wishbone ball was loose so I replaced the bolts and cotter pins. I also lowered the air pressure in my tires from 32 psi to 30 psi and it gives a little smoother ride. I now try and dodge all the pot holes so I look like a drunk driver on the road. Haven't had it happen in some time now so I don't know if I really helped anything or not.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I had that happen only with non or incorrectly balanced bias ply tires even with vehicles that had IFS and never had it happen yet with radials,give the suspension a good look over and maybe have the balance on the front tires rechecked.

10. Joe H

Joe H

You have the same basic front end as my '37 truck does, mine drives great with all rebuilt parts. Start by checking the dragline ends, they are adjustable. Tighten the end caps till they won't turn, then back off one slot and replace the cotter key. Your tie-rod ends appear to be "modern type" with no adjustment. Check the kingpins and wheel bearings for play, then move to the steering gear box. They are simple to adjust and it makes a difference in driving. Look here at section #9 for adjustment procedures 37csnindex.htm

Joe

302GMC likes this.
  11. While your at it,add new ball joints and drag link to the list. HRP

12. Ball joints?

13. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

I think you should get longer rubber brake hoses, those are way to short, for your own safety.

14. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

check the bolts in your steering box and make sure they are not sheard .

Zac B likes this.
  15. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Check steering box adjustment for sure , make sure it has lube in it, I like john deere corn head grease. You can jack up front end just enough to get tires off the ground and grab pass side wheel and rock back and forth while looking for play in tie rod ends , drag link etc. and a steering stabilizer is a good addition. My 37 has an OE steering box with NOS gears and I added the newer style tie rod ends + added some caster to it. No wobbles so far...

Zac B likes this.
  16. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Spent a little time tonight tinkering with the steering issue. Looks like it's coming from the play in the steering box. I can turn the wheels all the way one direction and manually create the same wobble I feel during the death wobble and it seems as if it's all coming from that play in the steering box. I've done some reading and it seems as if rock auto will rebuild your steering box to the tune of $235. Anyone done this or have any reccomendations? Not looking to go any route where I have to change a bunch of components or lose my stock banjo steering wheel.
    Thanks

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

I would be leery of sending my steering box to rock auto. they told me they had a brake booster for a Torino that I was doing . After ordering it, a week later they said they did not have one and couldn't get one. Then had to wait 7 business days to get a refund.
    you may send it and never see it again.

18. ...check the ads in Hemmings Motor News, there's a few companies that rebuild steering boxes,...

Zac B likes this.
  19. Joe H

Joe H

Kits are available online and the work is pretty straight forward. The hardest part is getting it out of the car.
    Chevrolet_Steering_Gear_Overhaul_Kit_Straight_Axle_Car.html bearing kit

360494843513 sector shaft

362037409169 worm gear

With these three parts, you can have a NOS gear box, which will be way better then what RockAuto could ever build you. If you need help help, let me know, I could give you hand with it. I built a couple using these old NOS parts. I have a rebuilt '37 truck box and a rebuilt '46 truck box in my truck now, both worked like new.

Zac B likes this.
  20. Joe H

Joe H

282696640606 here is another worm gear, hard to believe you can still find them, it took for ever to find a truck one.
    122736893490 another sector.