Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tornados suck! I'll take earthquakes anytime!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Apr 22, 2006.

1. I'm a transplanted California boy living in Missouri. These tornadoes scare the shit out of me. We have a tornado season here, that means every year. This year they have been real close, this place is 2 miles from me. I didn't even know about this car. There's another T in there someplace. This tornado cut a path about 1 mile from my house and headed north east. Luckily no loss of life with this tornado, but the one a week before killed 3 people. That one was about ten miles from me. This one was about 2 or 3 weeks ago. We've been pretty lucky since then, only tornado warnings. I'll take a Calif earthquake over a tornado anyday! Dean

Attached Files:

2. I have family in Edmond OK. We were out visiting them in 2000, about two weeks after an F5 touched down a couple miles away and ate a strip mall. The path of destruction this thing left was a mile wide. On that one day they said 170 tornados were reported in Oklahoma!! Anyhoo, we're talking about the tornados, and my cousin mentioned he was thinking about retiring to Florida. His wife said she thought she could deal with the "hurrikins" okay, but by God, she'd never move to California, what with "all those earthquakes":eek: :eek:

I think I'll take the earthquakes.

3. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Tornados aint bad you sit on your porch watch em come in and when they get close you get in the basement and drink beer untill there gone. If your lucky they happen at night and your friends come over to use your basement and help with the beer drinkin. Earthquakes sneak up on ya from underground now thats scary.

4. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Might have been the May 3rd '99 tornado. It started southeast of OKC and traveled over 100 miles. Wiped out the outlet mall at Stroud, next to the Turner Turnpike. It was down to an F1 by the time it hit Tulsa. I stood out on the front porch and watched the flashes from transformers blowing as it took out the 2nd floor of a church a few blocks away.

It's all what you're used to, most of us that have grown up here will take the tornados over the earthquakes.

5. Yup. That's the one. Did the Power Tour in '99 and '00. Stopped to visit both years. Kinda blurs together. Seeing a tornado is on my list of cool things to do. Hell, I've slept through every earthquake we've had since '94. Most of 'em aren't any worse than someone farting on the other end of a picnic bench.

6. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

You can hide from a tornado - there's nowhere to run from an earthquake!

7. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Growing up in Kansas its just one of those things you get used too.
    Worst I can recall is weathering an outbreak out in Joplin several years ago.

Seen my fair share, F1-F4's Never seen an F5, came through Moore, OK 2 days after that '99 one. Wow spectacular destruction!

Coolest I've witness were dualing F-1's on I-70 just west of Topeka. Was coming home from college in Manhattan, and looked out my right window and there they were. Just cruising along about 60mph twisting around each other about a 1/2 mile south. Was soooooo cool, they were white initially before getting all cluttered up with loose topsoil from the crop fields they were crossing.

Now I live in south Texas, and my 1st real hurricane scare was this past season with Rita. Fuck a hurricane!!!!! Mass hysteria insued, for a week!
    I sat out and drank beer the whole night when Rita came ashore. We were on the clean side, and the worst was, everytime I got up to get another beer I'd have to go chase my chair down when I came back. TxRat didn't fair as well but they could have got it worse.

8. Roupe

Roupe

Tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, mudslides, or wild fires it doesn't matter where you live everyone gets some form of mother natures power. It just depends where you were born and what your use to.

9. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

I've been in two tornados, and a earthquakes, i dont like like none of it, just wish mother nature would leave me the hell alone!

10. McGrath

McGrath

You didn't exactly pick the greatest spot in Missouri anyway, as far as storms go. Seems like the Sedalia/Marshall area gets more bad storms than anywhere else in central MO.

11. pool

pool

I'm about 50 miles east of you. It seems like everytime we get warnings it's right on top of you and headed this way. Welcome to the state of misery.

12. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I'm kind of like indashop, a transplanted Jayhawker, and live on the South Texas coast. Back in the 80's a hurricane was approaching and some friends of mine decided to evacuate to Austin. While they were staying at the hotel, a tornado hit the hotel across the street. :eek: Can you believe that shit. The worst tornado I was in (even after growing up in Kansas) Alabama of all places. Two tornados hit that night. The first at 730PM and hit Huntsville proper. the second went through Red Stone Arsenal. RSA was a training facility for ICBM, yeah the big ones. Talk about a security nightmare. April 4, 1974 the clocks stopped at 11:10PM.

13. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I thought I saw that coupe on the news clip.. and I agree with you ,I miss California,nothing like a free roller-coaster ride:D

14. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I don't know about earthquakes, but I lived through a F4 tornado in 1985. I do not want to do that again.

I watch the sky's and the news closely whenever there's a threat now. It still gives me the chills.

15. Yep, I got a whole new respect for tornados after one came trough Plainfield, IL years ago. I was living about 20 miles away and was getting ready to go for a bike ride when I saw the storm coming in. It was rolling on its side. I stood outside talking with the neighbor, watching the storm. I casully remarked, "That looks like the kind ofstorm a tornado comes outta." The storm passed, sun came out and I took my ride.

When I cam home the neighbor said, "You were right. A tornado just hit Plainfield." The wife and I took a drive out there 2 days later and I'll admit it, I got choked up seeing the destruction. I could not have imagined how bad it was. TV does not do justice to what devastation they wreak. Personal items everywhere, papers, shoes in trees, pictures of family events, I saw a fork stuck in a tree. Everything was everywhere and the houses were gone. Even that Studebaker I'd been eyeballing for years was nowhere to be seen.

Everytime I hear the warnings on the radio or TV I take them very seriously now.

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have lived in Nebraskas tornado alley for 60 years and god has been good to me. I have watched homes, farms and towns all around me distroyed. I worry about it everytime there's a watch. I would hate to lose my lifes collection of cars but losing a life or being injured would be worse. Don't know where to move to where mother nature doesn't put somekind of shit into your life.

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess an occasional snow storm isn't so bad after all............:eek:

18. Winfab

Winfab

Tornado, earthquake, tsunami, hurricane, wildfire.......does it really matter WHAT hits you? If you're in the center of the hit your stuff will be destroyed, scattered, burned, washed away......

Just a few weeks ago a couple was aparently driving away (fleeing) from their house in southeast Missouri to get away from a tornado heading directly toward them. The tornado turned and caught them and they were killed. Ironically their house wasn't hit. Who's to know what's best?

I've been fortunate enough to have not ever been hit by any natural disaster but may be next. I live where I've chosen to and/or seem to have needed to be.

19. blue57ford

blue57ford

We have had only a few tornados in the Laredo area in the last 30 years. The one thing that worries me is the hail. From march till about the beginning of september, bad thunder storms form from the mountains of Mexico and make there way over. When one of them hit, watch out. Aside from that, its the heat that is a real pain. In the last week and a half, we had highs of 107, 107, 104, 105, and 101.

20. sir

sir

I lived in califorina for 40+ years...if there was a choise..I would rather watch shit fall down than get blown away.you just pick it up...with a tornado you gotta go looking for it..and when I got tired of picking up all my shit...I moved to OREGON.......

21. guiseart

guiseart

I hear that!

22. Well I was in downtown Anchorage on March 27th 1964 at 5:37 PM and I will tell you what, you can have my spot there for the next one anytime!! WAS NOT FUN!! Just death and destruction.

23. slacker91

slacker91
    from Emmaus, PA

Emmaus PA...no earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, wild fires, fairly easy winters...its the perfect place to live! except its sucha small, sucky town...

24. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

I don't get any of those in north Ga./Al., except hurricanes bring in high winds & heavy rain - about like a *really* bad thunderstorm.
    What I don't understand is why the HELL folks that get hit by hurricanes & tornadoes keep rebuilding with STICK BUILT HOUSES!!!
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

I don't take shit; I don't give a shit. I'm not in the shit business.

25. I was in the 1954 'quake in Eureka, Cal...I was only 6 but I remember the churches on both corners of the intersection self destructing....fire shooting outta the streets where the gas mains broke...
    I was only 50 miles from Mt St Helens when it blew in '80. Now, I live in Tornado alley and have since July, 80. I've had 2 new roofs put on my house in that time because of storm damage...
    There's always gonna be some danger from natural disasters anywhere you are. Just try to prepare. ................and pray.

26. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what the house is built from if it gets a direct hit from an F4 or F5. The May 3rd tornado that hit Moore, Ok not only destroyed the houses, but ripped up some the streets too. When it comes to an F4 or F5, best bet is underground.

27. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Having lived in central Illinios for most of my life, I understand air moving very rapidly,, I didn't understand what was happening in 87 when we had a very minor earthquake here. In my mind air moves, dirt don't. Its all in what you are used to.

28. RATCAMINO

RATCAMINO

lived in kansas and nebraska my whole life i chase the fuckers it fun . my biggest complaint is the goddamn snow and but ass cold weather

29. Nik

Nik

When I was living in Illinois I had a twister touch down about 100 yards in front of my house, go right across the corner of my yard and then go thru the cornfield and take the top half of my neighbor's house off and take down a barn that had stood for almost a hundred years. Definitley scary stuff.

Lived in Cali and it seemed like there was always a minor tremor going on.

Lived in Miami where I never went thru a hurricane, but saw what they were capable of.

Now I live in New Mexico and I get to deal with wild fires. Last one burned up tens of thousands of acres. This natural disaster stuff SUCKS.

Nik

30. We had some pretty nasty hail once..lasted almost 10 minutes too....:);)
    The washing on the line got pretty wet!!!

I love my city.

(Melbourne, Australia)